New iPad Pro models with larger screens are under development

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    AppleZulu said:
    tedz98 said:
    What Apple has been avoiding for years but is the absolute solution is a MacBook Pro with a touch screen on an articulated hinge which would allow it to be used as a tablet. There is a convergence occurring between the Mac book and the iPad, especially with the M1 chip. So maybe a large iPad with a keyboard is the solution but you can’t run Mac apps on an iPad. Seems like the best solution is a touch screen Mac book pro.
    And yet, Apple has said repeatedly and recently they’re not going to do that.

MacOS is not designed for a touchscreen interface, and Mac Pro users would probably be peeved if MacOS was dumbed down to run tablet computers (which are iPads and already have an operating system).
    This idea that a tablet OS has to be dumbed in comparison to a laptop / desktop OS is a fallacy.  There's no rule that says this has to be the way.  Just because Apple chose that path doesn't automatically mean it's the right path.  For once MS has a legit answer specifically to the Mac and iPad with Windows 11.  And the Windows 11 App Store is far more developer friendly vs Mac and iPadOS App Stores.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90650205/windows-11-vs-ipad-tech?partner=msn&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=msn+fastcompany&utm_content=msn

https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2021/06/microsofts-windows-11-declares-war-on-apple-by-bringing-a-new-app-store-model-to-market-taking-zero-commission-more.html
    edited June 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 60
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    What a joke. This is turning that mime into reality. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, back when they first released the iPad, there was a running joke that Apple will "innovate" by introducing larger and larger-sized iPads with no other new features. Well, sounds like it's becoming true. Welcome to the Cook era folks.

This. Apple has become scared to bring anything new to market
    ...and yet Apple brought the iPad Pro 12.9 with the M1, including an XDR screen and USB 4.0, to market, thereby redefining the iPad, again...
    …better multi-tasking…better memory management…better windowing format…

the op is right their just phoning it in.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    What a joke. This is turning that mime into reality. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, back when they first released the iPad, there was a running joke that Apple will "innovate" by introducing larger and larger-sized iPads with no other new features. Well, sounds like it's becoming true. Welcome to the Cook era folks.

...and yet Apple brought the iPad Pro 12.9 with the M1, including an XDR screen and USB 4.0, to market, thereby redefining the iPad, again...
    JinTech said:
    jcc said:

Why would it be a joke? As stated by Tmay, it would be well received. It will probably start at $1499 but it would be a true beast of an iPad!
    AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Having read these boards for a few years now, it’s hilarious to see the same myopic commentary cycle around over and over again. 

Apple brings many new things to market. First they’re chided as pointless or useless. Then after a year or two when those same devices have become ubiquitous, the peanut gallery bellyaches about the incremental updates that aren’t earth-shattering brand new products. Then, eventually, the complaints start rolling in that older versions of devices are slow and are the victims of conspiracies of planned obsolescence. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

On June 29, it will be all of 14 years ago when the original iPhone was released. Fourteen years. Prior to that, there was no iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, Apple Watch, AppleTV, Apple Pencil, Apple App Store, HomePod, AirPod, M1 Apple Silicon, Airtag, etc. Kids in high school now were all born before any of these things existed. 

So sure, you keep believing Apple is scared to bring anything new to market. 
    No, you already forgot what Jobs’ first task when he returned to Apple? He drastically cut the numerous models of everything down to a handful. He mantra was focus. There’s a complete lack of focus now. Instead of a couple of iPhone sizes, there are now 5. Instead of a couple of iPad sizes, they’re going for 4. This is the actions of incompetence, not customer choice. Instead of showing the customers what they need, Cook has no clue and thus needs to throw crap into the market to see what sticks.

When we talked about bringing innovation back, we’re talking about what’s next. What’s next beyond the iPad? Beyond the window dressing of bringing different sized devices and calling it innovation?

So, for those of you that are as clueless Cook, here’s something for you to ponder. This is a quote from Jobs and is posted on the wall of the Apple campus near the entrance. Cook needs to figure out the answer to this question. What’s next Cook? A decade after Steve’s death, we’re still waiting.

edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 60
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Ah, was looking forward to Apple finding a new reason of increasing the device prices with features nobody really needs. How about making a decently priced laptop with 16” screen instead. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

Why would it be a joke? As stated by Tmay, it would be well received. It will probably start at $1499 but it would be a true beast of an iPad!
    AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Having read these boards for a few years now, it’s hilarious to see the same myopic commentary cycle around over and over again. 

