One-year Apple TV+ trial offer getting cut down to three months

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Purchasers of Apple devices will continue to get a free trial of Apple TV+, but it will also soon be reduced to three months instead of a year.

Apple TV+ launched in November 2019
Apple TV+ launched in November 2019

Starting July 1, 2021, users who buy an eligible Apple device will get three months of Apple TV+ for free. It's the first across-the-board change to the trial offer since it was unveiled alongside the original launch of Apple TV+ in 2019.

Following a trial, users then pay $4.99 per month for Apple TV+, unless they cancel. Users who bought iPhones, iPads, or other Apple devices when Apple TV+ launched were therefore able to watch for free until November 2020.

However, Apple did then extend that trial to end in February 2021. It was presumed that Apple did so in order that even the earliest users could still be on a free trial when the second seasons of its shows began to air.

Some of those earliest subscribers had already been switched to a paid version. Apple issued refund credits to those users.

Then shortly before that extension was due to end, though, Apple extended it again. This time the trial period, even for the earliest subscribers, would take them up to the end of June 2021.

This version of the offer is still valid and users who buy -- and also activate -- any eligible Apple hardware on or before June 30, 2021 will get Apple TV+ free for a year. Devices bought and activated on or after July 1, 2021, will get only three months.

Apple detailed this change on its website, where it was first spotted by 9to5mac.

A third-party survey of users in late 2020 claimed that 62% of Apple TV+ users were then on the trial offer. It also claimed that some 62% did not plan to continue onto a paid subscription.

At that same late 2020 point, separate research company Statista estimated that Apple TV+ had 40 million users.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Thanks for that heads up. I've been planning to pick up a new model, move my original 4K to a bedroom and relegate my old Gen 3 to a guest room.
    This will save me some extra money with a free year of ATV+.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    mike1 said:
    Thanks for that heads up. I've been planning to pick up a new model, move my original 4K to a bedroom and relegate my old Gen 3 to a guest room.
    Except for one little detail: If your AppleID has ever had the promotion applied, you cannot get it again, even if you buy a new ATV4K.  That is not obvious in the plan’s marketing description. But it is buried in the terms and conditions, which of course, the Apple rep I spoke with, was happy to provide a link.  Not the typical positive interaction I was expecting. 
    jahbladeFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 23
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    At $5/month, the reduction of 9 months free service equates to a US$45 dollars price increase. However I think the Apple TV 4K had a $20 price drop in April 2021, and if you combine that with the new remote which is included but costs $30 more when purchased separately, you're actually $5 ahead, not $45 behind.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    dcgoo said:
    mike1 said:
    Except for one little detail: If your AppleID has ever had the promotion applied, you cannot get it again, even if you buy a new ATV4K.  That is not obvious in the plan’s marketing description. But it is buried in the terms and conditions, which of course, the Apple rep I spoke with, was happy to provide a link.  Not the typical positive interaction I was expecting. 
    You are correct, but the thrifty and smart user will just create a new and different (and free) AppleID for that device.
    jahblade
  • Reply 5 of 23
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Renew by the year and it’s only $49.99 a year or $4.17 a month instead of $4.99 a month or $60 a year. This price is very good and low among competitors. My free year ends July 7th. I plan to renew by the year not the month. Love the exclusive shows. Ted Lasso is my favorite. Apple TV+ is a bargain.
    Rayz2016Beatslolliverdangermouse2
  • Reply 6 of 23
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    dcgoo said
    You are correct, but the thrifty and smart user will just create a new and different (and free) AppleID for that device.
    Yes, Apple suggested that. But thinking about all the other things that are directly tied to my AppleID, even if merged into my family group, I decided too much trouble. HomePods, multiple sets of AirPods, HomeKit. Too much PIA, to be practical.  

