Apple's Podcast Subscriptions are now live

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2021
Users of Apple's Podcast app will now see options to subscribe to shows, where the creators have chosen to support subscriptions.

You can now support your favorite podcasts and get ad-free episodes
You can now support your favorite podcasts and get ad-free episodes

Apple has now launched its delayed podcast subscriptions service. As of June 15, 2021, when a user of Apple's own Podcast app goes to a show page, they can be offered a subscription option.

Not all shows are doing this, and so far there are slight variations between those that do. Most typically, the subscription offer means that listeners will get a version of the podcast without ads.

The amount show creators are charging for the subscription varies greatly, too. Then there's typically a trial period where a listener can get the subscription benefits before paying.

That's currently varying from 3 to 7 days, and is the choice of the show's creators.

Show creators have been able to set up subscription details since the original announcement in April 2021. However, the announced May launch was delayed because of chiefly unspecified problems.

Apple did tell creators that there were issues with the Podcasts Connect service, which is how shows are delivered to Apple. Perhaps separately, iOS 14.5 introduced multiple bugs to Apple's Podcasts app.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I was excited about paying for multiple podcasts, so I've just checked them out, and the typical price is $9.99/month for a tech podcast. That's twice as expensive as Apple TV+, but for a single podcaster. Now I'm not so sure about the whole idea.

On the positive side, I found a podcaster that isn't available in my country normally, so I'm able to get that now. This could be a way to get around the restrictions on media that stops certain media from crossing international borders.

Uhoh, I just learned that when you pay for podcasts, that doesn't mean the podcaster provides "ad free" podcasts. I just listened to one that was 20% ads. This might force me to cancel my subscriptions. I thought paying for podcasts would mean they were free of ads. But if I can't get this podcast in my country any other way, I might settle for the ads.

edited June 2021
  • Reply 2 of 6
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    It seems odd that the example photo shows pricing in both dollars and pounds?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    I was excited about paying for multiple podcasts, so I've just checked them out, and the typical price is $9.99/month for a tech podcast. That's twice as expensive as Apple TV+, but for a single podcaster. Now I'm not so sure about the whole idea.

On the positive side, I found a podcaster that isn't available in my country normally, so I'm able to get that now. This could be a way to get around the restrictions on media that stops certain media from crossing international borders.

Uhoh, I just learned that when you pay for podcasts, that doesn't mean the podcaster provides "ad free" podcasts. I just listened to one that was 20% ads. This might force me to cancel my subscriptions. I thought paying for podcasts would mean they were free of ads. But if I can't get this podcast in my country any other way, I might settle for the ads.

Wow, it seems a) some folks are very proud of their content and b) needs to figure out how to remove their ads if we’re paying for them.  Both these are good reasons for this to fail. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Wgkrueger said:

Wow, it seems a) some folks are very proud of their content and b) needs to figure out how to remove their ads if we’re paying for them.  Both these are good reasons for this to fail. 
    I would love to understand you. But I read that 5 to 10 times and I'm not smart enough to figure out what you meant. Where in my post do you see me being proud? You didn't specify your reason for saying that. And what is it that you want or expect to fail? 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Wgkrueger said:

I would love to understand you. But I read that 5 to 10 times and I'm not smart enough to figure out what you meant. Where in my post do you see me being proud? You didn't specify your reason for saying that. And what is it that you want or expect to fail? 
    The podcasts ffs!  Why are you so incapable of reading.  Not everything is about you.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 6

The podcasts ffs!  Why are you so incapable of reading.  Not everything is about you.
    Thanks for the lesson on how to be a complete jerk!