Apple brings many new things to market. First they’re chided as pointless or useless. Then after a year or two when those same devices have become ubiquitous, the peanut gallery bellyaches about the incremental updates that aren’t earth-shattering brand new products. Then, eventually, the complaints start rolling in that older versions of devices are slow and are the victims of conspiracies of planned obsolescence. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

On June 29, it will be all of 14 years ago when the original iPhone was released. Fourteen years. Prior to that, there was no iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, Apple Watch, AppleTV, Apple Pencil, Apple App Store, HomePod, AirPod, M1 Apple Silicon, Airtag, etc. Kids in high school now were all born before any of these things existed. 

No, you already forgot what Jobs’ first task when he returned to Apple? He drastically cut the numerous models of everything down to a handful. He mantra was focus. There’s a complete lack of focus now. Instead of a couple of iPhone sizes, there are now 5. Instead of a couple of iPad sizes, they’re going for 4. This is the actions of incompetence, not customer choice. Instead of showing the customers what they need, Cook has no clue and thus needs to throw crap into the market to see what sticks.

When we talked about bringing innovation back, we’re talking about what’s next. What’s next beyond the iPad? Beyond the window dressing of bringing different sized devices and calling it innovation?

So, for those of you that are as clueless Cook, here’s something for you to ponder. This is a quote from Jobs and is posted on the wall of the Apple campus near the entrance. Cook needs to figure out the answer to this question. What’s next Cook? A decade after Steve’s death, we’re still waiting.

Shorter post;

"Company that sells projected 230 M to 240 M iPhones this year in 5 different models, is proof positive that Apple has lost its focus, and it's all Cook's fault"

williamlondonSanctum1972thtbeowulfschmidtbyronlfastasleepFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 26 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    AI_lias said:
    Ah, was looking forward to Apple finding a new reason of increasing the device prices with features nobody really needs. How about making a decently priced laptop with 16” screen instead. 
    FFS,

There's obviously a 16 inch MBP on the horizon, which should arrive with the next generation M2, likely by September, and I doubt that the price is going to be any more extravagant than current models.
    williamlondontht
  • Reply 27 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    I guess a 20inch is out of the question.
    I could go paper free overnight with an A3 iPad, 
    Still full A4 with space for interface like a 16inch would be, would probably still get me there. Especially if in the meantime iPadOS allows apps to carry a secondary non-touch interface in the payload, either for it to run on a second screen or bump up to a Mac and have the 2 devices work seamlessly with each other. 

I think the CAD/Bim Vendors know iPadPro level devices are a natural fit to the people who use their software and they can afford to be too late delivering. 
    tmay
  • Reply 28 of 60
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    IPad OS is missing the biggest feature from MacOS: multiple accounts. I want an iPad where each member of the family can log in and use it fully (keychain, messages, etc) instead of it being primarily a single person’s device. Not everyone can afford Apple’s solution: buy multiple iPads.
    MplsPbyronl
  • Reply 29 of 60
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    jcc said:

"Welcome" to the Cook era? You mean the one that started ten years ago when Jobs died? And that has led to Apple becoming exponentially more successful than it ever was? THAT era? Cook has innovated two entire categories for Apple that now beat iPad + Mac revenue by about 50%, while totaling about half of iPhone revenue. Those categories are Wearables, which didn't debut until 2015, and Services, which barely drove revenue at all under Jobs. 
    edited June 2021 roundaboutnowtmaymuthuk_vanalingambyronlthtfastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 60
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    This would be great news for musicians who use an iPad Pro and bluetooth foot pedal to replace paper sheet music. There are already quite a few converts but a screen that is just a bit larger could produce many more converts. People who complain that adding another iPad size indicates a lack of focus just fail to understand there are potentially large markets for a larger tablet used in ways they failed to imagine.
    muthuk_vanalingamSanctum1972
  • Reply 31 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    rrabu said:
    IPad OS is missing the biggest feature from MacOS: multiple accounts. I want an iPad where each member of the family can log in and use it fully (keychain, messages, etc) instead of it being primarily a single person’s device. Not everyone can afford Apple’s solution: buy multiple iPads.
    There are few parts of user profile Apple could really improve. I think it would be great not just to have multiple users but users to be able to distinguish spaces within their profile even shared spaces. 

iCloud have been improving itself to handle this at the app level would be great if those efforts are to make it a full user level function. 

