Apple supply chain readying for third quarter 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro release

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2021
The supply chain appears to be prepping itself for a September debut of new Apple Silicon computers, with the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro expected to debut in the third quarter of 2021.

Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro
Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro

According to sources within the supply chain, Apple has validated two new suppliers for mini-LED components. As part of a paywalled report, DigiTimes claims that the backlight components from the new suppliers are intended for a "third quarter" release of new Apple Silicon MacBook Pro models, and not the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Suppliers Zhen Ding and Tripod have reportedly completed validation and yield checks, and will start ramping up production to meed production needs to meet Apple's timetable. Given that the checks are said to have just completed, it isn't precisely clear when in the third quarter the products will launch, but given historical lead times on component shipments intended for a sub-assembly like a screen that will be used for a finished product, a release of the new MacBook Pro at an Apple September event seems probable, versus one in July or August.

Apple reportedly plans to offer both the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro with two different processor options. Reportedly codenamed "Jade C-Chop" and "Jade C-Die," they both feature eight high-performance cores, and two energy-efficient ones.

These 10-core processor versions will vary by having either 16, or 32 graphics cores. The new processors are also said to feature an improved Neural Engine.

Both new MacBook Pro models will come with a redesigned chassis that, as previously predicted, includes a MagSafe charger port, HDMI, and SD card support.

The two models are also said to support up to 64GB of Unified RAM, up from the present maximum limit of 16GB. They will offer more Thunderbolt ports than present Apple Silicon computers do.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I don’t need a new MBP right now, but I’m hoping these are absolute beasts!
    looks good so far!
    williamlondonMisterKitdoozydozenneo-techArchStanton
  • Reply 2 of 24
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 82member
    These machines will be bonkers. A 16” with mini LED and 64GB unified RAM. A Beast indeed. 
    williamlondondoozydozenbyronlArchStanton
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I am excited about this! Both models too. With AS, the 14-inch and 16-inch may start to have similar or same power. Size would be the only difference. Makes me wonder if I’d go for the 14 inch as the sweet spot of portability. Perhaps not, as larger screen benefits my work, but still excited to see the 14-inch.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 24
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    Quoting a recent article, "According to a popular benchmark site, CpuMonkey, there is an M1x in production that will be used in the upcoming 14 and 16 inches Macbook pros.  According to this leak, the M1x has a 12 core CPU and a 16 core GPU."

So which is it? 10-cores or 12?

• Reply 5 of 24
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    hmlongco said:
    Quoting a recent article, "According to a popular benchmark site, CpuMonkey, there is an M1x in production that will be used in the upcoming 14 and 16 inches Macbook pros.  According to this leak, the M1x has a 12 core CPU and a 16 core GPU."

Well, both are rumors, so that needs to be taken into consideration.  However, in terms of credibility, Mark Gurman / Bloomberg have far more credibility than CPU monkey for such things.  Let's face it, the CPU Monkey was just a "guess" which effectively just doubled everything in the M1.  The Bloomberg article seemed to have far more detail and seemed to have a much more plausible rumor.  If either rumor is true, it will be the Bloomberg rumor. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    This can't come soon enough for me. My MBP is 2017, which is ancient for me, since I've been holding out for Apple ARM since before even the A12Z Developer Kit Mac mini was announced.

techconc said:
    hmlongco said:

Well, both are rumors, so that needs to be taken into consideration.  However, in terms of credibility, Mark Gurman / Bloomberg have far more credibility than CPU monkey for such things.  Let's face it, the CPU Monkey was just a "guess" which effectively just doubled everything in the M1.  The Bloomberg article seemed to have far more detail and seemed to have a much more plausible rumor.  If either rumor is true, it will be the Bloomberg rumor. 
    This And it could be both by offering a couple different tiers on the M1X.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    My 2017 MBP got ruined by a coworker a few months ago and have to borrow a *gasp* crappy windows laptop for a photography/diving vacation in a couple weeks.  I refused to buy another MBP until these new ones came out.  I so wish they were available earlier.  After setting it up, I realize why I jumped ship to Apple years ago.  It really feels like I'm in the early 2000's.  It's a Windows 10 Surface Pro and... damn... I feel like I'm on crutches.
    williamlondondoozydozenbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm a bit worried about the talk of SD and HDMI, as I personally think going all USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 was an improvement. I think, though, if they do go with a new MagSafe power connection, there may be potential to put these ports, plus Ethernet and some other stuff, on the power brick, as currently done for Ethernet on the new iMacs. Of course, I'm sure this will be very unpopular, but I'd rather see them do that than put more large, and structurally compromising holes in the side of the MBP's chassis.

