Apple issues third developer betas for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15 [u: public be...

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2021
Apple is now on the third generation of betas for its milestone operating systems, providing developers with new builds of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, and tvOS 15.

The betas are downloadable via the Apple Developer Center, with updates usually provided as over-the-air updates on enrolled devices. While a public beta release is normally offered via the Apple Beta Software Program website, end users will have to wait until July before Apple releases the first public version.

The second round of betas landed on June 24, while the first became available on June 7, shortly after the WWDC 2021 keynote.

iOS 15 introduces enhancements to Messages and FaceTime, new Focus modes, on-device Live Text OCR, a digital ID in Wallet, updated Weather and Maps apps, and other changes.

On iPadOS 15, Apple updated the multitasking functionality, as well as adding home screen widget support, system-wide Quick Note, the Translate app, and major changes to Swift Playgrounds to enable app development on iPad as well as App Store submissions.

On watchOS 8, the Fitness app gains Tai Chi and Pilates workouts, the Sleep app tracks respiratory rates, Photos adds a mosaic layout and memories, and Messages introduces cursor control with the Digital Crown and GIF search.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Apple released a second round of betas for public testers on Friday.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    not a fan of the new safari at all

they should allow to choose an upper/lower address bar position 
  • Reply 2 of 4
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    kkqd1337 said:

I hate it too. I instinctively reach for the top every single time. After 14 years of doing something a certain way, I find it counterintuitive and awkward. And the tab switcher? The space between that and the app switcher is so minute that it’s 50/50 that I correctly find the one I meant to use. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    kkqd1337 said:

Totally agree. I fee; like I’ll never get used to it, unfortunately.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    App switcher is faster than last public beta. 

You can give permission for Shortcuts to automatically send messages for you. In iOS 14, you had to hit send in iMessage after Shortcuts filled out what to send. 
    edited July 2021