Facebook-backed study claims default apps dominate on iPhone, Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2021
A new App Store study paid for by Facebook says that Apple and Google's own default apps dominate key categories, making it harder for third-party developers to compete.

App Store
App Store

Following its sponsoring of research to lambast App Tracking Transparency in iOS 14, Facebook has now paid for a separate examination of the App Store. This one claims that of the top 20 most-used iPhone apps, Apple makes 15.

Similarly, the study by Comscore claims that Google owns 12 of the top 20 most-used Android apps.

"[The study shows] the impact of preinstalled apps on the competitive app ecosystem," Joe Osborne, Comscore spokesperson said to The Verge.

Significantly, however, neither Apple nor Google publish usage data for their apps. As a result, Comscore's calculations are reportedly primarily based on a survey that is said to have asked around 4,000 users which apps they used.

The full report has not yet been released, and the only further detail about the survey is that respondents were asked during the month of November 2020. There is no breakdown of what proportion of users use iOS or Android, nor any demographic detail about the respondents.

Perhaps consequently, the data revealed so far contains oddities and anomalies. The most-used app on the iPhone, for instance, is said to be the Phone app --whereas no statistically significant number of Android respondents used their phones.

Extrapolating from the 4,000 respondents, Comscore reportedly also notes that some 78 million iPhone users have used the stock Calculator app on iOS. It claims that this is more than the number of Android users who use Gmail.

Purported top 20 apps on iPhone and Android. (Source: The Verge, Comscore)
Purported top 20 apps on iPhone and Android. (Source: The Verge, Comscore)

Apple told The Verge that the survey was "seriously flawed in a number of ways," and also that its findings contradict other data from Comscore.

"This Facebook-financed survey from December 2020 was narrowly tailored to give the false impression that there's little competition on the App Store," continued the spokesperson. "In truth, third-party apps compete with Apple's apps across every category and enjoy large scale success."

Comscore's survey was conducted in December 2020, asking users about their use in November 2020. As of July 2021, the full report is not listed on Comscore's site.

In the interim, Apple has been facing rising criticism of its App Store policies.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.
transmaster

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    otrfanotrfan Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Maybe if FB had apps or hardware that people actually liked or wanted they’d do better. Using FB is a tedious chore. And their algorithms are the epitome of arrogance and dominance. 
    twokatmewdhawkins541KTRBeatsviclauyyclkruppwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 21
    bfranksbfranks Posts: 22member
    That’s like an oil company paying for research into renewable energy, or a tobacco company researching the effects of smoking  ;)
    twokatmewKTRtransmasterj2fusionbaconstangviclauyycFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 21
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    Facebook looks increasingly desperate. LOL. 
    edited July 2021 KTRBeatsbaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 21
    What complete bovine scatology. Doesn’t it sort of make sense that pre-installed app’s are going to be in wide spread use, that is sort of a no brainer.  I’ll bet Facebook didn’t ask how well loved their app
    is. 
    KTRBeatsFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 21
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Sounds like their methodology is terribly flawed, but even if it wasn’t, so what?  
    Does it not occur to them that Apple’s apps are one of the things we pay for when we buy an iPhone?
    mike1BeatsbaconstangFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 21
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    What a little whiny bitch. So typical of millennials—and they have more money than god. If this is such a financial hardship, build your own platform from the ground up, then make hardware, THEN make an App Store. Every big player has done it. So fucking annoying. 
    mwhiteqwerty52baconstangMicDorseyFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 21
    dhawkins541dhawkins541 Posts: 107member
    What complete bovine scatology. Doesn’t it sort of make sense that pre-installed app’s are going to be in wide spread use, that is sort of a no brainer.  I’ll bet Facebook didn’t ask how well loved their app
    is. 
    Exactly, for an app that is updated as often as it is…it can't manage to maintain dark mode switching back to light often for no reason at all other than just opening the app. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 21
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
     It seems like this is going to be a long brawn out battle.  Even if these companies are forced to remove their apps.  People will still down load the same ones they been using for years.  So what’s the point?
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 21
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Zuckerberg's ego, don't let him understand, that even if Apple was selling its iPhones with Facebook as default app,
    it would be removed anyway from the users
    Who wants such a “Trojan hors” app on his iPhone?
    Wrong business model Zuck!
    Dogpersonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 21
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    mac_dog said:
    What a little whiny bitch. So typical of millennials—and they have more money than god. If this is such a financial hardship, build your own platform from the ground up, then make hardware, THEN make an App Store. Every big player has done it. So fucking annoying. 

Yes, but Zuckerberg knows that he can’t do anything like this. That’s why he is in panic and he is desperate.
    Remember his “Facebook Phone” a few years ago, who Zuckerberg proudly announced it as the iPhone killer.
    But this phone was a real disaster. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 21
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I think Apple and Google should invest heavily to support the Facebook killer they should enlist Samsung to copy Facebook’s best features and then encourage downloads by giving 3 free months to the streaming Apps of their choice. All of which would seamlessly integrate with the social platform. 
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    ItsDeCiaItsDeCia Posts: 12member
    Has it ever occurred to FB that maybe the reason why the default apps on the phone are the most dominant is because that’s the reason we buy the phone in the first place?

