Spotify buys podcast discovery platform Podz as war with Apple heats up

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Spotify on Thursday announced the acquisition of Podz, a podcast discovery service that enables content creators to better promote their show using audio clips selected through a special algorithm.

Podz

The purchase is Spotify's latest step toward creating a feature-rich podcasting experience that beats out industry incumbent Apple. As with music, Spotify is looking to upgrade its product by focusing on content discovery, an area where Podz can help, reports TechCrunch.

"At Spotify, we are investing to build and scale the world's best (and most personalized) podcast discovery experience," Spotify said in a statement. "We believe that Podz' technology will complement and accelerate Spotify's focused efforts to drive discovery, deliver listeners the right content at the right time, and accelerate growth of the category worldwide."

Currently, content creators looking to promote their podcast typically clip soundbites to share on social media and other platforms. Existing tools allow podcasters to manually select and share snippets of audio, but Podz automates the process.

In its app, which is no longer available, Podz presented users a feed of audio clips that were pulled from podcasts using machine learning model trained on more than 100,000 hours of audio in consultation with journalists and audio editors, the report says. On Spotify, these clips will "give users the opportunity to preview key moments from podcast episodes, encouraging them to discover and listen to new podcasts," the company said in a press release.

Spotify plans to integrate Podz technology across its collection of 2.6 million podcasts by the end of 2021.

The move comes days after Apple flipped the switch on a paid subscription feature for its native Podcasts app. Announced in April, Podcast Subscriptions enable podcasters to bill listeners for access to exclusive content directly through Apple's platform. Initially due to arrive in May, launch of the subscription option was delayed for unknown reasons.

Alongside Apple and Spotify, Facebook this week revealed plans to step into the podcasting fray with its own platform offering on June 22.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    With Apple having a 10 year lead and inventing the platform how the hell have they allowed Spotify to even be a competitor??
    zeus423williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Beats said:
    With Apple having a 10 year lead and inventing the platform how the hell have they allowed Spotify to even be a competitor??
    They have been busy making hundreds of billions and growing to be $2T company.

Like @I_Got_A_Bowl_Cut said Spotify is just a rounding error that has been struggling to survive for the last 10 years. Thats why they are always whining about Apple. 
    the1maximus
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Beats said:
    I think there’s room for other companies. And I’m not sure anyone’s winning anything given the market size of podcasts.
    gregoriusmmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Beats said:
    I think there’s room for other companies. And I’m not sure anyone’s winning anything given the market size of podcasts.
    I know what you are saying, but, we, the customer, are winning. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 17
    heli0sheli0s Posts: 65member
    I don't think Apple knows they are in an imaginary war with Spotify. As a company and as a successful business Spotify is less than a rounding error in Apples least successful department. 
    There was a point in time not that long ago that Apple was a “rounding error” for Microsoft. And Google Chrome was a rounding error to IE. Complacency leads to defeat
    gregoriusmbloggerblogwilliamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 17
    “Ok Spotify, where’s the lossless audio?”

Spotify: *throws smoke bomb* Nevermind that, look at what we’re doing with podcasts!” 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 17
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    Beats said:
    On that basis Apple should never have entered the mobile phone business...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Beats said:

Very simple. It would cause a lot, lots of trouble for Apple to crush every single competitor and become another “standard oil”-that, is the real monopoly, not what people without any knowledge understand-. The function of Apple, as discussed, many times is to be where the puck is going to be, o better, set the direction; then as it has happened MANY times abandon the project (remember ipods?) and get into different directions. Apple is NOT, I repeat, not everything for everyone, or what everyone wants Apple to be. That dominance you dream of, would cause many problems. Smaller companies, absorbing technology to implement their systems and present solutions to their programs is more sought after by Apple. And management knows it, figure, they even have their own university to implement teaching of the future directions. They make enough money, indeed, without being the biggest one by products, or by systems. They keep their mouths shut, and either implement to perfection others’ developments, OR patiently, without panic create new ones. Apple business 101. Why to get away from its own niche.

edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonRonnyDaddytmayFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I don't think Apple knows they are in an imaginary war with Spotify. As a company and as a successful business Spotify is less than a rounding error in Apples least successful department. 
    I don't think Spotify knows about the war either.  You're reacting to AI's editorial choice to write a click-baity headline.  If you search "Spotify buys Podz" on the cyber, AI is the only site with the inflammatory headline.  
    michelb76winstoner71
  • Reply 10 of 17
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    Beats said:
    I know what you are saying, but, we, the customer, are winning. 
    Not really. Podcast are now going to be gated on platforms and riddles with ads.
    williamlondonDBSync
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Bombdoe said:
    Beats said:
    Apple had a hit with the iPhone that was building on a trend. Podcasts have been around for a lot longer than 10 years but are only now being heavily monetized. Apple is seemingly spread incredibly thin, given the glacial pace at which updates are coming out and loads of bugs never fixed. There is a lot of money in podcasts now but the power used to be with the creators, and this is now shifting to the platforms. Apple missed that boat and instead went into 'radio' and made an absolute crapper of a podcast app. Doesn't help.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The real problem is discovery - just like in the App Store.
    There are some wonderful podcasts available but there is also a lot of stuff that is just repackaged broadcast audio.

Someone up the thread said Apple invented Podcasting. They did not, but they got in on it fairly early.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    michelb76 said:
    Bombdoe said:
    Beats said:
    Apple had a hit with the iPhone that was building on a trend. Podcasts have been around for a lot longer than 10 years but are only now being heavily monetized. Apple is seemingly spread incredibly thin, given the glacial pace at which updates are coming out and loads of bugs never fixed. There is a lot of money in podcasts now but the power used to be with the creators, and this is now shifting to the platforms. Apple missed that boat and instead went into 'radio' and made an absolute crapper of a podcast app. Doesn't help.

Indeed. How many times has Apple missed the boat, and being doomed, according to the experts? I, however, given the trajectory, believe that Apples knows what is doing. Why having people dismissing the company with CEO’s claiming the opposite, having funerals processions, or asking to return the money to the shareholders? Just to fall into the mediocrity of copying each other, and also claiming the superiority of their marshmallows systems with same chips and wanna be OS. Only the index of features set them apart. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 17
    lorca2770 said:
    michelb76 said:
    Bombdoe said:
    Beats said:

Indeed. How many times has Apple missed the boat, and being doomed, according to the experts? I, however, given the trajectory, believe that Apples knows what is doing. Why having people dismissing the company with CEO’s claiming the opposite, having funerals processions, or asking to return the money to the shareholders? Just to fall into the mediocrity of copying each other, and also claiming the superiority of their marshmallows systems with same chips and wanna be OS. Only the index of features set them apart. 

Apple will make good money on podcasts for sure, it just won't/can't be a leader in that field.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I don't think Spotify knows about the war either.  You're reacting to AI's editorial choice to write a click-baity headline.  If you search "Spotify buys Podz" on the cyber, AI is the only site with the inflammatory headline.  
    Spotify has been going around the world complaining to any legislators that will listen about Apple. They are afraid of competition from Apple. It’s ironic that they complain about acquisitions but then strategically acquires companies. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 17
    genovelle said:
    Spotify has been going around the world complaining to any legislators that will listen about Apple. They are afraid of competition from Apple. It’s ironic that they complain about acquisitions but then strategically acquires companies. 
    We're all well aware of what Spotify has been doing.  Most of us with a modicum of common sense are also aware that this acquisition in not a part of some imaginary war.  AI's choice of headline to describe the acquisition paints a picture that appeals to the fanboy contingent in Apple's overall fanbase.  As I said, they're the only site to take that adversarial slant with their headline.  It's their right.  No big deal.  For forum members to build narratives around "the war" as if it's from Spotify's perspective...  yeah, that's a bit misguided imo.  It's the same deal in the other thread where AI actually says the rumor they're reporting is sketchy yet the comments are mostly "Samsung's copying gaaaaah".  Misguided.  Just like here.
    muthuk_vanalingam