'Foundation' & 'The Problem With Jon Stewart' premiering on Apple TV+ in September

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Apple has shared a September release window for two of its upcoming Apple TV+ shows -- "Foundation" and "The Problem With Jon Stewart."

'Foundation' coming to Apple TV+ in September
'Foundation' coming to Apple TV+ in September

With the pandemic subsiding, Apple has been able to ramp up production of its many exclusive series. The 2021 Apple TV+ lineup has many shows returning for their second seasons as well as long-awaited series premieres.

In an email first seen by MacRumors and received by AppleInsider since, Apple shared the release window for "Foundation" and "The Problem With Jon Stewart" is in September. The other shows shared in the email all had known release dates.
  • Mr. Corman: series premieres August 6
  • CODA: film premieres August 13
  • Foundation: series premieres in September
  • The Problem With Jon Stewart: series premieres in September
  • The Shrink Next Door: series premieres November 12
"Foundation" is a series based on the award-winning novels by Isaac Asimov. This long-awaited series follows a group of exiles on a journey to save humanity and rebuild civilization.

"The Problem With Jon Stewart" is a topical news show and a return to television for the popular host. The exact format of the show remains unknown, but some expect it to be similar to HBO's "Last Week Tonight."

Apple TV+ is a subscription service for $4.99 per month. Customers can also get the service with any tier of the Apple One subscription bundle.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    I'm happy Jon's coming back, but I'd rather he be the rebuttal guy at the end of every opinion show disguised as 'news' on every news network. I still remember fondly years ago when he destroyed the hosts on Crossfire.
    bageljoeydrdavidbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    Appleish said:
    I'm happy Jon's coming back, but I'd rather he be the rebuttal guy at the end of every opinion show disguised as 'news' on every news network. I still remember fondly years ago when he destroyed the hosts on Crossfire.
    CNN canceled Crossfire after he called out the hosts, which included the racist traitor Tucker Carlson.
    drdavidwilliamlondonAppleishtmayfastasleepStrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobraminicoffee
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Xed said:
    Appleish said:
    CNN canceled Crossfire after he called out the hosts, which included the racist traitor Tucker Carlson.

"racist traitor tucker carlson"?? Triggered much? lol

Anyway, looking forward to Jon Stewart's show, along with Ted Lasso and Tehran. Hopefully the next season of Servant will be good too now that they finally picked up the pace.
    entropysfahlmanwilliamlondondocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Finally. Foundation is the show I’ve most looked forward to. Now I only have 3 months left to reread the novels. 
    tmayfahlmanStrangeDayswilliamlondondocno42watto_cobraminicoffee
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Japhey said:
    Finally. Foundation is the show I’ve most looked forward to. Now I only have 3 months left to reread the novels. 
    I doubt Apple is throwing as much money into it as Amazon is into LOTR which has a reported price tag of $1 billion so far (which a quarter of that going to Tolkien rights), but I expect it will be done well based without skimping based on what I've seen from their other shows. I think this is the first series from them with a long and popular history where they can establish a world that can evolve for many seasons to come and offer countless spinoffs.
    edited June 2021 pumpkin_kingwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Spot of mistiming there with a September launch. A lot of people won’t still be subscribing by then if they have to start paying in July.  Too much of a gap.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    I doubt Apple is throwing as much money into it as Amazon is into LOTR which has a reported price tag of $1 billion so far (which a quarter of that going to Tolkien rights), but I expect it will be done well based without skimpy based on what I've seen from their other shows. I think this is the first series from them with a long and popular history where they can establish a world that can evolve for many seasons to come and offer countless spinoffs.
     Don’t have much hope. Given Prime’s track record, more likely will be wrecked like the Jack Ryan series and Without Remorse. The only connection with the books will be the character names.

you know it will be stuffed if it has women dwarves (at least I would hope they come complete with beards).
    edited June 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    entropys said:
    Spot of mistiming there with a September launch. A lot of people won’t still be subscribing by then if they have to start paying in July.  Too much of a gap.
    Oh boy, someone better email Eddy and let him know! You think they don’t factor all of these things into their timelines?