If iPad does get multi-user I'd think there still be a primary who gets FaceID/TouchID support and others might be passcode unlock with trusted device unlock.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    I agree with many posts here that a larger iPad would be very useful for music, graphics/CAD and other visual arts professionals. But so too would a larger size come in handy in many commercial, customer facing applications such as information and check-in kiosks, point-of-sale, and museum/visitor center interactives.
    mattinozFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 60
    AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

I find nothing in electronics ‘’scared!’’  What is available resulted from fine engineering, marketing and of course corporate muscle to produce and peddle the product. As to IPads, I did my best searching competing products offering performance benefits equal to my new 11’’ IPad Pro.  The ONLY reason I did not purchase a sub-performing but SMS capable  machine was I found a decent, no make the very good SMS service in T-Moble’s Digits. Otherwise I would not have stayed with Apple. And no, I don’t own their IPhone that would permit SMS messaging. Mine is an old Samsung S8 Active. And yes, I had tried other SMS services with my older IPad Pro and all substandard.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 60
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

So… once they’ve introduced a product line, you think they’re supposed to check that off the list, discontinue it and move on to the next thing? No, that can’t be it. 
    williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 60
    And will it will be released with a $1699 auto tilting iEasel(tm), sold separately? Lol!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 60
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    AppleZulu said:
    tedz98 said:
    What Apple has been avoiding for years but is the absolute solution is a MacBook Pro with a touch screen on an articulated hinge which would allow it to be used as a tablet. There is a convergence occurring between the Mac book and the iPad, especially with the M1 chip. So maybe a large iPad with a keyboard is the solution but you can’t run Mac apps on an iPad. Seems like the best solution is a touch screen Mac book pro.
    And yet, Apple has said repeatedly and recently they’re not going to do that.

MacOS is not designed for a touchscreen interface, and Mac Pro users would probably be peeved if MacOS was dumbed down to run tablet computers (which are iPads and already have an operating system).
    Steve Jobs also panned styluses when he introduced the iPhone yet Apple introduced tha Apple Pencil a few years ago. Apple has its philosophy with its products, but it’s also not blind to the market. If they think there’s a market they’ll develop the product. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamdewme
  • Reply 37 of 60
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Shorter post;

"Company that sells projected 230 M to 240 M iPhones this year in 5 different models, is proof positive that Apple has lost its focus, and it's all Cook's fault"

I think you should re-read the post and respond to what was said rather than changing the meaning to something you can slam. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 60
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    rcfa said:
    firelock said:
    If Apple offers this it will be essentially a “desktop” iPad aimed at artist studios, designers, architects, etc.
    Yeah, at which point it simply should run macOS.
    If you want to run iPad apps, there’s Catalyst and full-screen-mode.
    The whole point of the restrictive touchUI is gone once screen sizes go up.
    No, there is a niche that it would fill nicely.
    The Surface Studio from MS is there. 

I would love an iPad OS desktop device that can tilt down for pencil use or be upright with all the proper connectivity and a regular power supply.

• Reply 39 of 60
    If Apple wants to push the iPad as a content creation device (I.e. a ‘real’ computer,) a bigger screen is probably necessary. Even 12.9” is still limiting. The problem is a touch interface becomes increasingly less usable with a larger screen. Someone sarcastically posted about a 60” iPad. Theoretically Apple could make one, but it would be totally unusable. There’s likely a limit to a usable iPad touch interface size. I don’t know if 12.9” is the limit, but I doubt you could go much bigger.  

The other limitation is iPadOS. There’s been a chorus of complaints about iPadOS on AI, mostly justified. iOS started as an iPhone OS that was expanded to iPads. Then iPadOS split off, but it’s still little more than an overblown smartphone OS. 

I love my iPad and regularly use it for many tasks, but often find myself switching to my MBP because the iPad is just too cumbersome or limiting. Just yesterday I was trying to edit a contact group - nope, just plain can’t do it on an iPad. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 60
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

JinTech said:
    jcc said:

AppleZulu said:
    jcc said:

Jobs also told Tim Cook to chart his own path. 

Steve’s decision to drastically cut product was informed by a LOT of VERY DIFFERENT business realities. Apple was facing insolvency then, with far too many products that only really had a chance to sell to Apple die hards of the time. Apple is now facing the high expectations of a nearly ubiquitous customer base. It is quite reasonable for Apple to take a different strategy now. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamtmayroundaboutnowFileMakerFellerDetnator