NFL looks for new Sunday Ticket deal, Apple may be in early talks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    pairof9pairof9 Posts: 74member
    davgreg said:
    The NFL is a heavily diluted brand and the price keeps going up for a more and more diluted product.

To be honest, I am tired of subsidizing the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. I do not watch Pro sports and a big chunk of your TV bill is subsidizing them - like it or not.

I watch a few College FB and BB games in a year but otherwise have little to no use for sports TV.

I would gladly do PPV for the games I want to watch but this is nothing many of us care about.
    You certainly have your opinion to claim, but sports viewing is a huge money-maker that isn't going down anytime soon. From TV packages to advertising to licensing to merchandising to gambling, billions pour in for sports broadcasting, and the NFL is the current champ (at least in the US). Look no further than fantasy football services and the incredible growth of participants over the last 10 years to see why the NFL has continued to prosper...people w/ little-to-no knowledge of football love playing it! That kind of "interactive" participation makes the actual watching of teams much less important as the players involved...which means every team in the league has value and interest. It's a proverbial "lightning in a bottle" that the NFL didn't create (or even endorse at first), but certainly has enriched itself through.

Bottom line is the NFL will get their price...billions are sitting on the table! 
  • Reply 22 of 22
    IF Apple pursues this.......advertising will happen. And that is why they will be able to offer the service for free.

And Apple will make lots of money.

The current networks charge around $500K per 30 second commercial. With Apple's ability to reach a worldwide audience I believe they could push that to $750K-$1 million range.  I feel like they would only get the local spots so you are looking at around 20 spots per game.  That would come to $15-$20 million per game.

My final guess would be $5-$5.5 billion in revenue. Possibly much more if they get playoff games.