Nomad debuts AirTag holder to fit in your wallet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
In what will be Nomad's sixth AirTag-specific device, the company has introduced a new holder that allows AirTag to easily fit into your wallet without a large bump.

Card for AirTag
Card for AirTag

Simply named Card for AirTag, it has a strong polycarbonate frame with a soft-touch TPU surface. AirTag easily snaps into the center which slowly tapers to the edges. It can then slide into your wallet and rids you of the small bump for a more tapered fit.

Card for AirTag inserted into Nomad's wallet
Card for AirTag inserted into Nomad's wallet

Apple's AirTag allows users to track attached devices -- with Nomad's AirTag holder, this includes your wallet. And, in the forthcoming iOS 15, you'll be able to get alerts if you leave your wallet behind whenever you leave your house, office, or restaurant.

This joins Nomad's other AirTag accessories such as their two leather keychain tags, glasses holder, rugged keychain, and pet collar tag.

Nomad has a new lineup of wallets
Nomad has a new lineup of wallets

Card for AirTag's announcement coincides with Nomad launching a whole new series of wallets with thermoformed leather for an improved shape that pairs perfectly. If you buy a wallet with Card for AirTag, Nomad will drop $5 off the purchase price.

You can preorder Card for AirTag now for $19.99 from Nomad's website. It is set to start shipping by September 28.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    I would have two questions for this one. What does the side view of that look like? The air tag itself seems a bit bulky, especially for the slim profile wallets pictured above. Second, what would be the effect of placing an AirTag inside a wallet that has RF shielding? The effectiveness of that shielding is variably dubious from one manufacturer to the next, but I wonder if anyone has run tests on AirTags inside one of those.
    williamlondonchemengin1dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kiehtankiehtan Posts: 38member
    Though it looks great, AirTag is just just too thick for a wallet, especially for those of us rocking minimalist wallets like Trayvax. 
    williamlondonchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Apple needs a thinner AirTag for wallets as Tile makes.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/store/tiles/slim

williamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Choice on offer: Small aggressively angled lump in wallet (AirTag alone) or large mildly angled lump in wallet (AirTag in Nomad's AirTag sleeping bag).

Better choice: Chipolo Card https://chipolo.net/en-us/products/chipolo-card
    Amazoncom Chipolo Card 2020 - Loud Water Resistant Bluetooth Wallet  Tracker GPS amp Navigation
    gregoriusmchemengin1beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I just got a slim wallet with a loop and have a keychain holder connected with a short, steel cable. Works great!
    bestkeptsecretSpaceGrayAllDaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    If this is your life goal, sure.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Are there any real world stories, not simulations or staged tests, that show AirTag in action?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dewme said:
    Are there any real world stories, not simulations or staged tests, that show AirTag in action?
    Unsurprisingly, people don't lose stuff as often as forum conversation might make one believe.  I'm sure there's someone somewhere who's lost an AirTag tracked item.  Chances are pretty good they aren't members of a tech forum.  Check Twitter of FB.  People overshare on those sites all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    AppleZulu said:
    I would have two questions for this one. What does the side view of that look like? The air tag itself seems a bit bulky, especially for the slim profile wallets pictured above. Second, what would be the effect of placing an AirTag inside a wallet that has RF shielding? The effectiveness of that shielding is variably dubious from one manufacturer to the next, but I wonder if anyone has run tests on AirTags inside one of those.
    It is as thick as AirTag is and it may or may not work well depending on your wallet. The new wallets that Nomad released are perfect for this. They have thermoformed leather that give a bit of a cavity on the inside and allows AirTag to fit inside pretty darn well. With something like this, it doesn't make it nearly as much as a single bump and doesn't slide around at all. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    dewme said:
    I’m about to go look for my cat’s collar that went missing this morning, since you asked. Stay tuned for updates here! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Hunter13Hunter13 Posts: 14member
    September release date for something you can find on Etsy and Amazon that ships today? Seems like they missed the boat on this one. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra