Nearly 75% of Apple users don't want an 'iPhone 13,' more than half not excited about iOS ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Many iPhone users want the "iPhone 13" to be named something else, although only a small percentage view the name superstitiously, according to a new survey.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

A total of 74% of respondents in the survey, which was carried out by SellCell, said they hoped "iPhone 13" will be named something else. The respondents also voted for the best potential name, with "iPhone (2021)" taking the top spot with 38% of the vote. Only about 18% of respondents actually have superstitions about the number 13, however. That represents one in five Apple users.

Name aside, most Apple users appear ready to wait for the next iPhone to debut. According to the survey, 64% said they'd skip purchasing an iPhone now to wait for new models to debut in the fall.

SellCell also surveyed Apple users about the next slate of software updates, including iOS 15. More than half, about 52%, said they were "slightly" or "not at all" excited about the new features in iOS 15.

As far as the most popular new additions, 23% named the upgraded Wallet app as their favorite, about 17% said advanced Spotlight search was their top pick and 14.2% said the new Find My feature that tracks off or wiped devices was their most liked feature.

About 32% of respondents said they wished iOS 15 introduced interactive widgets, while 21% said an always-on display feature was their top missing addition. Professional apps for iPadOS is at the top of the wishlist for 14.9% of those surveyed.

On the new Digital Legacy Program, many respondents felt skeptical about giving loved ones access to their intimate data. About 53% of respondents said they were comfortable with giving a friend or family member access to iCloud data after their death.

A majority, 71%, said they would want to control the data given as part of the legacy program. Around 27% said they wouldn't want to share their browsing history, 16.4% said they wouldn't share their messages, and 13.7% said they would want to keep Keychain passwords off the list of the shared data.

SellCell surveyed more than 3,000 iPhone and iPad users aged 18 years and older in the U.S. The survey was conducted between June 10 and June 15, 2021.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Was thinking Apple wouldn’t use the number 13. 

Probably just call it “all new iPhone” 

or jump to iPhone 15 or something. 

Sounds like the phone can justify a big branding maneuver. 

But even if it were iterative, it’s possible Apple would avoid the exaggerations from the superstitious crowd whenever something goes wrong. Because something will go wrong. 
  • Reply 2 of 56
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    The average person lacks good sense about what they want.  If Apple was run by the general public, we wouldn't have an Apple today.  If the next iPhone was called "iPhone 2021" and the next "iPhone 2022" at some point people would be crying to get back to to the old numbering scheme so we could at list figure out what generation and how many iPhones there have been.  All said, the current naming convention is logical and should stay.  People are just fickle, growing wearing even of a great thing.  Sometimes we just don't know what's good when we have it.  
    lam92103StrangeDaysbaconstangjimh2viclauyycpatchythepirateMacProArchStantonjony0
  • Reply 3 of 56
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    jdw said:
    The average person lacks good sense about what they want.  If Apple was run by the general public, we wouldn't have an Apple today.  If the next iPhone was called "iPhone 2021" and the next "iPhone 2022" at some point people would be crying to get back to to the old numbering scheme so we could at list figure out what generation and how many iPhones there have been.  All said, the current naming convention is logical and should stay.  People are just fickle, growing wearing even of a great thing.  Sometimes we just don't know what's good when we have it.  
    Just FYI. The current naming system doesn’t tell you how many generations of iPhone there have been. 

While I don’t like names with dates as part of the name, in regards knowing the generations of phones it wouldn’t matter.  
  • Reply 4 of 56
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    I'm actually more excited about iOS 15 than I have been in quite a while...
    • On-device Siri (not just for privacy, but some of us sometimes do things outside of cell range)
    • The return of the magnifying glass when moving the text entry cursor (whose bright idea was it to kill that in the first place?!?)
    • Users who want to take a wait-and-see approach (which is widely recommended) can stay on iOS 14 for a while and still get security updates
    StrangeDaysbaconstangbloggerblog
  • Reply 5 of 56
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    Apple doesn't number different generations in the majority of its key product lines--MacBooks, iMacs and iPads--so I'm not sure why they continue to do so for iPhone and the Watch. Different models, sure, as they do with these other product lines, but when it's time for a new iPhone or Watch, they could simply be "New" instead of iPhone 13 or Watch 7. These numbers are even a bit confusing because they are close to but don't exactly correlate with the OS numbers... Watch 7, for example, will be running WatchOS 8. 

StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    maltz said:
    • On-device Siri (not just for privacy, but some of us sometimes do things outside of cell range)
    • The return of the magnifying glass when moving the text entry cursor (whose bright idea was it to kill that in the first place?!?)
    • Users who want to take a wait-and-see approach (which is widely recommended) can stay on iOS 14 for a while and still get security updates
    Agreed on the magnifying glass! So useful. Tho from the demo it doesn't have any border/edge to it, which looks...weird. They should just go back to the original loupe which had no issues and clearly relayed where the zoom effect was and wasn't.
    cgWerksFileMakerFellerbloggerblogmaltzjony0
  • Reply 7 of 56
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    Not sure what’s wrong with 13. I don’t know anyone that skipped that number when they turned 13. As far as IOS 15; I’m looking forward to the translation feature
    baconstangDBSync
  • Reply 8 of 56
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    This has to be one of the weirdest survey/results I've run across.
    StrangeDaysgenovelleDBSyncArchStanton
  • Reply 9 of 56
    gorgygorgy Posts: 3member
    iPhone 12s
  • Reply 10 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    charlesn said:
    Apple doesn't number different generations in the majority of its key product lines--MacBooks, iMacs and iPads--so I'm not sure why they continue to do so for iPhone and the Watch. Different models, sure, as they do with these other product lines, but when it's time for a new iPhone or Watch, they could simply be "New" instead of iPhone 13 or Watch 7. These numbers are even a bit confusing because they are close to but don't exactly correlate with the OS numbers... Watch 7, for example, will be running WatchOS 8. 
    Yeah I have to believe the days of incremental numbering must soon come to an end... Nobody can believe there will be an iPhone marketed as "The new iPhone 23!", right!?
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 11 of 56
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    iPhone <3 anyone?

XIII (that might be popular in China: Xiii)

No?  :D
    MplsPanantksundaramDBSync
  • Reply 12 of 56
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Who cares what they call them, really, enough with the media and fanboys making something out of nothing.

After iPhone 12 models basically sparked a super cycle and clear establishment that the two-year replacement cycle is long ago history, how can anyone express surprise at the indications about how many will rush to get "13" or whatever it is called. Besides, I do not believe the 75% number regarding "don't want." They want and so do I, but who besides very, very well off people into tech are going to get a new phone every year at a $1000+ ( and rising) a pop? I would love to always have the latest and greatest. I would get a new phone, new iPad, MacBook and Apple Watch every year if wanting one was all that mattered.

SellCell? Who are they? What credibility do they have? Based on what they revealed I don't think the "survey" is worth anything. Beside their statement they surveyed 3000 users over 18 there is nothing about how the survey was constructed. If only over 18 was the section criteria, it is definitely worthless.

Added 45 minutes later: The irony ... I just noticed an earlier AI story from today covering a planned year over year 12% increase in iPhone production. That seems pretty inconsistent with this article's thrust.
    edited June 2021 cgWerksFidonet127FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamqwerty52DBSync
  • Reply 13 of 56
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Apple might go ahead and just call it "phone" because when all of the antitrust nonsense ends, they (antitrust) will probably determine that by putting a "i" in front of "phone" is anti-competitive and Apple should not distinguish it's self any differently from others...
    /s
  • Reply 14 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    charlesn said:
    Apple can start naming the phones after places in California, just like the macOS. Instead of iPhone 13 it will be called iPhone Alcatraz. 
    patchythepirateMacProchemengin1cgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 56
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    It's not just superstitious people who will avoid buying a product with the number 13. It's also people who live in the same household as others who are superstitious. Out of consideration, some people will avoid a 13 in their home if anyone in that home is superstitious. I've seen it happen.

I have the best solution. It should be called the "iPhone X3." Those who are afraid of 13 can call it the "X3". Those who don't care can still call it the "13". (Roman X=10, Arabic 3=3.) That's a win-win name.

The same problem will exist for "iPhone 14" for East Asian customers. It's unlucky for them. 

I think Apple could kill two birds with one stone by jumping this year to "iPhone 15", and Apple could plausibly allege that the jump was to sync the phone number with iOS 15.
    techaccidentcgWerks
  • Reply 16 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    maltz said:
    The magnifying glass will be nice, but I’ve taken to just using press-hold on the space bar when I want to move the cursor. 

I’m one of the people who’s rather indifferent to iOS 15. I had higher hopes for iPadOS 15, but that looks like a bit of a let down, too. I’ll eventually upgrade my phone and iOS but for now my Xs and iOS 14 work just fine. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 56
    I was just in a large, high-end condo building in Seattle this weekend. 38 floors, only really 37 because there was no "13" on the elevator. Old superstitions persist, from small things like this to some really big things that are outside this thread! I just hope the people on the 14th floor never figure it out...

I'm fine with 13, it's simply a convenient prime number and people made up numbers.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 18 of 56
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
     I was born on the 13th.   Works for me.
    qwerty52
  • Reply 19 of 56
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    And yet just a couple of hours ago an analyst said that the iPhone 13 will sell well. 
    I wouldn't put much faith in either report.

I was born on the 13th.   Works for me.
    I was married on the 13th. Helps to remember my anniversary. (34 years this year)
    LeftyLisacgWerks
  • Reply 20 of 56
    loquiturloquitur Posts: 137member
    Kind of like how the iPhone 9 never really sold well in Germany, which they called the iPhone "Nein".
    DAalsethjcs2305