Beats Studio Buds launches with ANC at $150, ships June 24

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Apple subsidiary Beats by Dre has launched its Beats Studio Buds, wireless earphones that offer active noise cancellation in an extremely compact package.

Launched on Monday, the Beats Studio Buds are wireless earbuds that follow after the company's previous attempt, the Beats Powerbeats Pro. However, the new product offers a few small differences from its predecessor that brings it more in line with Apple's AirPods Pro.

The Beats Studio Buds are very small, fitting into the ear canal with a small casing visible by other people. While the Powerbeats Pro used a hook that fit around the ear to secure it in place, the Studio Buds instead rely on the friction of the silicone eartip against the ear canal to stay lodged in the ear.

The earbuds use a proprietary dual-element diaphragm driver inside a two-chamber housing, which Beats claims provides clear sound with outstanding stereo separation. Like the AirPods Pro, the Studio Buds also include Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency, borrowing the technology from its Apple counterpart to allow users to hear environmental sounds.

However, rather than using Apple's H1 or W1 chips, Beats uses its own chip to provide its features. This means there's no automatic switching between Apple devices nor iCloud usage for pairing like with the AirPods Pro.

However, it does include one-touch pairing with both Apple and Android devices. While elements such as built-in controls, battery levels, and firmware updates are built into iOS, Android users will be able to access the same features using the Beats app.

Another thing that Beats is borrowing is the use of a USB-C Charging case, which can provide power to the Studio Buds when they are stowed away. Support for Find My is also available for relocating lost earbuds, using either their last known location or by playing a sound to help in their recovery.

The multi-function "b" button on each of the earbuds can be used to answer and end calls, to manage content playback, and to toggle the ANC and Transparency modes.

Each bud can last for 8 hours of listening with ANC off, 5 hours on between charges, with the case enabling a total of 24 hours of usage with ANC off or 15 with it enabled while on the go. A fast-charging capability is also offered, with an hour of playback provided after a five-minute Fast Fuel charge.

Available from June 24, the Beats Studio Buds will be offered in red, white, and black color options, and will retail for $149.99 at Amazon, Adorama.com and at BHPhotoVideo.com.

Arguably, the Beats Studio Buds are Apple's worst-kept secret in recent history, with it seen in public worn by sports stars Alex Morgan and LeBron James, appearing in a music video and on Best Buy's website before launch, and even being leaked in an iOS beta.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Nice design with nice colors and nice features at a nice price.   Nice.
    sdw2001[Deleted User]Beatsn2itivguyapplguydoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 25
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Very nice indeed….is the battery case charging wirelessly?? 
    sdw2001williamlondonBeatsn2itivguy
  • Reply 3 of 25
    How do they maintain their current Air Pod pricing with that $150 price point?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

No mention I can see of which what the chip is, but I assume H1
  • Reply 5 of 25
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    The three “b”s in the picture look like three sixes. A tribute to the price of the Apple 1, or…?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

There was mention in the article. This thing does NOT use any Apple chip (H1 or otherwise). It says Beats is using their own chip. This means there is no instant pairing with Apple devices, no iCloud syncing between devices, no automatic switching, and I’m guessing no ability to use spatial audio. I have no idea why they did this, this is a complete deal-breaker for me, and I’m guessing many many others.
    winstoner71Beatsn2itivguyFileMakerFellermike54
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

There was mention in the article. This thing does NOT use any Apple chip (H1 or otherwise). It says Beats is using their own chip. This means there is no instant pairing with Apple devices, no iCloud syncing between devices, no automatic switching, and I’m guessing no ability to use spatial audio. I have no idea why they did this, this is a complete deal-breaker for me, and I’m guessing many many others.
    Mmm. 

Sounds odd. I’m probably going to wait for confirmation on that. 

Edit:

Odd, but true. 

I don’t mind them using their own chip, but no iCloud syncing? No spatial audio? Surely not!

Could be that Beats is being relegated to the non-luxury end of the market. 
    edited June 2021 williamlondonn2itivguyMplsP
  • Reply 8 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rayz2016 said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

Mmm. 

Sounds odd. I’m probably going to wait for confirmation on that. 
    That's mentioned in the AI article, perhaps updated since the OP said it wasn't. My guess is that unlike the Apple-branded product these Beats are meant to appeal to Android users too. 

"However, rather than using Apple's H1 or W1 chips, Beats uses its own chip to provide its features. This means there's no automatic switching between Apple devices nor iCloud usage for pairing like with the AirPods Pro.

