Files app gets much better thanks to iPadOS 15

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    The only reason I bought a MacBook Air is because I can’t attach my optical drive to my iPadPro. Apple for the fail. Unless they are making too much money selling MacBooks for that very reason
    I think that is a weird request/option for a tablet.  What's the use case for an optical drive on a portable tablet?  Maybe the 2021 iPad Pro supports it, with it's TB3/USB-C connector?

BTW - lots of 1 post complainers in this thread...
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 27
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    dvmierlo said:
    Does the ‘new’ Files app finally have proper file extension support? At the moment there is shamefully none. I need another app to be able to see or rename a file extension. And what about creating and editing just a simple text file anywhere at the spot? I love my iPad for its hardware but Apple should be ashamed to treat users like little children.
    Do you even use Apple products?  File extensions are generally an ancient Windows/DOS based norm.  

williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 27
    nicholfd said:
    dvmierlo said:
    Does the ‘new’ Files app finally have proper file extension support? At the moment there is shamefully none. I need another app to be able to see or rename a file extension. And what about creating and editing just a simple text file anywhere at the spot? I love my iPad for its hardware but Apple should be ashamed to treat users like little children.
    Do you even use Apple products?  File extensions are generally an ancient Windows/DOS based norm.  

When working with files, no regardless of the OS, renaming a file, including it’s extension, is one of the basic feature of a files app. And yes, I can do this on my Mac.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dvmierlo said:
    nicholfd said:
    dvmierlo said:

When working with files, no regardless of the OS, renaming a file, including it’s extension, is one of the basic feature of a files app. And yes, I can do this on my Mac.
    But why do you need to?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    crowley said:
    dvmierlo said:
    nicholfd said:
    dvmierlo said:

But why do you need to?
    That question describes why the Files app in iPadOS and iOS is limited and how certain gourps of users are neglected.

The purpose for a file management application is to manage files by providing basic functionality. Renaming a filename is one of them. An extension is part of a filename and should not be ignored or made inaccessable like the Files app does.

There are other apps, like FE File Explorer Pro, that do provide these basic functionalities. It is not that it cannot be done. It is just neglecting basic functionality on purpose in the Files file management app. Why do you think the progressbar is added? That is a basic function should have been implemented from the start.

Users should not be treated all the same. Regular users might not need this functionality. Developers on the other hand, work a lot with files, including renaming them. The least thing Apple can do is to give users an option to enable/disable it.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 27
    BernShBernSh Posts: 3member
    Anyone figure out a way to read Apple Mail items saved to a folder from within the Files app? From within Finder, they open the Mail app. Currently, the item must be remailed back to self then opened as an attachment.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dvmierlo said:
    crowley said:
    dvmierlo said:
    nicholfd said:
    dvmierlo said:

But why do you need to?
    That question describes why the Files app in iPadOS and iOS is limited and how certain gourps of users are neglected.

The purpose for a file management application is to manage files by providing basic functionality. Renaming a filename is one of them. An extension is part of a filename and should not be ignored or made inaccessable like the Files app does.

There are other apps, like FE File Explorer Pro, that do provide these basic functionalities. It is not that it cannot be done. It is just neglecting basic functionality on purpose in the Files file management app. Why do you think the progressbar is added? That is a basic function should have been implemented from the start.

Users should not be treated all the same. Regular users might not need this functionality. Developers on the other hand, work a lot with files, including renaming them. The least thing Apple can do is to give users an option to enable/disable it.
    But why do you need to?