'M2' chip to arrive in early 2022 in a colorful MacBook Air, says leaker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    A license is hardly a shield against data loss anyway.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Reasonably predicable M1X would come before M2.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If that leak did not come from Apple than it is as good as DOA.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 29
    teknishnteknishn Posts: 38member
    This makes little sense to me.  The current Air is smokin fast and a smokin good deal.  We are literally months late on the new MBP rigs (grr)… and where is the 27” iMac replacement (double grr).  Air already got the apple SoC treatment, let’s get everything else sorted before we talk about another Air. Please and thanks!
    Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    red oak said:
    Hard to believe Apple would launch M1X MacBook Pros and then 6 mo later launch M2 MacBook Airs 

Does not add up 
    Makes total sense.  Each year Apple starts with the next M series.  First the Mn for mobile and low-end Macs then the MnXs later in the year for the higher end.  Rinse and repeat.
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    saarek said:
    lkrupp said:
    I wonder where the iMac sits in Apple’s plans for the M series. The 24” iMac is nice an all but at least some of us are trying to wait for a larger form similar to the current 27” model. I fully realize that laptops are Apple’s main revenue source when it comes to Macs so I’m a little worried about the iMac line. I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 27” and I’m now two macOS generations behind (Big Sur, Monterey). Yes, I know, my iMac still works wonderfully and still does what I need it to but it is falling behind in features and security improvements. I have no intention of buying the current Intel iMac. Maybe the Mac Mini is in my future, especially if my eight year old iMac starts acting up.

Patiently waiting... for now.
    Assuming you’ve got an SSD in your iMac just use PatchedSur. It works a treat with full driver and software update support, no need to fall behind.
    Is that the same as this?
    (I use this on VMs of earlier Mac OSs as I want them to stay as created. Can’t stop Big Sur this way.)

Open Terminal on the Mac in question and copy /paste this, then your Mac’s password when asked …  that’s it.   

1. sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
    2. sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Mojave”

edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Just look at statements from TSMC regarding the next node—not ready until next year.  With each node shrink, the time between  nodes has been pushed out a bit farther.  Until now it hasn’t been too apairent because they still fell within the window of iPhone releases.  It’s only going to get worse as they try to move to a sub-5nm process.  Completely dovetails into this rumor about the M2 in 2022.  I’ve been suggesting that for a while now.

As far as releasing the X variant at the same time as the main M chip?  Um what can I say but I think you might be underestimating the time and effort that goes into designing and proofing these chips.  It’s not just a matter of throwing more cores into a mask and calling it a day.  You’ve got to completely rework the data and power channels. Find room for the caches, minimize latency and ensure that nothing gets so close that you introduce quantum effect flaws.  And then there’s the months of proofing to make sure you’ve not unintentionally mugged the design or the implementation of the multiple masks needed for the build.  Sure if they has twice the number of people working on these things they might be able to do more, or they might just put out crap too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Biggest question for me is whether M2 will be more powerful than the M1X. That would feel pretty awkward after possibly having bought a M1X pro computer and a short time thereafter it’s outperformed by a new consumer laptop. But I guess in the first couple of generations we might see big strides, especially in graphics.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    MacPro said:
    saarek said:
    lkrupp said:
    I wonder where the iMac sits in Apple’s plans for the M series. The 24” iMac is nice an all but at least some of us are trying to wait for a larger form similar to the current 27” model. I fully realize that laptops are Apple’s main revenue source when it comes to Macs so I’m a little worried about the iMac line. I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 27” and I’m now two macOS generations behind (Big Sur, Monterey). Yes, I know, my iMac still works wonderfully and still does what I need it to but it is falling behind in features and security improvements. I have no intention of buying the current Intel iMac. Maybe the Mac Mini is in my future, especially if my eight year old iMac starts acting up.

Patiently waiting... for now.
    Assuming you’ve got an SSD in your iMac just use PatchedSur. It works a treat with full driver and software update support, no need to fall behind.
    Is that the same as this?
    (I use this on VMs of earlier Mac OSs as I want them to stay as created. Can’t stop Big Sur this way.)

Open Terminal on the Mac in question and copy /paste this, then your Mac’s password when asked …  that’s it.   

1. sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
    2. sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Mojave”

Sorry, for a relative amateur compared to most in this forum, can you explain what this achieves? Surely not a way to upgrade a Mac that has been officially cut off from the latest OS? If so, I am trying it as I am stuck on Catalina!
    watto_cobra