New iPad Pro models with larger screens are under development

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2021
Apple is considering offering consumers larger sizes of iPad Pro models, with super-sized variants potentially arriving within a few years.

Apple's largest tablet has been the 12.9-inch iPad Pro ever since the product's first release. While Apple has changed the sizes of other iPad models, including multiple alterations for the smaller variant of the iPad Pro, it seems that the largest iPad Apple sells may go under the same treatment down the line.

In Bloomberg's "Power On" newsletter, Mark Gurman was reportedly told that Apple is exploring the idea of a bigger tablet size, with engineers and designers working on versions that could arrive "a couple of years down the road at the earliest."

Gurman further claims the 2022 refresh of the iPad Pro lineup will consist of models reusing the existing 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes, which will rule out larger iterations. There is also the advice that such tablets may never actually get released at all.

On June 4, a report claimed Apple is working on adding a glass back to the iPad Pro range for 2022, bringing the product family in line with the styling of the iPhone 12. A wireless charging system similar to MagSafe is also allegedly planned, which would be facilitated with the change to a "glass sandwich" design.

There have also been claims Apple is working on so-called reverse charging, or "bilateral" charging, for the iPad Pro.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    The phrase in the title, "under development," seems a lot more certain that the phrases used in the article: "is considering offering," and "exploring the idea."
    edited June 2021 jahbladewilliamhalanhapplguymejsricbyronlFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 60
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Please, bigger tablets! At 15-16” there will be few reasons for artists to select a MacBook Pro now that the software is beginning with to catch up. I’m in that camp. I’d love an iPad with the screen size of an MBP with the pencil and all that unlocks creatively. 
    tmayjahbladecaladaniandavgregSanctum1972byronl
  • Reply 3 of 60
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    What a joke. This is turning that mime into reality. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, back when they first released the iPad, there was a running joke that Apple will "innovate" by introducing larger and larger-sized iPads with no other new features. Well, sounds like it's becoming true. Welcome to the Cook era folks.

edited June 2021 indieshackwilliamlondondewmeFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 60
    croffordcrofford Posts: 96member
    I’ve wanted a 65” iPad for years. 
    jahbladedewmeTRAG
  • Reply 5 of 60
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    If Apple offers this it will be essentially a “desktop” iPad aimed at artist studios, designers, architects, etc.
    williamlondontmayjahbladepolymniadrdavidcaladanianmattinozdavgregSanctum1972byronl
  • Reply 6 of 60
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    jcc said:
    What a joke. This is turning that mime into reality. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, back when they first released the iPad, there was a running joke that Apple will "innovate" by introducing larger and larger-sized iPads with no other new features. Well, sounds like it's becoming true. Welcome to the Cook era folks.

This. Apple has become scared to bring anything new to market
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    polymnia said:
    Please, bigger tablets! At 15-16” there will be few reasons for artists to select a MacBook Pro now that the software is beginning with to catch up. I’m in that camp. I’d love an iPad with the screen size of an MBP with the pencil and all that unlocks creatively. 
    A 16:9, 16 inch iPad Pro to match a future 16 MBP would be very well received in the creative community, and given the rumored timeframe, perhaps Apple will employ micro LED technology into both screens. 
    edited June 2021 jahbladedrdavidSanctum1972byronl
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Given how long that the iPad has been on the market, and the innovations that we have seen in the iPad, including, larger and smaller form factors, are you sure that you don't want to delete this particular post, which brands you forever as clueless?
    blastdoorapplguywilliamlondonbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 9 of 60
    jcc said:

...and yet Apple brought the iPad Pro 12.9 with the M1, including an XDR screen and USB 4.0, to market, thereby redefining the iPad, again...
    williamlondonJanNLFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 60
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    firelock said:
    If Apple offers this it will be essentially a “desktop” iPad aimed at artist studios, designers, architects, etc.
    Yeah, at which point it simply should run macOS.
    If you want to run iPad apps, there’s Catalyst and full-screen-mode.
    The whole point of the restrictive touchUI is gone once screen sizes go up.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 60
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    jcc said:

Why would it be a joke? As stated by Tmay, it would be well received. It will probably start at $1499 but it would be a true beast of an iPad!
  • Reply 12 of 60
    I have trouble switching different size keyboards!! I also have a problem with touch pads many incorporate. For me at least, I want to stick with same size keyboards. I just upgraded from a 9.7’’ IPad Pro to an 11’’ IPad Pro that features about the same mechanical size as my 9.7.  I also purchased the less expensive keyboard….from EBay and it works fine without the troublesome touchpad.

So in summary, my suggestion is sure, market lager IPads BUT KEEP THE KEYBOARDS ONE STANDARD SIZE and smaller is far better than larger keyboards at least from  me
  • Reply 13 of 60
    tedz98tedz98 Posts: 80member
    What Apple has been avoiding for years but is the absolute solution is a MacBook Pro with a touch screen on an articulated hinge which would allow it to be used as a tablet. There is a convergence occurring between the Mac book and the iPad, especially with the M1 chip. So maybe a large iPad with a keyboard is the solution but you can’t run Mac apps on an iPad. Seems like the best solution is a touch screen Mac book pro.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 60
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    jcc said:

Having read these boards for a few years now, it’s hilarious to see the same myopic commentary cycle around over and over again. 

Apple brings many new things to market. First they’re chided as pointless or useless. Then after a year or two when those same devices have become ubiquitous, the peanut gallery bellyaches about the incremental updates that aren’t earth-shattering brand new products. Then, eventually, the complaints start rolling in that older versions of devices are slow and are the victims of conspiracies of planned obsolescence. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

On June 29, it will be all of 14 years ago when the original iPhone was released. Fourteen years. Prior to that, there was no iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, Apple Watch, AppleTV, Apple Pencil, Apple App Store, HomePod, AirPod, M1 Apple Silicon, Airtag, etc. Kids in high school now were all born before any of these things existed. 

So sure, you keep believing Apple is scared to bring anything new to market. 
    tmaywilliamlondonbageljoeyRayz2016patchythepiraterobabaDAalsethJanNLuraharabyronl
  • Reply 15 of 60
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Micro LED screens, Apple!
  • Reply 16 of 60
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Many years back, Dell had an 18" tablet, the XPS 1810.  It was a full-fledged Windows computer, but keyboard and mouse were optional and was basically a touch-enabled Windows tablet.  

I think they did come out with the 1820 the following year.  But then discontinued.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 17 of 60
    I would to see a WACOM killer right now. And to do remote FCX and ProTools editing 👌🏿
    tmaypolymniabyronl
  • Reply 18 of 60
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I would to see a WACOM killer right now. And to do remote FCX and ProTools editing 👌🏿
    As much as I love pen input, Wacom is not making my work fun anymore. I second someone else disrupting the pen input for creatives market. Why not Apple?
    tmay
  • Reply 19 of 60
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    And allows 16:9 aspect ratio setting  when connecting to an external monitor.
    davgreg
  • Reply 20 of 60
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    tedz98 said:
    What Apple has been avoiding for years but is the absolute solution is a MacBook Pro with a touch screen on an articulated hinge which would allow it to be used as a tablet. There is a convergence occurring between the Mac book and the iPad, especially with the M1 chip. So maybe a large iPad with a keyboard is the solution but you can’t run Mac apps on an iPad. Seems like the best solution is a touch screen Mac book pro.
    And yet, Apple has said repeatedly and recently they’re not going to do that.

MacOS is not designed for a touchscreen interface, and Mac Pro users would probably be peeved if MacOS was dumbed down to run tablet computers (which are iPads and already have an operating system).
    tmaywilliamlondonbyronl