Hell, they could put all ports on the brick, and just have the MagSafe on the MBP itself. I mean, that would be going a bit far, but it does improve the structural integrity of the unit.
    Rayz2016doozydozenbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Well, since my 2017 MBP will likely be considered 'vintage' soon this is perfect timing for a replacement. The 16" sounds like it will be awesome.

anome said:
    I'm a bit worried about the talk of SD and HDMI, as I personally think going all USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 was an improvement. I think, though, if they do go with a new MagSafe power connection, there may be potential to put these ports, plus Ethernet and some other stuff, on the power brick, as currently done for Ethernet on the new iMacs. Of course, I'm sure this will be very unpopular, but I'd rather see them do that than put more large, and structurally compromising holes in the side of the MBP's chassis.

Hell, they could put all ports on the brick, and just have the MagSafe on the MBP itself. I mean, that would be going a bit far, but it does improve the structural integrity of the unit.
    Why would you be worried about an HDMI port or an SD card slot? If you don't use them, just ignore them. If you use and external display less than 5k the HDMI port would be useful. The 3 main uses for the USB C port are charging, external storage and an external display. HDMI is far and away the most common interface for external displays, so it makes perfect sense to include it on a laptop.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    anome said:

An interesting idea, but there are people here with such poor muscle tone that carrying a power brick would literally break them. 

Putting the HDMI port on the power brick makes sense to me as this would mean I could have the laptop further away from screen. The SD port and usb-c though? I think they should stay on the laptop (though I can’t remember the last time I used an SD card, I hear a lot of people still use them). 
    Japhey
  • Reply 11 of 24
    dope_ahminedope_ahmine Posts: 245member
    anome said:

I don’t agree with you at all. Putting essential parts in the brick makes sense for a stationary computer like the iMac, but would be terrible for a portable one like the MBP. It would principally require you to carry that specific brick with you all the time.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonJapheyfastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 24
    anome said:

I don’t agree with you at all. Putting essential parts in the brick makes sense for a stationary computer like the iMac, but would be terrible for a portable one like the MBP. It would principally require you to carry that specific brick with you all the time.
    Sorry but you are missing a potentially great solution bringing built in IO would offer, a dock for when at your office, hotel, or pool side.  When just going out for a quick coffee, leave it behind.

As the current arrangement does not offer IO without a 3rd party dock, you are not loosing anything but rather gaining a great addition when stationary.  

As for the IO options, adding a SD card is way too late and a micro sd slot maybe but a full size slot is old school tech.  The HDMI would be okay, but just buy a usb-c to hdmi cable.  It’s not like you don’t need the cable anyway.  

To me adding the micro sd card slot would be nice, but I would rather have 4-6 usb-c ports. For the love of the almighty, no freaking usb-a ports…just buy the new cable. A mag safe port could be okay but I always charge my MBP 15 via a slow usb-c on the go. So I would not use it as I hate carrying the brick.

williamlondonneo-techfastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    anome said:

So integrating a hub with the power supply? Not sure I'd like it, but I guess it could work, as long as the hub could be used without being connected to a power outlet.  Hubs generally go on the desk too, so it'd need to be a short cable to the brick with a longer cable to the wall outlet.

I imagine they'd hit some severe thermal issues though, thunderbolt hubs can get pretty hot anyway without a MacBook Pro grade PSU in there, and it'd also need to be a dual or quad thunderbolt hub.  Also, it'd probably mean a PSU/hub replacement would be $300+, and with a significantly bigger footprint, which would be a portability issue.

