Facebook joins $1 trillion market cap club following dismissal of FTC suit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Facebook stock surpassed the mythical $1 trillion high-water mark for the first time on Monday after a pair of antitrust lawsuits were dismissed in federal court.

Facebook

Shares of the social network finished up 4% at $355.64 at the close of trading, giving the company a market cap of just over $1 trillion.

Hours before trading was halted, a federal court granted Facebook's request to dismiss a U.S. Federal Trade Commission antitrust lawsuit. According to the judge, the FTC's complaint, which alleged Facebook maintains monopoly power over the social networking sector through illegal means, was "legally insufficient."

"FTC has failed to plead enough facts to plausibly establish a necessary element of all of its Section 2 claims -- namely, that Facebook has monopoly power in the market for Personal Social Networking (PSN) Services," the judgment reads.

The case dates back to 2020, when the FTC and attorneys general from 48 states and territories lodged twin antitrust filings against the social networking giant. Among the suits' chief complaints was allegedly anticompetitive conduct related to acquisitions of competing services, specifically WhatsApp and Instagram.

The states' case was also dismissed on Monday in district court.

Facebook is among an elite group of tech companies to surpass the $1 trillion mark, following in the footsteps of Alphabet, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft, reports CNET.

Apple went on to become the first U.S. company to obtain a $2 trillion market cap in August 2020, and Microsoft recently reached that same milestone last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The $1 Trillion market cap is ‘mythical’? Apple and Microsoft are at $2 Trillion. Nothing mythical about it.   :#
    Rayz2016fotoformatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    It all began with a small sleazy college app that rated women's faces. A lot bigger now including the sleaze. Yuk.
    baconstangJapheyrob53fotoformatmuthuk_vanalingamronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Amazing that a company that doesn’t actually make something has such a high market cap. I wonder if congressional pressure will invalidate this court ruling. 
    emig647watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    I sometimes wonder if Mark Suckerburg is just really dumb, instead of the calculating villain I believe him to be. Because his answers are always such a combination of meaningless and clueless. "But senator, we collect the data because we have to."
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    amar99 said:
    I sometimes wonder if Mark Suckerburg is just really dumb, instead of the calculating villain I believe him to be. Because his answers are always such a combination of meaningless and clueless. "But senator, we collect the data because we have to."
    He is a villain. All that is missing is the monocle and the white cat.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    I disactivated my account recently, something I should’ve done a long time ago. 
    Sick and tired of all the BS suggestions about new friends and postings about celebrating someone’s dog’s birthdays. 
    Only kept messenger, since many family members communicate through it. 
    Oh and thanks to Apple for putting in tighter controls on app tracking. 

emig647watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    rob53 said:
    Amazing that a company that doesn’t actually make something has such a high market cap. I wonder if congressional pressure will invalidate this court ruling. 
    The judge is giving the government a period of time to submit new evidence and start over in the Facebook lawsuit. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. Congress can't "pressure" the court. They could pass some of the tech related antitrust bills, but it remains to be seen which of those will actually pass and whether or not they would be signed into law. 
    edited June 2021 emig647watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    We need an Orson Welles today to make a movie like Citizen Kane about Mark Zuckerberg. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    We need an Orson Welles today to make a movie like Citizen Kane about Mark Zuckerberg. 
    Jfc are you ignorant about everything?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    rob53 said:

Doesn't really work like that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    crowley said:
    The difference is that Zuckerberg didn't mind that movie, and the movie helped promote his brand and his wealth, while Randolph Hearst was ENRAGED by Citizen Kane and tried to ban it every way he could. Perhaps I should have explained myself better because you have a long, long history of (intentionally?) missing my points. I apologize for assuming that you knew history. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    The difference is that Zuckerberg didn't mind that movie, and the movie helped promote his brand and his wealth, while Randolph Hearst was ENRAGED by Citizen Kane and tried to ban it every way he could. Perhaps I should have explained myself better because you have a long, long history of (intentionally?) missing my points. I apologize for assuming that you knew history. 
    1. He's said on more than one occasion that he doesn't like it.
    2. He was already very wealthy, and the movie made him look like a sociopath, not a regular form of "promotion"
    3. Randolph Hearst had the power to move against Citizen Kane, Zuckerbeg has limited ability to do such a thing.
    4. You have no point.  You never do.  You just pontificate and ask questions mindlessly.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Congrats to Facebook.  I don’t use it or any other social media app.  But it’s an impressive feat to accomplish