New Level Lock complete smart lock package with HomeKit arrives

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
On Tuesday, Level introduced its latest HomeKit-enabled smart lock -- branded simply as Level Lock -- and has a tiny form factor and fits between Level's existing smart lock solutions.

Level Lock in matte black
Level Lock in matte black

Level Lock is an all-in-one lock solution that includes the lock hardware as well as the smart components. It has a smaller footprint than previous models and Level claims that it is the smallest smart lock ever made.

From the outside, Level Lock looks like a standard deadbolt. The new model still fits all the smarts necessary for HomeKit control as well as Amazon Alexa into the smaller size.

"Smart home products are a frustrating trade-off, where consumers have to choose between technology or a thoughtful design," said John Martin, Level co-founder and CEO. "With a timeless design and advanced technology packed under the surface, the Level Lock lets consumers have it all. As the third option added to the Level product portfolio, we have expanded the range of invisible smart entry products designed to fit consumers' home designs, access needs, and family lifestyles."

Users can to lock and unlock the Level Lock via Siri from an iPhone or Apple Watch, or include the Level Lock in scenes. HomeKit also allows the Level Lock automatically unlock or lock as your arrive or leave.

Like the other Level products, it is made secure with 440C stainless steel and is BHMA AAA-certified for the highest quality security, durability, and reliability standards.

Level Lock fits in the middle of Level's lineup. It is priced at $249 and sits above the standard Level Bolt that just includes the smart components without any door hardware at $199 and the Level Touch at $329 which has touch-sensitive door hardware.

The Level Lock is now available direct from Level's website for $249. It is available in matte black, satin nickel, satin chrome, and polished brass.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Users can to lock and unlock the Level Lock via Siri from an iPhone or Apple Watch, or include the Level Lock in scenes. HomeKit also allows the Level Lock automatically unlock or lock as your arrive or leave.
    I thought HomeKit didn't allow Siri to unlock doors as a safety feature. (Preventing someone from yelling into an open window to unlock the front door.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Useless Message PosterUseless Message Poster Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    I can tell you it does - had the "base" level lock for months now - solid product.  I'm wondering how Level will work with the new way of unlocking your house via the wallet that rolls out with IOS 15. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mike1 said:

I thought HomeKit didn't allow Siri to unlock doors as a safety feature. (Preventing someone from yelling into an open window to unlock the front door.)
    You can unlock with Siri, but you have to do so on an authenticated device like an unlocked iPhone or an Apple Watch with Wrist Detection on. 

If you call out "Hey Siri" to a HomePod, it will ask you to authenticate on your iPhone using Face ID, Touch ID, or your password before the door gets unlocked.

I'm more curious how Level is going to allow users to automatically unlock upon returning home. The article says it uses HomeKit for that, but it's not really something that HomeKit supports. Geofencing can't be used to unlock a door, since HomeKit requires authentication to do so, and even so, unless Bluetooth proximity is involved it's not a good idea for most people as it's not nearly precise enough — you probably don't want your door unlocking automatically when you're still several hundred feet away from your house. Other locks like August use their own apps with a combination of geofencing and Bluetooth proximity so it only unlocks when you're reasonably close by.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    "Nothing on 1, nothing on 2, a small click out of 3, 4 is binding..."
    -LPL
  • Reply 5 of 13
    insync88insync88 Posts: 30member
    mike1 said:

You can unlock with Siri, but you have to do so on an authenticated device like an unlocked iPhone or an Apple Watch with Wrist Detection on. 

If you call out "Hey Siri" to a HomePod, it will ask you to authenticate on your iPhone using Face ID, Touch ID, or your password before the door gets unlocked.

I'm more curious how Level is going to allow users to automatically unlock upon returning home. The article says it uses HomeKit for that, but it's not really something that HomeKit supports. Geofencing can't be used to unlock a door, since HomeKit requires authentication to do so, and even so, unless Bluetooth proximity is involved it's not a good idea for most people as it's not nearly precise enough — you probably don't want your door unlocking automatically when you're still several hundred feet away from your house. Other locks like August use their own apps with a combination of geofencing and Bluetooth proximity so it only unlocks when you're reasonably close by.
    Level (using level bolt) uses geofencing and Bluetooth through its own app.I had it set up through HomeKit (using a scene) but it would always ask to authenticate,with the level app my door unlocks automatically once I’m in Bluetooth range.
    edited June 2021 williamlondonjhollingtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    My front door warps just enough from atmospheric changes (temp and humidity) that the deadbolt won’t go into its socket without my having to either push or pull on the handle depending on the season. Experts say wait until it happens, then adjust the strike plate. Fine, until the season changes again. So much for gadgets. 
    edited June 2021 StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 13
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    A key is worth more than the price of one of these NFC or Bluetooth locks.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    My front door warps just enough from atmospheric changes (temp and humidity) that the deadbolt won’t go into its socket without my having to either push or pull on the handle depending on the season. Experts say wait until it happens, then adjust the strike plate. Fine, until the season changes again. So much for gadgets. 
    This.  My front door faces due west and also needs some persuasion from time to time.  And I’ve replaced all hinge and strike plate screws with 4” long heavy duty screws that pull the door a bit requiring an extra push/pull to be fully aligned when closing to get that click.  So as much as I want to get this new Level Lock I have to wonder what the tolerance range is on door alignment.  The tapered bolt should be able to help align if it has enough force and length.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    insync88 said:

Level (using level bolt) uses geofencing and Bluetooth through its own app.I had it set up through HomeKit (using a scene) but it would always ask to authenticate,with the level app my door unlocks automatically once I’m in Bluetooth range.
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured it had to do, as August does the same. The article suggested it was using HomeKit for this, which had me a bit skeptical. 

Personally, I'm kind of waiting to see how the whole Home Key thing ends up working in iOS 15 et al, and then perhaps we'll also see some HomeKit-specific locks that don't rely on separate apps, similar to how Logitech's HomeKit cameras and doorbell now works. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    insync88 said:

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured it had to do, as August does the same. The article suggested it was using HomeKit for this, which had me a bit skeptical. 

Personally, I'm kind of waiting to see how the whole Home Key thing ends up working in iOS 15 et al, and then perhaps we'll also see some HomeKit-specific locks that don't rely on separate apps, similar to how Logitech's HomeKit cameras and doorbell now works. 
    Indeed, that would seem a bit more secure. No third-party interface with offsite cloud access; just HomeKit.
    jhollingtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Yeah ditto, old house with wood frame. Solution is likely to rebuild or reframe the door, but…eh
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    If it’s just a slight adjustment, you could always take a file and shave it down slightly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    The strike plate hole and bolt are both “oversized” and I had to adjust the strike plate (and do some creative wood carving in the door frame) to get it to reliably work, but once I did it almost never misses. (Original level lock).  Mine is installed on the door from the garage into the house.  (It is a test of the lock — I have a couple more not yet installed). 

I have it as part of a scene that also turns off the Honeywell alarm system, and once I get the garage door hooked up, I’ll add that.   I just tell Siri through the watch “arrive home”  and it unlocks the door to the house from the garage and turns off the alarm system and soon will open the main garage door for entry into the garage with the car. 

HomeKit geofences this scene as part of an automation so I can also just tap on my watch to run it when it asks me.  
    cg27watto_cobra