Apple's 'iPhone 13 Pro' to gain new ultra wide camera with autofocus, says Kuo

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2021
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that the forthcoming "iPhone 13 Pro" will feature a new ultra wide camera lens, whose autofocusing will help take sharper images.

iPhone 12 Pro

Following his recent report that the "iPhone 13" range will feature impressive new features, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has specified what he expects one of them to be. Based on what he describes as "our latest industry survey," Kuo has identified a new supplier, G-Shank.

"G-Shank is a professional metal stamping and tooling manufacturer," says Kuo in a note to investors seen by AppleInsider. G-Shank has exclusively obtained orders from Largan for the iPhone VCM [voice coil motor]."

Apple has previously been reported to have ordered precision "iPhone 13" lenses from Largan. The work includes use of VCMs, which are camera components that directly aid focusing.

"We predict that all four 2H22 new iPhones will support AF in their ultra-wide cameras," continues Kuo. "Among the 2H21 new iPhones, the two high-end iPhone Pro series models have AF support for ultra-wide cameras."

"Based on Apple's past camera upgrade pattern," says Kuo, "we believe that all four 2H22 new iPhones will have AF support for ultra-wide cameras."

Separately, Kuo has recently predicted that the 2022 "iPhone 14" range will include a 48MP camera. He's also said that the will be no "iPhone 14 mini," which has led to reports of the smaller iPhone being dropped from Apple's plans. Recent leaked images suggest that there will be an "iPhone 13 mini," however.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    JaiOh81JaiOh81 Posts: 60member
    I hope he’s right but regardless I’ll be swapping my 12 Pro Max for the 13 Pro Max
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Apple seems to spend a lot more time working with the wide and ultra-wide lenses.
    Might just be me, but I rarely, if ever, wished I was further away from a subject I was photographing. I usually want to be closer.
    Wish they would focus (pun definitely intended) on zoom capabilities. That was a key reason I picked up a 12 Pro last year.
    retrogustoroundaboutnowJapheyelijahg
  • Reply 3 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    mike1 said:
    Apple seems to spend a lot more time working with the wide and ultra-wide lenses.
    Might just be me, but I rarely, if ever, wished I was further away from a subject I was photographing. I usually want to be closer.
    Wish they would focus (pun definitely intended) on zoom capabilities. That was a key reason I picked up a 12 Pro last year.
    The wide lens (essentially the "normal" lens on iPhone) and ultra wide are the lenses people use most often, so Apple expends most of its efforts on those lenses. As for optical zoom, I don't understand why Apply lags so far behind Samsung here, maxing out at 2.5x in the 12 Pro Max vs 10x for Galaxy 21S Ultra. The main reason I don't use zoom more often on my 12 Pro Max is because it offers so little additional "reach," at least in terms of purely optical zoom. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    mike1 said:
    Apple is definitely rumored to have folded optic imaging on their roadmap, but you might be best waiting for the rumored 48 Mp imager in the iPhone 14. 

I'm on an iPhone 7 Plus, and passed on upgrading to the 12, when I read rumors at that time of variable screen refresh that coming to the iPhone 13, so that's what I'm waiting for.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    mike1 said:
    Agreed. The ultrawide seems like more of a gimmick, whereas the “telephoto” is only a 52mm equivalent in full-frame measurement, which means it’s not particularly tele except when compared to the other options—it shows things almost exactly as they appear in real life. I know I often see people pinching to zoom in when photographing, and most of the time I want to see things as they appear, or closer, and the tele is best for landscapes and portraits because it distorts the least. If the Mini came with a tele instead of an ultrawide, I would have bought it, but no tele was a dealbreaker for me. I figured they save the tele for the most expensive cameras because they want strong features to distinguish the top-tier models, but they can easily throw in an ultrawide as a nice-to-have feature that almost nobody is going to pay a few hundred extra for. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    mike1 said:
    Agreed. The ultrawide seems like more of a gimmick, whereas the “telephoto” is only a 52mm equivalent in full-frame measurement, which means it’s not particularly tele except when compared to the other options—it shows things almost exactly as they appear in real life. I know I often see people pinching to zoom in when photographing, and most of the time I want to see things as they appear, or closer, and the tele is best for landscapes and portraits because it distorts the least. If the Mini came with a tele instead of an ultrawide, I would have bought it, but no tele was a dealbreaker for me. I figured they save the tele for the most expensive cameras because they want strong features to distinguish the top-tier models, but they can easily throw in an ultrawide as a nice-to-have feature that almost nobody is going to pay a few hundred extra for. 
    The limiting factor for a telephoto zoom lens is the stack height, and while it is probable that Apple can improve that 62 mm 2.5 x lens in the Pro Max to a somewhat longer focal length, the ideal solution will be folded optics. 

I will certainly use the ultra wide angle lens, but you are correct that there will be post processing required to mitigate distortion.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    An ultra zoom would be a far more exciting feature. The photos of the moon taken by Samsung's 100x zoom are impressive to say the least. The moon photos on the iPhone are just blurry little dots. Ultra zoom is useful for all kinds of things, not just the moon but it is the clearest example of why it's a great feature.
    JaiOh81elijahgeriamjh
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    An ultra zoom would be a far more exciting feature. The photos of the moon taken by Samsung's 100x zoom are impressive to say the least. The moon photos on the iPhone are just blurry little dots. Ultra zoom is useful for all kinds of things, not just the moon but it is the clearest example of why it's a great feature.
    I agree. I never say "I wish I could be further away for this picture".  

It's always "I wish I could have gotten closer and captured more detail."
    elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mike1 said:
    I'm going to venture a guess that Apple knows fairly well how the vast majority of users (who are not "photographers" in any professional sense) use their iPhone cameras, and that far more people are taking pictures of people or groups of people or other "street photography" type scenarios in relatively close proximity where the ultrawide shines over using telephoto for landscapes and portraits, hence the choice of lenses for the lower end models. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    mike1 said:
    I'm going to venture a guess that Apple knows fairly well how the vast majority of users (who are not "photographers" in any professional sense) use their iPhone cameras, and that far more people are taking pictures of people or groups of people or other "street photography" type scenarios in relatively close proximity where the ultrawide shines over using telephoto for landscapes and portraits, hence the choice of lenses for the lower end models. 
    If ultrawide is so popular, why is it Apple is one of the only vendors with an ultrawide lens; whilst many Android phones have way better than 2.5x zoom but lack ultrawide? iPhones have been stuck at 2x since 2017. As an enthusiast photographer myself, it must be 1000 to 1 the times I have wanted more zoom vs a wider lens. 
    muthuk_vanalingam