Favorite Pricey mac furniture, drool...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    brad probably also wants a freakin chair like this one:

not sure if that is a chair or a prop from a david cronenberg movie

dang, freakin dvorak typing nerd boys are all the same....he probably uses something like images from that disney movie aladdin (or worse, the beauty and the beast) for his iChat icon...

trying to incur the wraith of the angry administrator

g
  • Reply 22 of 50
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    How in the heck does one SIT in one of those things?

Mac Guru
  • Reply 23 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Looks like a plain piece of crap dude. Like $149 worth, tops.

\

Yah, that's not the one I described. I like simple, table-like desks, although at least in the photos the finish on that one looks poor and the drawer and face seem misaligned. So mebbe quality is not so good.

Personally, I use a glass table from Ikea (200 Canadian) as my desk. It was cheap, has a huge surface and it's made out of real materials, glass and steel. Is honest basically. I HATE plastic and synthetic veneers or cheap paper wood look-a-like veneers. Yuck yuck yuck, real wood veneers are different, they actually look good if done right and are sometimes more practical than solid wood -- plys warp less. MDF? Yuck again, unless it's unfinished, then it can look interesting.

Not to worry boys, I'm gonna go to the office to do a little work, I'll browse a couple of mags when I'm there and should have a linkiago for you tonight.

And, it looks like the attached starbucks may be gettin airport! If the TO area Starbucks' start getting airport they're gonna suck the money right out of me. I'm gonna need a way to "borrow" time on other people's airport networks.

edit:

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell the story of my chair. It's one of those ObusForme knee tilter's with the integrated head rest that makes its silhoutte look like a giant bowling pin. They're about 500-700 smackers (canadian) in these parts so no way would I buy one for that money. I found this ugly drab grey one for 100 bucks at an office place clearance. It was missing a little steel plate at the bottom that made one of the levers flop around and do nothing. I inspected it, and found that, hey, that looks simple enough, I can fix it. So I bought it and took it home, cut up a couple of pieces of quarter inch gatorback aluminium and bolted them to the correct holes and voila, the chair was back to perfect working order. I suppose I should paint them, but you can't really see them under the chair. More importantly the grey looks UGLY. I need to sew up a seat cover, I'm thinking black terry cloth, just to be different, but the GF never has time to do it. She'll make time once this thing is uglying up her house though, hehehe...
  • Reply 24 of 50
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
  • Reply 25 of 50
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It does look nice in that setup pic, Shawn... a bit overpriced though. And by "a bit" I mean "grossly".

gelding, you need to get a job at a catalogue or something man, love the description.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Brittany Computer Desk- $799 at Crate and Barrel. Drool.

This is the desk I have.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Guru

How in the heck does one SIT in one of those things?

Actually, this kind of chair is surprisingly comportable! Though, I haven't sat in this one specifically.

What you do is bend your knees so that the pad in front is actually pushing against your shins. Kind of like this. Please excuse the crudity of the diagram.

Get it?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    We had a chair similar, but it had no arms or backrest... you kneel down on it and have a pad under your butt... suprisingly comfy.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    nerds!!!!

g
  • Reply 30 of 50
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    "nerds!!!!"

i thought that was a given ....
  • Reply 31 of 50
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Is this stuff actually mac funiture, or is it just the fact that any self respecting designer isn't about to photo the desk with a PC on it?

As for the bed desk, you could avert disaster by tying a tether to that iMac's handle. As for the Crate and Barrell desk, it brings a conclusion to the forefront about SPJ. . . . He's going to college, will major in MolBio and go to med school.

There are connotations here that I'll leave up to the other readers.

As for me, at home I just have a big, matte black, bauhausian table that all my computer junk sits on. $149 and looks good enough for me. THe glass is cool, but when it's covered in junk is loses its coolness value.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

This looks good...

Mmmm.

Do you turn the peddles with your feet to power your Mac?
  • Reply 33 of 50
    brad:

stickman drawing scares thegelding.....

how about actual photos of pseudo-models using chair...

all i get from this is a new understanding of how people who work in cubicles must have no love or respect for gravity....

of course gravity is a bitch whore who makes us look like melting candles of ourselves when we get old....

g
  • Reply 34 of 50
    now this has got to be a chair just for the chicks out there....

g
  • Reply 35 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    And geldings too!
  • Reply 36 of 50
    All these chairs seem nice.. but what about one with some serious Juice!

I present the Electric chair!

I wonder if there is a USB hub or fire wire built in?

do I smell toast?

flick.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Some of these contraptions are hideous-looking, in my opinion. I don't know about any of you, but aesthetics is just as important to me as ergonomics, and oftentimes they are linked, literally and psychologically. I would not feel comfortable in some of these ugly chairs or death trap nightmares. Here are some comfortable office spaces:

All from dwr.com.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Is this stuff actually mac funiture, or is it just the fact that any self respecting designer isn't about to photo the desk with a PC on it?

As for the bed desk, you could avert disaster by tying a tether to that iMac's handle. As for the Crate and Barrell desk, it brings a conclusion to the forefront about SPJ. . . . He's going to college, will major in MolBio and go to med school.

There are connotations here that I'll leave up to the other readers.

As for me, at home I just have a big, matte black, bauhausian table that all my computer junk sits on. $149 and looks good enough for me. THe glass is cool, but when it's covered in junk is loses its coolness value.

Close! College, English major, and Law School.

(you might not want to check out my setup pic.)
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by bradbower

All from dwr.com.

I get that catalog!
  • Reply 40 of 50
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bradbower

[/url].

thats really nice. my desk is built into the wall, i painted the beige formica a really calm neutral light grey, so it really compliments the iMac.

I use a bar stool too, as a chair, its easy to come and go, and lean against the wall. Its nice.