I very much doubt they'll put anything more than ethernet on it, if even that.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    neo-techneo-tech Posts: 38member
    h4y3s said:
    These machines will be bonkers. A 16” with mini LED and 64GB unified RAM. A Beast indeed. 
    Agreed. This is the machine I'd normally be looking at to replace my 15" 2019 i9 MBP ($4700.00 CDN). This time around however, I fear the price will be even more expensive and I'm lean towards a similarly configured Mac mini (pro?) to save some coin.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I guess it only has to beat the Radeon Pro 5600M on the 16" MacBook Pro. That may be possible without a discrete GPU. The question is whether Apple can beat the Radeon Pro 5700XT in the 2020 iMac if they release larger screen iMac models this year. If they can't do that, I hope they wait until the M2 with a discrete GPU next year. Apple's entry into the discrete GPU market could be a major event. It sounds like Intel's first discrete GPU is disappointing based on the reviews.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    MplsP said:
    Well, since my 2017 MBP will likely be considered 'vintage' soon this is perfect timing for a replacement. The 16" sounds like it will be awesome.

anome said:

Why would you be worried about an HDMI port or an SD card slot? If you don't use them, just ignore them. If you use and external display less than 5k the HDMI port would be useful. The 3 main uses for the USB C port are charging, external storage and an external display. HDMI is far and away the most common interface for external displays, so it makes perfect sense to include it on a laptop.
    So… every time you use a USB drive or add/remove s device, plug in an external display, etc., you have to crawl on the ground and access the nasty ghetto power brick? No thank you. 

For one, power bricks are trash. At the bare minimum, any power supply to the computer should plug directly into the computer on one end and the wall socket at the other end. Nothing should ever just be lying around, littering the floor. 

Secondly, putting your device access on a brick in the floor is an ergonomic disaster. 

Bad all the way around. Ports on the machine is best. 

Imagine toting your laptop on battery power down the hall real quick - you don’t want to lug a power adapter too just to access ports that should be integral to the machine in the first place. 
    DnykjpRfC6fnBs
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Ugh ... sold my 16" MacBook in preparation for a new one at the WWDC (rumored) launch - waiting for a new one until September problematic.

Want the same configuration on the new one as my last - best CPU, GPU, 32 GB RAM, and 2 TB SSD (and a luscious mini-LED display).

Hoping for something like Face ID, but will be fine with a 1080p camera.

I wonder if it'll beat my 2020 iMac 5K for transcodes, using the M1x instead of the VideoToolbox IP blocks on the T2.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Bought an MBA M1 4 months ago. But if true and a release of a MBP 16 LED M1X is coming, it would be hard to resist. Hopefully an 8 month MBA M1 will have held good resale value..
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    MplsP said:

anome said:

Because, as I mentioned above, they are large holes in the side of the computer that reduce it's structural integrity and provide ingress points for dust and liquid. The ideal design for a hardy, portable computer is to have no ports at all. I suppose the ultimate form is a MacBook with inductive charging and only wireless connections. Of course, such a device would be considered, quite rightly, absurd (but I suspect it's on someone's roadmap, somewhere).

The key is to find a balance between minimising the number and size of holes in the side of the laptop, and maximising connectivity. That's why going from one each of a half dozen single use ports to 4 multi-purpose ports was actually a good idea. Especially when they went with USB-C which is smaller than most of the ports it was replacing.

In any event, I'm just guessing at what they might do, based on reports like the one in the article, my personal preferences, and what they've done most recently. Apple could end up doing something else entirely, which even Ming Chi Kuo hasn't guessed at.
    williamlondonDetnator
  • Reply 20 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Ugh ... sold my 16" MacBook in preparation for a new one at the WWDC (rumored) launch - waiting for a new one until September problematic.
    I really don’t understand why you’d do this. Seems like if the rumor not panning out causes you problems then what I’d guess was your goal of making a few extra bucks on your old Mac wasn’t worth it.