However, it does include one-touch pairing with both Apple and Android devices. While elements such as built-in controls, battery levels, and firmware updates are built into iOS, Android users will be able to access the same features using the Beats app."
    patchythepiratespock1234doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 25
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

Agreed. Huge L if I can’t use Spatial Audio. I’ve been using my Powerbeats Pros just to use that feature and it’s incredible. 
    Beatsn2itivguydoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 25
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

Agreed. Huge L if I can’t use Spatial Audio. I’ve been using my Powerbeats Pros just to use that feature and it’s incredible. 
    Npo spatial audio was a guess from the OP. I haven't seen any confirmation either way on that.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

Npo spatial audio was a guess from the OP. I haven't seen any confirmation either way on that.
    9to5Mac have had a set for two weeks. Spatial audio is supported 🎉
    BeatsCloudTalkinn2itivguywinstoner71spock1234doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

There ya go. Thanks Rayz, that's what I would have expected. 
    stephanjobsdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    It is strange that they would go out of their way to develop a different chip instead of using Their own. Maybe to drop the price?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    Beats said:
    It is strange that they would go out of their way to develop a different chip instead of using Their own. Maybe to drop the price?
    Yeah, this doesn’t make a ton of sense. It almost like Apple didn’t allow the Beats team to use an H1 rather than Beats refusing to. It almost seems like a way for them to differentiate these from the AirPods Pro. After all, if it had an H1, what would be the determining factor between the two?
    spock1234
  • Reply 15 of 25
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

No it does not use the H1.  That's 100% intentional imo.  It uses a chip that allows for more compatibility parity with iOS and Android devices.  Beats is a universal brand.  Not as ecosystem focused as AirPods.  The price point does get you Spacial Audio and Dolby Atmos in Apple Music (soon on both platforms as well).    

Some may be turned off by the lack of ecosystem perks like iCloud sync and auto-switching.  For them, other Beats or AirPods are available.  But my guess is these weren't designed for the all-in Apple user.  These were designed for "erbody and they momma", regardless of ecosystem.  I'm guessing there are many, many, many more of those people out there who aren't all-in with Apple.  They might have an iPad and Samsung phone, iPhone and Dell XPS, or any mixed combination of products.  These Beats would be right up their alley.  

Price point, functionality, universal compatibility, plus the funky colors they're going to subsequently intro... I think these are going to be a hit.  The colors can be seen in the video that @Rayz2016 ; linked above.
    edited June 2021 winstoner71ronnhcrefugeecanukstormbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

Good news, thanks. 

• Reply 17 of 25
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
     with outstanding stereo separation

Well, we are talking about a pair of earbuds. How much more (or less) separation can there be?
    qwerty52
  • Reply 18 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    AF_Hitt said:
    wwinter86 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    No usb-c. 

No it does not use the H1.  That's 100% intentional imo.  It uses a chip that allows for more compatibility parity with iOS and Android devices.  Beats is a universal brand.  Not as ecosystem focused as AirPods.  The price point does get you Spacial Audio and Dolby Atmos in Apple Music (soon on both platforms as well).    

Some may be turned off by the lack of ecosystem perks like iCloud sync and auto-switching.  For them, other Beats or AirPods are available.  But my guess is these weren't designed for the all-in Apple user.  These were designed for "erbody and they momma", regardless of ecosystem.  I'm guessing there are many, many, many more of those people out there who aren't all-in with Apple.  They might have an iPad and Samsung phone, iPhone and Dell XPS, or any mixed combination of products.  These Beats would be right up their alley.  

Price point, functionality, universal compatibility, plus the funky colors they're going to subsequently intro... I think these are going to be a hit.  The colors can be seen in the video that @Rayz2016 ; linked above.
    Why would the H1 chip preclude android compatibility? They could still have all the Bluetooth functionality with non-Apple devices. 

I’m guessing Apple didn’t want them cannibalizing the AirPods Pro sales. 
    muthuk_vanalingamspock1234
  • Reply 19 of 25
    The three “b”s in the picture look like three sixes. A tribute to the price of the Apple 1, or…?
    Oh Man, you're right in that's the way it looks.....and the red one is solidly in the center.....they're Evil!!!!! ;)
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Looks like that is a no from the 9to5mac review. So I'm probably not getting it since I have the Wireless Powerbeats Pro

"The downside here, however, is that Beats Studio Buds case doesn’t feature any sort of wireless charging. You can just drop AirPods or AirPods Pro onto a wireless charger for quick power, but that’s not the case with Beats Studio Buds. They do, however, feature Fast Charge technology to add an hour of playback in just five minutes when the battery is low."