Some M1 iMac models appear to sit off-center due to manufacturing flaw

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Some M1 iMac buyers are reporting an apparent issue with the way that the device is mounted to its stand, causing some iMacs to sit slightly crooked when on a flat surface.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

One M1 iMac owner posted on the Apple Support Communities that their iMac was off-center with a difference of about 1mm between the left and right sides of the display. Another person complained about the issue on Reddit, stating that their iMac was "not completely level."

YouTuber iPhonedo also published a video depicting his affected iMac, which sat noticeably crooked. The YouTuber said he returned his device to Apple.

Additionally, MacRumors reports that an orange M1 iMac it purchased for testing purposes appeared to have a slant.

It isn't clear how exactly widespread the issue is, but reports suggest that it's a fairly limited problem. Unfortunately, the manufacturing defect doesn't appear to be user-fixable.

Apple customers who have recently purchased an M1 iMac should check if their displays are crooked before the two-week return window has elapsed. Apple has yet to acknowledge the issue, so dealing with a return means going through Apple Support. It's possible that Apple could allow for replacements or fixes after that period, however.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 257member
    1mm. I have no idea what apple’s tolerances are, but that can’t be far outside, if at all. something like that measurement could be an issue with the feet on the stand.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    In the spirit of the alleged Steve Jobs' "You're holding it wrong" and Apple's unfortunate penchant to respond slowly to reported product flaws, I see an opportunity for some ingenious entrepreneur to offer leveling wedges to be placed under the table legs thus bringing the iMac to the correct viewing position.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    The qA might be crossed eyes….ehehehe
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    The best part is his “Tim Apple” shirt.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    sbdude said:
    1mm. I have no idea what apple’s tolerances are, but that can’t be far outside, if at all. something like that measurement could be an issue with the feet on the stand.
    If it's noticeable, then it is too much. I remember getting a new LCD in the early days and it had one bad pixel (representing less than 0.0001% of all the pixels). It drove me nuts from day one so I exchanged it for one without a dead pixel.
    dewmechemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Hank2.0 said:
    In the spirit of the alleged Steve Jobs' "You're holding it wrong" and Apple's unfortunate penchant to respond slowly to reported product flaws, I see an opportunity for some ingenious entrepreneur to offer leveling wedges to be placed under the table legs thus bringing the iMac to the correct viewing position.
    That one person's iMac is noticeably crooked.  Apple's 14-day return policy would take care of this with zero problem.  It's not like it's a hidden defect that may take weeks to realize.  
    spock1234williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    sbdude said:
    1mm is pretty tiny - I doubt most people would notice (try it with your own display).

"Tim Apple"'s display was 4mm if I caught that correct. That's more noticeable. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    I've always viewed portrait display mode as one of my favourite features of macOS, and with the symmetrical bezel on the 27" Cinema and Thunderbolt displays, as well as VESA option these seemed as near as the best designed screens I've owned, and still do - I have long hoped for a chinless iMac with a more adjustable base such as hose from Ergotron, even as a BTO, to take advantage of this usability more easily...
  • Reply 9 of 27
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I once knew an iKnockoff moron who claimed “Android never has problems!” “But with Apple this shit happens every time!!” Referring to the media circus’.

This will probably be blown out of proportion because no one cares about other companies. If it affects 14 people it’s the next “gate”.
    spock1234williamlondonRonnyDaddy
  • Reply 10 of 27
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member
    Tilt-Gate!  I called it!
    williamlondonJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Just call them the Forest Gump edition. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    6502 said:
    sbdude said:
    If it's noticeable, then it is too much. I remember getting a new LCD in the early days and it had one bad pixel (representing less than 0.0001% of all the pixels). It drove me nuts from day one so I exchanged it for one without a dead pixel.
    A dead pixel stands out like a sore thumb, hard to ignore. If someone notices the difference on the iMac, they have a lot of other problems in life.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sbdude said:
    Hopefully, even 1mm would be well out of the acceptable range for a display with no allowance for user adjustment. That's something that would drive me nuts since I'm very cognizant of straight and level as a long-time graphic artist and photographer. Heck, I'd be more tolerant of a lone dead pixel.

OK maybe not.  
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I notice that the 'Tim Apple' guy didn't bother to establish that his desk is actually level first. Not saying that's the issue with the iMac, but if the desk isn't level...then it's not going to matter if the iMac is level. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So the 'Tim Apple' guy doesn't know his iPhone has a built-in digital level? Why is he using a half-assed right angle twisty-tie and a plastic ruler to show the tilt?
    iPhone may be alright for quick and dirty measurements, but for anything you want any level of credible precision I’d always prefer something physical. I’d trust that plastic ruler way more than Measure.app
  • Reply 16 of 27
    gatorguy said: Hopefully, even 1mm would be well out of the acceptable range for a display with no allowance for user adjustment. That's something that would drive me nuts since I'm very cognizant of straight and level as a long-time graphic artist and photographer. Heck, I'd be more tolerant of a lone dead pixel. 
    A lot of digital artists and designers use swing arm attachments. What percentage of the time are those actually level? Yes, the iMac you buy should have a level screen, but the idea that people are that sensitive to level differences isn't really true. It's not that easy to recognize 1 to 2 degree differences.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    crowley said: iPhone may be alright for quick and dirty measurements, but for anything you want any level of credible precision I’d always prefer something physical. I’d trust that plastic ruler way more than Measure.app
    He never proved his desk was level so he could be looking at "crooked" monitors every day regardless. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    davdav Posts: 115member
    Introducing the new iShim, in colors to match your iMac!
    davgregJWSC
  • Reply 19 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said: Hopefully, even 1mm would be well out of the acceptable range for a display with no allowance for user adjustment. That's something that would drive me nuts since I'm very cognizant of straight and level as a long-time graphic artist and photographer. Heck, I'd be more tolerant of a lone dead pixel. 
    A lot of digital artists and designers use swing arm attachments. What percentage of the time are those actually level? Yes, the iMac you buy should have a level screen, but the idea that people are that sensitive to level differences isn't really true. It's not that easy to recognize 1 to 2 degree differences.
    ...and a lot of digital artists don't use swingarms. More often than not I don't. 

As far as being able to recognize level, I can spot a 2mm slant in a graphic over a 5 foot span and do (to the chagrin of my employees), so I guarantee I'd have no issue with noticing if my expensive new iMac's display had a flawed stand. I'm not special in that regard either even if not common, far from the only person who notices if something is out of level. 

My latest ASUS P329C's have very malleable stands including full vertical rotation for previewing portraits. What user value is there in a fixed unadjustable stand, and why would Apple not allow at least some minor tilt adjustment for an unlevel location? I did not know they had none until this article, so it just seems like a very odd design choice where pretty trumped utility. 

But in fairness it's not a machine meant for a designer anyway AFAICT so it might not matter much to most home users.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 20 of 27
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    I notice that the 'Tim Apple' guy didn't bother to establish that his desk is actually level first. Not saying that's the issue with the iMac, but if the desk isn't level...then it's not going to matter if the iMac is level. 
    Except that he clearly measured right and left and proved that it was not straight. 
    It doesn’t matter if his desk is level at a 45 degree angle or vertical. When measuring left edge and right edge from the surface of the desk, these measurements should be identical. 
    The wider the display the more noticeable it becomes. Clearly a defect and should be exchanged.  
    chemengin1