One of the reasons why I buy iPhone is because of the privacy offered in Safari. You can’t get Safari on a different mobile device. So if other browsers are butt hurt because I prefer the built in browser over their offerings then that’s their problem.
    BeatsbaconstangFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    So had Facebook made a successful FB phone, I wonder what dominant apps would be on THAT one?  Hmmm....
    BeatsMicDorseyFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This is nonsense. Apple phone, Apple camera, apple photos, Apple clock, Apple notes, Apple messages, etc, are all apps that should be pre installed. These are basic functions of any phone. I shouldn’t have to choose which clock, calculator, phone keypad to use. 

If I need more functionality than basic, then I can search the App Store. Competing apps must offer something more advanced or different than existing basic apps. 
    edited July 2021 Beatsbaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 21
    baederboybaederboy Posts: 38member
    So, apparently Apple Stock app is used by more people than Apple Safari and Apple Maps apps? Since Apple Safari and Apple Maps don’t seem to have made the top 20? Yes, a highly flawed study.
    Beatsroundaboutnowbaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 21
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Funded by FaceBook
    Tomorrow a study funded by Phillip Morris will say that smoking is good for you.
    Beatslkruppwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I'm so sick of these lazy hangers-on trying to usurp Apple's ownership of Apple's highly integrated hardware-software-services platform, one that Apple created and funded all on their own. Since there appears to be no way to effectively slap down the whiners, I propose that the alpha whiners solve this "problem" the old fashioned way - by throwing money at the problem.

Here's the deal. Facebook wants it users (the compliant herd that's longing to be milked for personal info) to be able to purchase an Apple iPhone with Facebook's apps preinstalled on the phones. This is not a problem at all. All Facebook has to do is to purchase as many iPhones as needed to serve their herd, install their own apps on said phones, and then resell these phones to their herd. Nothing illegal, immoral, or even vaguely weird or underhanded going on. Buying an iPhone from Facebook should be no different than buying an iPhone from Best Buy, Micro Center, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon.

Facebook could even open brick & mortar stores to sell Facebookified iPhones to their herd. A walk-in store would afford Facebook with a perfect opportunity to collect DNA samples, fingerprints, height, weight, retinal scan, and a current picture of each herd member and maybe even install a tracking microchip in the user's arm. This would nicely round out Facebook's data catalog and further enrich the quality of life for each herd member. They would squeal with delight. Maybe Facebook would install a wallpaper on their Facebookified iPhones that feature a picture or a cartoon likeness (can anyone distinguish one from the other?) of their messiah, the chief Zuckersapian himself, on each phone so buyers are one step closer to full Facebook enlightenment.

As long as everything installed on the Facebookified iPhones is fully legit and performed through Apple's App Store, what is the problem? This model closely mirrors what's already being done to support iPhone and iPad sales through telecommunication carriers to provide cellular connectivity services. Why not expand the model to support other "services" like  sharing all of your personal information with the world, i.e., Facebook and Google, entertainment services like Spotify and Disney, or services that teach your kids how to bankrupt the family's finances (preinstalled catalog of games with in-app games purchases with parental consent turned off by default). 

I'm kidding about some of this, but on the main point of allowing third parties to sell Apple devices preloaded with fully legitimate apps that are targeted for specific third party service providers who are catering to a specific audience, I'm very serious. Apple sells more phones, people who want a "tailored" experience out of the gate can get it, and maybe some of these lawsuits go away. What are the downsides?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    jungmark said:
    This is nonsense. Apple phone, Apple camera, apple photos, Apple clock, Apple notes, Apple messages, etc, are all apps that should be pre installed. These are basic functions of any phone. I shouldn’t have to choose which clock, calculator, phone keypad to use. 

If I need more functionality than basic, then I can search the App Store. Competing apps must offer something more advanced or different than existing basic apps. 
    Those other apps offer the ease of having your info monetized by them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I have never understood the mentality that supports the idea that a mobile device, computer, whatever, should ship with no software installed at all and that the end user should spend time selecting every single app they want to use... to be ‘fair’? How about carrying this idea to its ridiculous end? No device ships with an operating system installed and the user chooses which OS to install. Of course this would require completely standardized hardware so the OS of the user’s choosing would work. Don’t think the minds that thought up this crap don't have such plans in the works. The idea of a completely homogenous, compliant, compatible, features standard, boring world of tech is their cup of tea. Fucking bureaucrats.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    In other news: GM only sells Chevys at the Chevrolet dealerships.And owners always   drive them! 
    uckerberg will NEVER get it right
    watto_cobra