Vietnamese workers sleep on factory floors to prevent COVID outbreaks

Posted:
in General Discussion
In an attempt to solidify its place in the global manufacturing supply chain, Vietnamese factory workers have begun sleeping on factory floors, hoping to reduce coronavirus outbreaks.

Image Credit: Giang Son Dong/Giang Son Dong
Image Credit: Giang Son Dong/Giang Son Dong

As COVID-19 continues to spread across Vietnam, factories are finally allowed to reopen after a period of closure following strict social distancing protocols.

Now, major manufacturing companies are attempting a new strategy to quell the spread of disease -- factory sleepovers.

In the northern provinces of Bay Ninh and Bac Giang, around 150,000 workers are temporarily living on-site at industrial parks to help minimize new infections. In Ho Chi Minh City, two dozen companies are housing 25,000 workers on-site.

According to Bloomberg, workers are sleeping on metal bunks with bamboo mats and cots in makeshift dormitories. Some factories have set up tents for workers to sleep in, requiring the workers to quarantine before returning to work from home.

In addition to living on-site throughout the outbreak, Samsung and other members of the Apple supply chain have been asked by the Vietnam government to secure COVID-19 vaccines for factory workers.

The government has allocated up to 400,000 shots for those working in factories. Currently, Vietnam only has a 4% vaccination rate for its population of 98 million. However, the government hopes to reach a 75% vaccination rate by early 2021.

Apple has various suppliers in Vietnam, including Luxshare and Foxconn, who were forced to shut down their factories in May following a coronavirus increase in the region.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

The government has allocated up to 400,000 shots for those working in factories. Currently, Vietnam only has a 4% vaccination rate for its population of 98 million. However, the government hopes to reach a 75% vaccination rate by early 2021.
    I’m know I’m going out on a limb here, but I don’t think they’re going to make it.

Having employees basically live at work is an interesting method to reduce infection rates. I wouldn’t be into it now but when I was younger that might not have been a terrible thing for me to do, personally.
    twokatmewlongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Whether its Japan, S Korea, or Vietnam -- Asian workers typically out work and out dedicate American workers.   When their governments tell them to isolate, wear masks, test and submit to tracing, they do so -- so their economies stay strong.  Then we whine and complain that our jobs have moved over there.

We have to make up our minds to EITHER compete on the same level as them or stop whining and complaining that we're losing.
    twokatmewnetroxbadmonktokyojimuviclauyycbaconstangkestralapplguylongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Whether its Japan, S Korea, or Vietnam -- Asian workers typically out work and out dedicate American workers.   When their governments tell them to isolate, wear masks, test and submit to tracing, they do so -- so their economies stay strong.  Then we whine and complain that our jobs have moved over there.

We have to make up our minds to EITHER compete on the same level as them or stop whining and complaining that we're losing.
    Exactly! 
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

I’m know I’m going out on a limb here, but I don’t think they’re going to make it.

Having employees basically live at work is an interesting method to reduce infection rates. I wouldn’t be into it now but when I was younger that might not have been a terrible thing for me to do, personally.
    The NBA did that for last season's final eight, and it worked:

https://theundefeated.com/features/how-the-nba-conquered-covid-19/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    I think that "early 2021" vax goal of 75% is a typo.  2022 sounds more doable.

Let's see if Amazon starts putting fold out cots in their trucks...
    edited July 2021 longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    em_teem_te Posts: 41member
    This is why the iPhone cannot be made in the USA.
    GeorgeBMaclongpathwatto_cobra