Apple ad spot highlights Ping iPhone capabilities of Apple Watch

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has shared a new ad spot highlighting how an Apple Watch could help users find a misplaced iPhone -- even if it's literally lost in a haystack.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The short ad features a local rancher and his dog driving down a country road. When they arrive at a haystack, the rancher uses his Apple Watch to ping his iPhone, which is hidden within the pile of hay.

"An iPhone that's lost is easily found. Relax, it's iPhone + Apple Watch," Apple wrote in the video's description.

The ad is a riff on a "needle in a haystack." It features country song "Searching (For Someone Like You)" by Kitty Wells.

Apple highlights features of its products routinely via ad spots. Typically, videos focus on new features, however. The ability to ping an iPhone from an Apple Watch has existed since the wearable was released.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    If it was possible to wear out the ping feature my wife would have long ago. It’s one of her most used features in the watch. She easily uses it 5 or 6 times a day. She loves it and it saves so much time. 
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Love it! Apple ads are always enjoyable to watch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 83member
    PRO TIP:
    To make your iPhones light flash too,  hold down the icon on the watch! 
    (You are welcome!)
    auxiosagan_studentGeorgeBMacdewmecornchipDogpersonfred1stompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I had this happen to me except with a Canadian twist. We had a huge snow storm a few years back and I was shovelling to get the car out. My phone fell out of my jacket pocket at some point and then unknowingly shovelled it into snow bank. About a block after getting into the car I noticed that my phone was not with me. Pulled back into the driveway and then followed the pinging into the snow that had been flung into the yard. Absolutely love the watch and this tiny little feature.  
    GeorgeBMacOfercornchipstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm using this little feature more and more:

As I use my watch more and more I've been using my phone less and less.   So, when I need it, the phone is "somewhere else" --- and the ping helps me to find it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I don't need this feature as my Apple Watch has its own phone built in.
    lkruppGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    I don't need this feature as my Apple Watch has its own phone built in.
    Let me know how video conferencing (potentially with screen sharing) works out for you.
    SpitbathGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    My dad is a rancher and I'd like to point out that his phone would most likely have been run over by a tractor and completely destroyed in this scenario. 
    comcastsuckswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Any commercial with a dog is a win.
    DogpersonGeorgeBMacmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I've used that Find My iPhone feature for far longer than I care to admit. That included the flashing LED bit.

I've suggested to Apple Feedback the option of having just the LED flash, with no audible alert. I've woken my GF up a few times getting ready for work in the wee hours. The phone chimes and she responds with out fail 'Lose your phone again?'

It's only like 25% of the time, but it annoys me, her more, LOL. And in iOS 15, I think there's an option to have the Watch automatically alert you when you get too far from it. More than once I've left the house and realized I left the phone behind. So that feature will be welcome, assuming it doesn't need a new Watch or phone.
    watto_cobra