Mayo Clinic launches Apple Health Records integration on iPhone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
The Mayo Clinic has launched support for the Apple Health Records feature on iPhone, allowing patients to easily add medical data to the Health app.

Credit: Mayo Clinic
Credit: Mayo Clinic

Apple's Health Records service allows patients to add and view all of their health data in a single spot on an iPhone. Starting Tuesday, Mayo Clinic patients with a Patient Online Services account will be able to take advantage of the feature by logging in with their username and password.

In addition to health records from care providers, the Health app also aggregates health and nutrition data from sources like an Apple Watch. Use of the feature is optional, and doesn't change anything about a patient's online services account.

All downloaded data is transported between a provider and a user's device via an encrypted connection and is also stored securely on a device.

Mayo Clinic says it is now among the more than 700 healthcare providers and 12,000 care locations that offer support for Apple Health Records in the U.S., Canada, and the UK.

"There are more ways than ever for patients to be actively engaged in their health care, and smartphone apps can be helpful for accessing records and tracking daily fitness and diet. We want patients who are interested in these apps to be able to use them securely and enhance their health care at Mayo Clinic," said Steve Ommen, M.D., director of experience products at Mayo Clinic's Center for Digital Health.

Apple first announced the Health Records API in 2018, allowing developers to integrate Apple health features into their apps. Initially a U.S.-exclusive feature, Apple brought Health Records to the UK and Canada in October 2020.

At its WWDC 21 event earlier in June, Apple bolstered its health ecosystem with new features, including the ability to securely share health, fitness, and other metrics with a care provider.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    My provider was an early adopter on this, it’s great. I have years worth of lab results which are plotted into graphs for easy reference. It’s the way to be. 
    williamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Apple Monopoly if successful? Yes indeed…..
  • Reply 3 of 8
    How about bringing the Health App to the iPad?
    uraharabyronlfastasleepjony0
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    How about bringing the Health App to the iPad?

One “How about” I will get behind. 

uraharabyronljony0
  • Reply 5 of 8
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    danox said:
    Parrot. Just repeats same words. 
    Anyone can create an App for keeping the medical records. In Apple Ecosystem or on Ondroid. And even on Linux, if you wish so. 
    So what is monopolistic here?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    danox said:
    I don't think you know what those words mean. Providing a framework for various clinical networks to share your patient data back to you is not monopolistic. Explain why you think it is.
    byronl
  • Reply 7 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Personally I prefer to keep data from health care providers siloed in their systems because typically they contain far too much out dated and inaccurate information.   Propagating and spreading that bad data only makes things worse.  For myself for one example:   My data shows I have high blood and take medication for it.   I haven't had hypertension for over 7 years and neither have I taken any medication for it during that time.  I don't want doctors making decisions based on bad information -- and neither do I want to spend valuable appointment time correcting the bad data they see.

But, healthcare providers really want it to spread.   Yesterday I went to regional healthcare system for an MRI and was told to "register on their kiosk".   At the start it asked the usual questions then it got to a screen that said "You have health care records at AHN, do you want to share these with us?"   Unfortunately there was no way to say "No" except to log out of the whole process -- which I did.

Since there were no ramifications for logging out I assume the only purpose was to obtain my private health care data from another system.   Sorry, but I prefer to keep my private data private.
    muthuk_vanalingambyronl
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    danox said:
    You know there are a ton of free dictionaries and such online that could’ve prevented such an embarrassing misstatement?