The functional improvements I got with the new ATV4K, are terrific. I still would have bought one to replace my previous model (2017 ATV4K). I just wish Apple was a little bit more upfront about the limitations on the promotion. Only $50, so not a huge deal. 
    edited June 2021 jahbladeBeats
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So what does this tell us about how well the service is doing?
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    dcgoo said:
    mike1 said:

Correct. But I could set this one up with my wife's ID this time.
    Also, the last promo started when she got her new iPhone (iPhone 11 in 2019). Yet I applied the promo to existing the ATV 4K set up with my Apple ID. We'll see.

edited June 2021
  • Reply 9 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    A good idea would be providing 3 months of Apple One with purchase of iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Mac/Watch. Then the user could try all services and would be likely to subscribe to one or all of them.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 23
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    dcgoo said:
    mike1 said:
    And lose the ability to access all of your other purchases on that Apple TV.  Great idea.
    fastasleeplolliver
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Beats said:
    A good idea would be providing 3 months of Apple One with purchase of iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Mac/Watch. Then the user could try all services and would be likely to subscribe to one or all of them.
    Free trials are available for all of those services and Apple One without buying anything, and Apple does offer a 3-month trial for most of those services with device purchase.
    edited June 2021 Beatslolliver
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Rayz2016 said:
    So what does this tell us about how well the service is doing?
    Nothing, but feel free to rely on an absence of facts to speculate on the meaning.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 13 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    flydog said:
    Beats said:
    Free trials are available for all of those services and Apple One without buying anything, and Apple does offer a 3-month trial for most of those services with device purchase.

I thought they were one month trials that cannot be used again no matter what.

Now I’m thinking Apple should allow three month Apple One trials every time you purchase hardware I listed. They’ll gain money by the purchase and could get people addicted to a service(s).
  • Reply 14 of 23
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I’ve had the free trail for 6-9 months and I’ve watched one movie one it. Netflix and Hulu just kill appletv. It’s like Apples gaming pushes with the ATV over the years, useless. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    seankill said:
    I’ve had the free trail for 6-9 months and I’ve watched one movie one it. Netflix and Hulu just kill appletv. It’s like Apples gaming pushes with the ATV over the years, useless. 
    Your opinion is duly made and duly noted. I have Apple Arcade and it's selection is not fabulous but it can keep me entertained from time to time. 

I think you meant "Apple TV+" when you said "appletv." What content on Netflix do you like? Hulu isn't available outside of the US so it can't be of any use to me or to 96% of the world's population. Apple TV+ has optional in-app services which are not bad, did you try any of them? You don't like Paramount+? It has a large collection of media and will be expanding to movies this year, I believe.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mike1 said:

Correct. But I could set this one up with my wife's ID this time.
    Also, the last promo started when she got her new iPhone (iPhone 11 in 2019). Yet I applied the promo to existing the ATV 4K set up with my Apple ID. We'll see.
    That could work as long as your wife isn't part of your Family Sharing group... Apple specifies it as "Only one offer per Family, regardless of number of devices purchased," which sort of makes sense, since the subscription is shared with the entire family. 

Of course, it's not clear if Apple keeps track and applies that to Apple IDs that were part of your Family Sharing during the free one-year period, but are no longer part of it. 
  • Reply 17 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    seankill said:
    Your opinion is duly made and duly noted. I have Apple Arcade and it's selection is not fabulous but it can keep me entertained from time to time. 

I think you meant "Apple TV+" when you said "appletv." What content on Netflix do you like? Hulu isn't available outside of the US so it can't be of any use to me or to 96% of the world's population. Apple TV+ has optional in-app services which are not bad, did you try any of them? You don't like Paramount+? It has a large collection of media and will be expanding to movies this year, I believe.
    Do you get paid per question mark?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    It’s actually alright Apple TV have enjoyed some good stuff on it 

But the world is going subscription mad and I don’t like it 

I already pay for Netflix and Amazon, and so that makes Apple TV an easy no for me (I don’t need any of the other Apple Services at all)

• Reply 19 of 23
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    dcgoo said:
    mike1 said:
    Why would anyone be in that position? It's not like they have ever converted any of the free 1 year trials into a paid subscription yet. So far they just keep extending it. I wouldn't be surprised if they extend it again past July since they still aren't exactly content rich and it's going to take them a while to get back up to speed after so many productions were affected by the pandemic. I mean, no one would have done something as crazy as cancelling a free trial before they were even close to having to pay for it, would they?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    seankill said:

Netflix has vastly more content, but Apple TV has enough to justify $5 a month. If it every bores me I will stop it for a month. I do that with the music. 
    lolliver