Apple sells out of Space Gray Magic Keyboard, Trackpad, Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2021
Introduced with the iMac Pro in 2017, and discontinued in May 2021, Apple's Space Gray accessories are now all sold out in the Apple Store.

The Space Gray accessories were originally sold only with the iMac Pro
The Space Gray accessories were originally sold only with the iMac Pro

Apple announced in mid-May 2021 that it would no longer produce the Space Gray accessories, but they did remain on sale "while supplies last." Now, however, they have been erased from the online Apple Store, as has the iMac Pro they were originally designed for.

All three accessories were initially solely available as build-to-order options with the 2017 iMac Pro. Apple originally claimed that they only ever be sold with this Mac, but seemingly demand changed that.

Four months after launch, in March 2018, the Space Gray Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, Magic Mouse 2, and Magic Trackpad were put on sale separately.

The iMac Pro was then discontinued in March 2021. The removal of the Space Gray accessories from the online Apple Store was first spotted by Appleosophy.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'm glad I grabbed a set a few months ago!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    It seems the smaller keyboard (without the number pad) was never offered in space grey. I saw the news a little while back about the discontinued products and was at the point of needing another pair (keyboard and trackpad) but wanted the space grey this time rather than the silver/white of my other set that was going to be now relocated to a different office. That was when I first discovered that the basic keyboard wasn't available in space grey. I went ahead and picked up a trackpad while supplies lasted and then found the Satechi Slim X1 in space grey. Goes right in line aesthetically with the apple products and so far I've been fairly happy with its function. I'm not sure there could be a replacement for the Magic Trackpad though, it's soooo nice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    ZeeblerZeebler Posts: 19member
    Will it be replaced with fruity pastel pink - because that's so hot right now.

dysamoriawilliamlondoncaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I kind of wish I had bought a set while they existed. But I don't have a new machine for them to go with. I just figured the nice looking hardware would disappear soon.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 95member
    dysamoria said:
    I kind of wish I had bought a set while they existed. But I don't have a new machine for them to go with. I just figured the nice looking hardware would disappear soon.

Available at Amazon 
    williamlondondysamoriaRayz2016FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dysamoria said:
    LOL you’ll complain for a decade that Apple won’t make the Mac you want, but you’ll buy the accessories. 
    williamlondonStrangeDayshammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I'm sure this supply shortage isn't significant, but it'd be cool if this was a hint that new iMac Pros with the M1x are coming soon. But I'm sure I'll have to impatiently wait until October or November for that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The last Intel Mac mini’s were that color and I bought the Keyboard and Trackpad.
    No you cannot have them.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Shame. That was the classiest color they ever had. 

Hopefully it’s just to gear up for new hardware in that color. 
    dysamoriacaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Zeebler said:
    Will it be replaced with fruity pastel pink - because that's so hot right now.

Maybe, if you're lucky!   ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I have the keyboard (but already had a Magic Mouse at time of purchase). It's a great keyboard...numeric keypad, low-profile, good travel on the keys. Pretty perfect.
    chasmdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    I grabbed the extended keyboard and trackpad at a decent sale price. It doesn’t quite match my space gray MacBook Pro, but it’s near enough.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I have the space grey keyboard/mouse/trackpad trifecta too, although funnily enough my MacBook Pro is silver.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dysamoria said:
    LOL you’ll complain for a decade that Apple won’t make the Mac you want, but you’ll buy the accessories. 
    I didn’t though. Did you see the “I kinda” part?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dysamoria said:
    What's wrong with that?  Apple keyboards and trackpads are pretty nice.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 24
    OctoMonkeyOctoMonkey Posts: 311member
    crowley said:
    dysamoria said:
    What's wrong with that?  Apple keyboards and trackpads are pretty nice.
    I would agree that they are pretty nice looking (especially the space gray)...  but I have ended up replacing every modern Apple keyboard with one using mechanical switches and every modern Apple mouse with a wired mouse (also with mechanical switches).  I have tried and tried to like the Apple accessories, but find them abysmal in every respect except the aesthetics.  Even my kids dislike the Apple keyboard and mouse when compared to a "real" option.

One side note - your avatar / picture always puts a big smile on my face!
    carthusia
  • Reply 17 of 24
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    “Apple discontinuing without replacement…” has become way to common: Router, HomePod, iMac Pro, a.s.o. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 137member
    “Apple discontinuing without replacement…” has become way to common: Router, HomePod, iMac Pro, a.s.o. 
    Those are all understandable. Apple's network appliance products were needed to allow them to support emerging standards and not be beholden to lagging mainstream producers; however Netgear et al are now on top of things, so they aren't needed. My Plume mesh is better than my Airports ever were. Only Airport Express w/ Airplay was a gap, *finally* solved by Belkin. iMac Pro... patience! They stopped selling it so that there wouldn't be a rash of returns from those who purchased two weeks before the M2 version releases. HomePod just didn't work out. If they replaced it, they'd need to replace it with something cheaper that people want. Like a mini version.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Another example of Apple completely ignoring demand and what the consumer wants.  I can't wait for them to tell me what color I should like.  ZEEBLER: I think you are correct, HOT PINK most closely resembles Apple's new corporate culture.
    Oh boo hoo. Those things have been available for almost 4 years, but you never thought to get one?  Those things were more expensive than the standard silver ones, and that’s why they didn’t sell very well. Now, after Apple decides to discontinue them is when you complain and imply there ever was a demand before they were discontinued. 🙄
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Why do they need to replace a colour scheme?  They still sell mice and keyboards. And the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID is on the horizon anyway; that'll be the replacement, and they'll come in a new range of colours.  Maybe even Space Grey, though I wouldn't count on it.

Another example of Apple completely ignoring demand and what the consumer wants.
    And evidence that these were selling in significant numbers?
    watto_cobra