Apple plans new 'Apple Watch SE,' faster models, extreme sports version

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2021
The 2021 "Apple Watch Series 7" for 2021 will be faster with a better screen -- and Apple is reportedly working on more health features, and an extreme sports model alongside a revised entry-level Apple Watch for 2022.

Apple Watch Series 7 Render
Source: Jon Prosser

Following recent claims that the "Apple Watch Series 7" is to feature a redesigned chassis, a new report says that the primary difference is to be in performance and the screen. While not ruling out a redesign that might feature flatter edges, the new report says only that the casing may be marginally thicker.

According to Bloomberg, the extra thickness of the 2021 will not be noticeable. Apple has reportedly also been testing thinner display borders for the Watch, as well as a new lamination method that is said to bring the display closer to the front cover.

Beyond that, Bloomberg claims that the new "Series 7" will feature a faster processor, and some improvements to wireless connectivity that includes Ultra Wideband. The previously-rumored glucose monitoring feature will not be in the 2021 Apple Watch, and remains several years away.

This Bloomberg report backs up previous claims that Apple is working on a more ruggedized Apple Watch. Unlike the previous reports, however, this extreme sports edition is now said to be due in 2022.

Alongside this "Explorer," or "Adventure," version, Apple is reportedly also preparing a new entry-level Apple Watch for 2022. The range is expected to then include the sports version, the revamped Apple Watch SE, and also the "Apple Watch Series 8."

That 2022 "Series 8" release is predicted to have a body temperature sensor, as Apple continues its push to add more health features to Apple Watch.

Although Apple will not announce the new "Apple Watch Series 7" until later in the year, it has revealed at least the major details of its forthcoming watchOS 8. It, too, concentrates on health, with the introduction of a new mindfulness app plus improvements to its fitness and workout features.

There is also a new Walking Steadiness feature, which measures the wearer's gait as they walk. Tracking the detail over time, it can determine a person's steadiness and alert them if it deteriorates.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Body temp could possibly be helpful beyond just being replacement for your household thermometer -- but also for endurance sports.

A few years ago I worked on the medical team for the Pittsburgh Marathon.  One year was warmer than most and we had about a dozen runners enter the medical tent with body temps over 110 degrees.  They were cooled as quickly as possible (we had an ice bath available) and transported to a tier one hospital.

My personal experience with that was transporting a young mother and her infant to the hospital where her husband had been sent (she wasn't able to go in the ambulance because it was not equipped with a car seat to transport her infant).   Throughout that trip she didn't know if she would find her husband alive when we got there.   Fortunately, as it turned out, he was alive and recovering well.

But that was at a marathon with full medical facilities and staff (it was bigger and better staffed than the ER in most community hospitals).   Most races do not have that level of care and the racers are much more on their own.

In my own experience:   I had trained hard for a 10K on a shady trail and I knew that I could complete the race without slowing or stopping to hydrate.  It was a great plan -- except I neglected to take into account that the actual race was in open sun.   As a result I dehydrated and the over heated -- which I knew from the symptoms.   Being able to check my temperature during the race would have alerted me and not only saved me the discomfort but I likely would have set a personal best time.

I can see how this would be helpful to endurance athletes.
    patchythepiratecanukstorm
  • Reply 2 of 12
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    No thanks, my series6 if just fine….unless it comes out w glucose monitoring….which for sure will sell out like hot cakes
    qwerty52williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    New redesign better be a looker!
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No thanks, my series6 if just fine….unless it comes out w glucose monitoring….which for sure will sell out like hot cakes
    I know it's a bit of a heresy, but you know you don't have to upgrade every single time, right? I went from the original to series 4,  then upgraded early to the series 6 in order to get the blood oxygen monitoring feature. (BC)
    Beatsurashidspock1234williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Do hot cakes sell out?  And, do you eat so many that you need glucose monitoring to know when to stop?  :wink: 
    right_said_fredmartinp13Beatsbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hmlongco said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    I know it's a bit of a heresy, but you know you don't have to upgrade every single time, right? I went from the original to series 4,  then upgraded early to the series 6 in order to get the blood oxygen monitoring feature. (BC)
    I went from series 2 (Company Holiday gift) to Series4, then Series 5, and then Series6. I don't think never updated my phone every year (mostly 2-3 years between updates. 3G/4/5/6/7/X/12.....unless 7 to X was a 1 year gap). This time though, from the rumors that has been reported here on Appleinsider, I probably won't upgrade my watch this year.

Apple should have an upgrade program like the phone for the watch. I would probably do (I haven't for phone though).
  • Reply 7 of 12
    hmlongco said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    I did the same:  went from a Series 0 (later a Series 1 when Apple replaced it because the haptic engine died)  to a Series 4.   But now it looks like I may be stuck with the Series 4 for awhile because Apple just shipped me a new one a couple weeks ago when the EKG function on the original one died (the magic of Applecare!).

But, surprisingly, when I resurrected the Series 1 while I waited for the replacement that old Series 1 ran surprisingly well!    Except that my favorite watch face was missing and it didn't have fall detection or LTE, most of the time, I couldn't tell the difference!

• Reply 8 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The rugged version should have a cheap option(SE?) for kids.
    spock1234qwerty52
  • Reply 9 of 12
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    This Bloomberg report backs up previous claims that Apple is working on a more ruggedized Apple Watch.

Does it back up previous claims, or does it just repeat them? Usually these Bloomberg "reports" hedge their bets with an, "Apple could decide not to make it," disclaimer so they can always say they weren't wrong, Apple changed their plans. Not the most reliable source of Apple news, or tech new generally. Remember "The Big Hack"? 
    JapheyBeats
  • Reply 10 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I went from the Series 0 to the 3. Been looking to upgrade. Not sure if I should wait for the 7 or take advantage of some of the deals put there for the Series 6 (starting at about $70 off).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    supadav03 said:
    I went from the Series 0 to the 3. Been looking to upgrade. Not sure if I should wait for the 7 or take advantage of some of the deals put there for the Series 6 (starting at about $70 off).
    The good news is:   You probably can't go wrong no matter which way you go on that!

Beats
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I’d love an extreme sports version … so I can take it into the sauna. 🙄