Not to mention, it’s trivial to subscribe and unsubscribe to channels whenever you want. It’s not like that’s some barrier to entry for people who want to see these shows. 
    fahlmanStrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    entropys said:
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    I doubt Apple is throwing as much money into it as Amazon is into LOTR which has a reported price tag of $1 billion so far (which a quarter of that going to Tolkien rights), but I expect it will be done well based without skimpy based on what I've seen from their other shows. I think this is the first series from them with a long and popular history where they can establish a world that can evolve for many seasons to come and offer countless spinoffs.
    The only connection with the books will be the character names.
    “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” novel and film trilogy are set thousands of years after the Second Age, toward the end of the Third Age. The Second Age, on the other hand, in which the Amazon series is set, is most notable for being the time period when Sauron (the titular lord of the rings and very integral to the Second Age) created the One Ring to rule all the other Rings of Power. By the time Smeagol had come across the Ring, it had been lost for over 2,000 years.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-explained-plot-cast/d1d5xluv4aapw9a/ <--
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Xed said:
    Appleish said:

"racist traitor tucker carlson"?? Triggered much? lol

Anyway, looking forward to Jon Stewart's show, along with Ted Lasso and Tehran. Hopefully the next season of Servant will be good too now that they finally picked up the pace.
    Eh, when he regurgitates nonsense straight from Q and Russian sources designed to destabilize American democracy, traitor is an apt description. Maybe "useful idiot" is more accurate? Either works..

Agreed on Servant's pacing - was nice to see things happen more in the last season. Tehran and Lasso were great.
    edited June 2021 baconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobraminicoffee
  • Reply 11 of 17
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    I doubt Apple is throwing as much money into it as Amazon is into LOTR which has a reported price tag of $1 billion so far (which a quarter of that going to Tolkien rights), but I expect it will be done well based without skimping based on what I've seen from their other shows. I think this is the first series from them with a long and popular history where they can establish a world that can evolve for many seasons to come and offer countless spinoffs.
    Throwing money at things always makes it better.
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    fahlman said:
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    It's been many decades since I read the Foundation series. My dimming memory doesn't remember the story requiring major CGI -- so throwing money at the project wouldn't make it better. The story is wonderful, and one just needs a cadre of good actors with the needed gravitas. The material is right there for the taking. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    I’m looking forward to that also. I’m a big Tolkien geek  though. I only watch the extended versions of the LOTR and The Hobbit trilogies. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    entropys said:
    Not to mention September is the beginning of the new seasons for the networks. Viewers will have their tv attention divided in many different directions. Apple must be confident that Foundation is solid (pun intended) to enter into that fray. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    larryjw said:
    fahlman said:
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    It's been many decades since I read the Foundation series. My dimming memory doesn't remember the story requiring major CGI -- so throwing money at the project wouldn't make it better. The story is wonderful, and one just needs a cadre of good actors with the needed gravitas. The material is right there for the taking. 
    Don't conflate properly funding a project with carelessly putting money into a project. Apple has a long history of putting less into R&D than others with great success… but they still throw money at R&D because zero funding means zero results.

If you don't think that better writers, producers, directors, actors, and set designers, and countless other areas that result in the finished project then I don't know what to tell you, except that I think you're wrong if you believe that the "Battle of the Bastards" episode of Game of Thrones could've been just as good or better if they didn't use 500 extras, 600 crew members, 70 horses, and 4 film crews over a 25 days shoot for one battle scene in that episode.

Maybe they should've just used CGI for the people and and horses or just had the characters in close ups for a minute so you can't see the battle taking place or how about just have the characters talk about the battle without the viewer ever getting to see it? Nah… I think putting a reported $10 million into that battle was well worth it. I certainly remember it fondly.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Japhey said:
    entropys said:
    Not to mention September is the beginning of the new seasons for the networks. Viewers will have their tv attention divided in many different directions. Apple must be confident that Foundation is solid (pun intended) to enter into that fray. 
    Ahh good point.  In fact maybe Apple thinks it is so good it will take eyeballs aware from the networks..
    Japhey
  • Reply 17 of 17
    larryjw said:
    fahlman said:
    Xed said:
    Japhey said:
    Well there is Trantor.  I expect there will be lots of complaints it is ripping off Star Wars. You know there will be.
    williamlondon