Apple partners with the BBC to bring '9/11: Inside the President's War Room'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple announces a new documentary, "9/11: Inside the President's War Room" to be released on BBC One and Apple TV+ in September.

'9/11: Inside the President's War Room' covers the attack 20 years later
'9/11: Inside the President's War Room' covers the attack 20 years later

The documentary special will tell the story of 9/11 through the eyes of the presidency in the 12 hours after the attack. It will be narrated by Jeff Daniels and provide unique insight into the dilemmas of those involved through first-hand accounts.

Testimony will be included from:
  • President George W. Bush
  • Vice President Dick Cheney
  • Condoleezza Rice (national security advisor)
  • Colin Powell (secretary of state)
  • Andy Card (chief of staff)
  • Dan Bartlett (director of communications)
  • Rear Admiral Deborah Loewer (head of Situation Room)
  • Josh Bolten (deputy chief of staff)
  • Ari Fleischer (press secretary)
  • Karl Rove (senior advisor to the president)
  • Mary Matalin (advisor to Cheney)
  • Karen Hughes (special advisor to the president)
  • Mike Morrell (CIA briefer)
  • Ted Olson (solicitor general)
  • Colonel Mark Tillman (Air Force One pilot)
  • David Wilkinson and Tony Zotto (Secret Service)
There will also be over 200 never-before-seen photographs of the events throughout the day as Bush and Cheney dealt with the tragedy. Filmed archive footage will also be included in the documentary.

"9/11: Inside the President's War Room" hails from an award-winning team including Grierson and Royal Television Society Award-winning director Adam Wishart, Emmy Award-winning creative producer Simon Finch and BAFTA Award-winning executive producer Neil Grant.

The special documentary will air on BBC One and Apple TV+ in September. Customers can subscribe to Apple TV+ for $4.99 per month or via any tier of Apple One.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Kind of pathetic that British company had to document an event that happen in the US. I suspect most of those people White House at that time did not want to speak with anyone in the US media these days.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    maestro64 said:
    Kind of pathetic that British company had to document an event that happen in the US. I suspect most of those people White House at that time did not want to speak with anyone in the US media these days.
    This year is the twentieth anniversary of that event. It's sort of odd you would make a remark that seems to assume this will be the only coverage of the subject this year. I suspect there will be a lot of documentaries and specials on this, including many which will be produced by American media companies and include interviews with many or all of those listed above.
    Japheybeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I have a hard time believing that much of the insight will be unique. Everyone knows by now what happened: the Bush administration initially emphasized that terrorists were an unconventional threat that had to be countered with unconventional means, but the White House still ended up choosing conventional military invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq as the primary response to 9/11. 
    cornchipbaconstangmcdavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Step 1) Ignore the advice of the previous administration to keep a laser focus on Osama bin Laden
    Step 2) Kill hundreds of thousands of civilians in the wrong country and reap amazing oil profits

We don't need to watch it. We lived it.
    baconstangdjames4242muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 21
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    maestro64 said:
    Are you forgetting the dozens of documentaries that already exist? Or assuming that this will be the only new one to air on the 20th anniversary? It’s not really pathetic at all, and you will have plenty of options to choose from in what will likely be an entire week of remembrance. Plus, it may actually offer a fresh point of view from the outside perspective of America’s closest ally. Or, maybe it won’t. The point is, it’s not really that big of a deal that’s it’s from the BBC. 
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Appleish said:
    Step 1) Ignore the advice of the previous administration to keep a laser focus on Osama bin Laden
    Step 2) Kill hundreds of thousands of civilians in the wrong country and reap amazing oil profits

That was what I was going to say. I remember the evil that happened AFTER the attack. I don’t want to relive it.
    Appleishmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    "The documentary special will tell the story of 9/11 through the eyes of the presidency in the 12 hours after the attack."

Not before, not the years after…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    I guess they'll do a deep dive into "My Pet Goat"?
    Appleishdjames4242patchythepiratefastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 21
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    Appleish said:

Step 1 is actually a falsehood. If you had bothered to read the books and watched the documentaries on the run up to 9/11 you would have found out that the Clinton administration ignored the OBL threat almost wholesale, as did Bush Senior after the Gulf War. The mistakes were many but own no way solely the responsibility of the Bush Junior administration... the ignorance of it by all prior administrations is plain to see with proper hindsight.

Step 2 is bang on. "Why Iraq?" is beyond me other than Bush Junior felt he had to "finish" Bush Senior's Gulf War is the worst reason in living memory. Never has the expression "better the devil you know than the one you don't know" been more apt and much of the world continues to pay the price for this folly today. The waste of life and treasure on Afghanistan is also a complete disaster that was easily foreseen if anyone had bothered to look at Russian history in the country.

But neither of these are relevant to the Apple TV / BBC documentary... me, I'll be interested to watch it to see what "spin" will be made of the events through the "20 years later" lens.
    sdw2001beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple should produce some conspiracy documentaries. People will flock to Apple TV+ in the millions.

Yes I understand the potential negatives but the platform should not be trapped to an agenda/political view/religion. Just get as many subs as possible.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Appleish said:

Step 0 for you is ignore Clinton’s massive failures with OBL and lack of response to previous AQ attacks.  He was offered OBL in 1996 and turned it down.  
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sdw2001 said:
    Appleish said:

Step 0 for you is ignore Clinton’s massive failures with OBL and lack of response to previous AQ attacks.  He was offered OBL in 1996 and turned it down.  
    Blame blame blame.

11/09 didn't happen on Clinton's watch
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Appleish said:

C’mon, you don’t still think it was about that imminently-downsized petrochem industry do you? Look what else changed across the region. What ideology governs the Middle East these days?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Should have been called “The day they hit us back”
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Naiyas said:
    Appleish said:

The waste of life and treasure on Afghanistan is also a complete disaster that was easily foreseen if anyone had bothered to look at Russian history in the country.
    They knew the history, they created it. I still look fondly at the pictures of the Mujahideen meeting Ronnie Reagan in the White House to receive help destabilising the Soviet occupation. Once that was done the power vacuum let the Taliban rush in. Standard US foreign policy; 

1) Target state for democratic colonisation
    2) Back/create militant insurrection
    3) Condemn the victorious dictatorship 
    4) Use trade sanctions/civil war/direct military intervention to ‘liberate’ the ‘evil’ state and install a democratic puppet government
    5) Repeat until 100% (currently 65%) of the global population has been colonised

In the case of China, we skipped step 2.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Beats said:
    Apple should produce some conspiracy documentaries. People will flock to Apple TV+ in the millions.

Yes I understand the potential negatives but the platform should not be trapped to an agenda/political view/religion. Just get as many subs as possible.
    Thank fuck you're not in charge at anything with regard to Apple.
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    maestro64 said:
    Right, because nobody in the US has documented anything regarding 9/11 for the past twenty years. 🙄
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Jeff Daniels was also in the tv miniseries The Looming Tower about events leading up to 9/11, which was quite good. Recommended.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Jeff Daniels was also in the tv miniseries The Looming Tower about events leading up to 9/11, which was quite good. Recommended.
    On Hulu, yes? I always wondered if it was any good. I will take this recommendation, thanks. 

Edit: Bonus! Wrenn Schmidt is in it. Margo Madison is my favorite character on For All Mankind. 
    edited July 2021 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Japhey said:
    On Hulu, yes? I always wondered if it was any good. I will take this recommendation, thanks. 

Edit: Bonus! Wrenn Schmidt is in it. Margo Madison is my favorite character on For All Mankind. 
    It's quite good and definitely worth the time if you're into the subject matter. Maybe up there with Homeland if that's your jam.
    watto_cobra