iPad mini 6 set for fall launch, bigger M1 iMac on the way

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2021
A refreshed iPad mini with an updated design is reportedly arriving in the fall of 2021, and the 24-inch iMac may be joined by a larger model that is also powered by Apple Silicon.

Apple is rumored to be revamping the iPad mini with quite a few changes, chiefly including thinner bezels and the removal of the Home button. The updated sixth-generation model was previously rumored to be arriving before the end of the year, but it may launch as soon as this fall according to one report.

In his weekly "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman claims the iPad mini "should be a go" for launch in the fall. In what is billed to be the "biggest redesign in the nine-year history" of the device, Gurman's sources claim it will be similar to the alterations made to the iPad Air.

Leaked schematics have pointed to the iPad mini having the same footprint as the current model, with only a 3mm difference between the two. The Lightning port is thought to have been switched for USB-C, the speakers are said to be improved, and Touch ID will remain in the form of a power button sensor.

The iPad mini isn't the only product on Apple's mind, Gurman continued. Alongside the refreshed 24-inch iMac, Apple is preparing a second iMac model that will use Apple Silicon.

The new model will be a larger version, which will apparently be intended to replace the current 27-inch iMac, though it could have an even bigger screen. Rather than the M1, the iMac may use the rumored M1X chip, or the M2.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I hope so! It’s my favorite Apple product and my Mini 4 is due for an update. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraArchStanton
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Mark G. Has not a very good reputation see also the latest WWDC predictions …so I take this with a lot of doubt…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 807member
    I will believe it, when if and when it is announced by Apple!  I do not think it will happen!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Makes a lot of sense for an M1X in the 14” and 16” MBP and the larger iMac. Looking forward to seeing the final size of the screen. I’m guessing max 32”, 29-30” very reasonable, and 27” with a smaller overall footprint is also possible. I’m sure it will be a solid machine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    What happened to the standalone Apple monitor that AI rumoured last year was in the works? I need some for my Mac Minis.
    TheObannonFiletokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    I came in to see people complain about larger iMacs using the same CPU, then saw the article go against the title and say it won’t be the M1. As no one but Apple knows their numbering scheme, can we go with ASi for Apple Silicon Macs?
    TheObannonFilewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 809member
    Go for it Apple put the M1 chip in the new mini this fall.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Been waiting for new iPad mini, it was rumoured for last year.

Cash waiting now !
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I came in to see people complain about larger iMacs using the same CPU, then saw the article go against the title and say it won’t be the M1. As no one but Apple knows their numbering scheme, can we go with ASi for Apple Silicon Macs?
    ‘People’ have no fricking clue what the M1, M1X, or M2 is or will be. They just assume a higher number will be better. I myself intend to wait for the M4Z or it’s a no go. /s
    edited July 2021 Fidonet127watto_cobraArchStanton
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Regarding nomenclature, I think Apple M series will follow Apple A series pretty closely. M2 = replacement for M1. M1X across the board in Pro devices. M1Z in Mac Pro with CPU and GPU core options. (Or, M2Z if it’s another year. Or they will just step out of A and Z and just list specs). We shall see.
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Regarding nomenclature, I think Apple M series will follow Apple A series pretty closely. M2 = replacement for M1. M1X across the board in Pro devices. M1Z in Mac Pro with CPU and GPU core options. (Or, M2Z if it’s another year. Or they will just step out of A and Z and just list specs). We shall see.
    Made sense with the Aseries across a group of similar power devices I can't see Apple sticking with this approach. Like OS's they are all based on a Darwin Core OS but there is value in have distinct phone, pad, watch, tv OSs and MacOS each with a user target.  SOC's are the same it would be cleaner clearer to have a number of families with user targets.  

I mean assuming A stays then will there still be AX now M is targeting the same users. I think Apple will have a new name X,Z,.... etc for each SOC they'll want to take a different direction over time. even if each SOC is built with the same cores as the others much like they already have S, W, H, T and U.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    This.

Adding... IMO, unless they launch a new MacBook, any new this fall *M1* Macs would feel dated.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    mattinoz said:
    Made sense with the Aseries across a group of similar power devices I can't see Apple sticking with this approach. Like OS's they are all based on a Darwin Core OS but there is value in have distinct phone, pad, watch, tv OSs and MacOS each with a user target.  SOC's are the same it would be cleaner clearer to have a number of families with user targets.  

I mean assuming A stays then will there still be AX now M is targeting the same users. I think Apple will have a new name X,Z,.... etc for each SOC they'll want to take a different direction over time. even if each SOC is built with the same cores as the others much like they already have S, W, H, T and U.
    Apple isn't marketing Apple Silicon to other customers (like Intel) so they don't need to have a plethora of families, designations, ...

The new iMacs use an M1 chip,  The new iPads use an M1 chip. These are not the same. They don't need to further distinguish them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    So long as the new iMacs get a high core count (16+) then we are good on the cpu front. No reason to limit the thermal envelope in s desktop. 

Would also love to see a real power solution over the old school brick-on-the-floor  even if it’s a brick on the outlet. 

And no chin on the larger model please. 

iMac Pro? Or will the “m1x” not be “pro” enough? 

5.5 - 6k resolution would cap off something great. 

Expecting 64 GB ram to be the limit, which is ok, but would love to power through after effects with 128 gb or more. Hopefully Apple doesn’t crank the price on those to unreachable levels for creative pros. 

Glad to hear about the mini getting some love. I think it will sell really well, even though the pro is my personal go to. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    mattinoz said:

Apple isn't marketing Apple Silicon to other customers (like Intel) so they don't need to have a plethora of families, designations, ...

The new iMacs use an M1 chip,  The new iPads use an M1 chip. These are not the same. They don't need to further distinguish them.
    I think you'll find all M's are the same chip just different bins from testing. 

Plethora 3 is hardly a Plethora and frankly Apple Markets everything to customers they are just savvy enough to know some customers don't care so don't need to know to buy, they know some do and will look at the spec sheet. 

As I said 3 or 5 if you add the A and S but 3 to hit the Mac sweet spots (and we know Apple loves to put names on sweet spots). 
    S - watch screens below 2 inch glancing tasks
    A - Screen below 2K res short tasks
    M - Screens below 5K res longer running tasks
    Z? - Screens below 8K? res all day tasks
    X? - What every we can get out of this generation for $x. Days long task, just Run till it stops

Making the last 2 Msomething ties them to the M both in terms of features and comparison. Making them have their own name like they have there own chip(s) frees them of that burden. I could see the last 2 using a new Performance cores that might not make as much sense in the lighter devices. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Mark G. Has not a very good reputation see also the latest WWDC predictions …so I take this with a lot of doubt…
    Actually, he has one of the highest correct percentages out there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    So I guess this means we are saying goodbye to the headphone jack too. I guess It’s not Courage If you still want it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 20
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    mattinoz said:
    mattinoz said:

I think you'll find all M's are the same chip just different bins from testing. 
    I think there are at least differences in the speeds they are run at, and I believe there are differences in enabled capabilities as a result of testing — for Intel that would have been marketed as a different chips. There is simply no need for Apple to do that since they are all for internal use — Intel does it to set price levels — and all that (almost all) customers care to know is that it's very fast; I don't see anyone complaining that their iMac is using the same processor as their iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Hunter13Hunter13 Posts: 14member
    If these rumors are true, it will be the perfect iPad for me. 

I can’t wait!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I've got a mini 5 and like it a lot. Even an M1 processor might not be enough to get me to switch. Now an M1 chip and a flat side case — Apple take my money!