Apple attorneys threaten UK market exit if court orders 'unacceptable' patent fees

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    mcdave said:
    The may have to leave the UK market to set an example and cool the current wave of attacks. What would be the cost of not leaving?

I don’t know. Everyone on forums seem to agree that Apple should leave every country that attacks them. Seems like a good plan!
    /s

The cost of not leaving? Not sure what you mean but leaving means it leaves the market open for knockoffs and patent thieves like Huawei and Samsung to take over the market Apple spend decades and billions of dollars inventing.
    Two things you should chew on:

https://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2020/article_0005.html

"For the third consecutive year, China-based telecoms giant Huawei Technologies, with 4,411 published PCT applications, was the top corporate filer in 2019" 

https://inf.news/en/economy/e92b707602685f6b4b2b7a2f4103edb4.html

"As early as 2016, the licensing registration information published by the State Intellectual Property Office at that time showed that in 2015, Huawei licensed 769 patents to Apple, and Apple licensed 98 patents to Huawei" 
    Those facts don't fit the narrative.

• Reply 82 of 108
    seanj said:
    seanj said:
    Apple would not be the first to leave the UK.   Many international financial institutions have already beat them to it and headed across the channel.

The UK intended itself to become more business friendly by leaving the EU.   But it appears they are becoming less so.
    Not true, what hallucinogens are you taking?

I'm defintiely not taking the  hallucinogenic Brexit propaganda.   JP Morgan Chase is latest to announce their exit from the London financial markets.
    So you’re the person who reads The New European! Maybe you should try a real newspaper. JP Morgan is considering relating the EU business it rights into the EU, it’s not exiting the London market of which the EU is just a small fraction.
    But don’t let facts spoil your political narrative.

The New European?   Never heard of it.
    From Reuters though:

PARIS, June 29 (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron inaugurated JPMorgan's (JPM.N) new trading hub in Paris on Tuesday, as France pitches for more banking jobs and tries to lure finance workers looking to leave London after Brexit.

Banks are spending billions of dollars beefing up their European Union operations post-Brexit to avoid disruption to some of their activities.

But Paris remains at the vanguard of attempts to relocate clearing of euro derivatives from London to the EU after Britain's "Big Bang" liberalisation of financial rules in the 1980s drained EU financial capitals of such activity and staff.

JPMorgan will house the new Paris trading hub in a seven-storey building a stone's throw away from the Louvre museum
    -----------------------------------

LONDON/PARIS, May 12 (Reuters) - Investment banks are shifting more rainmakers out of London to financial centres across the European Union, accelerating the pace of moves after the pandemic and uncertainty over Britain’s access to the bloc slowed relocations.

Morgan Stanley (MS.N), Barclays (BARC.L) and Goldman Sachs (GS.N) are among those moving senior bankers, according to sources at the lenders, as European regulators push banks to better staff their EU offices and travel restrictions ease. Local hiring has also increased.

edited July 2021
  • Reply 83 of 108
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    seanj said:
    seanj said:
    Apple would not be the first to leave the UK.   Many international financial institutions have already beat them to it and headed across the channel.

The UK intended itself to become more business friendly by leaving the EU.   But it appears they are becoming less so.

I'm defintiely not taking the  hallucinogenic Brexit propaganda.   JP Morgan Chase is latest to announce their exit from the London financial markets.
    So you’re the person who reads The New European! Maybe you should try a real newspaper. JP Morgan is considering relating the EU business it rights into the EU, it’s not exiting the London market of which the EU is just a small fraction.
    What about this?

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2021/04/16/610159.htm

I think it is safe to say the Golden Age of the City is over. 
    GeorgeBMackillroy
  • Reply 84 of 108
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    avon b7 said:
    seanj said:
    seanj said:

What about this?

Good.  Screw them all.
  • Reply 85 of 108
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    avon b7 said:
    seanj said:
    seanj said:

What about this?

Well you clearly have never worked in the City, as I did for over a decade, otherwise you’d have spotted the numerous errors in this shoddy piece of journalism.
  • Reply 86 of 108
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    seanj said:
    seanj said:

The New European?   Never heard of it.
    From Reuters though:

PARIS, June 29 (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron inaugurated JPMorgan's (JPM.N) new trading hub in Paris on Tuesday, as France pitches for more banking jobs and tries to lure finance workers looking to leave London after Brexit.

Banks are spending billions of dollars beefing up their European Union operations post-Brexit to avoid disruption to some of their activities.

But Paris remains at the vanguard of attempts to relocate clearing of euro derivatives from London to the EU after Britain's "Big Bang" liberalisation of financial rules in the 1980s drained EU financial capitals of such activity and staff.

JPMorgan will house the new Paris trading hub in a seven-storey building a stone's throw away from the Louvre museum
    -----------------------------------

LONDON/PARIS, May 12 (Reuters) - Investment banks are shifting more rainmakers out of London to financial centres across the European Union, accelerating the pace of moves after the pandemic and uncertainty over Britain’s access to the bloc slowed relocations.

Morgan Stanley (MS.N), Barclays (BARC.L) and Goldman Sachs (GS.N) are among those moving senior bankers, according to sources at the lenders, as European regulators push banks to better staff their EU offices and travel restrictions ease. Local hiring has also increased.

Yes they’ve been opening or increasing the front office operations in the EU, but the real business is still done in London, despite what these anonymous sources that are quoted say. Many EU nations depend on the London markets to raise finance for their spending, so much as the EU Commissars would love to restrict access it would ultimately just produce more instability within the bloc.
  • Reply 87 of 108
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    dysamoria said:
    mcdave said:
    The may have to leave the UK market to set an example and cool the current wave of attacks. What would be the cost of not leaving?
    “Set an example”... you really want things to look bad for Apple, don’t you? Yeah, let’s have corporations bully entire countries into having things the way corporations want. That is always great for humanity... 🙄
    Read the article. Apple was responding to the judge’s baiting comments, they’re not the bullies here.
    killroy
  • Reply 88 of 108
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:
    seanj said:
    seanj said:

What about this?

Good.  Screw them all.
    Yeah! Get rid of the only UK business sector making money. Then they can eat each other & switch from a destination for refugees to a source.
  • Reply 89 of 108
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    seanj said:
    avon b7 said:
    seanj said:
    seanj said:

What about this?

Well you clearly have never worked in the City, as I did for over a decade, otherwise you’d have spotted the numerous errors in this shoddy piece of journalism.
    You are correct in that I have never worked in the City yet I have not been able to find a single article stating that Brexit has been good for it.

Quite the opposite in fact. To the tune of billions in lost business. Thousands in lost jobs and no reference whatsoever to the prospect of the situation getting better.

Please point me to a 'non-shoddy' piece that tells a different story. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 90 of 108
    mcdave said:
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:
    seanj said:
    seanj said:

What about this?

Good.  Screw them all.
    Yeah! Get rid of the only UK business sector making money. 
    That sure sounds like a well sourced fact.
  • Reply 91 of 108

Oh Dear George!!,

Let me remind you that. Its a US CORP suing another US CORP in UK courts as they did in Texas! So no need for all the UK bashing :) Please ask apple why they chose to infringe in the first place? How many times have apple sued samsung and the reverse? This stuff is happening all the time in the tech world. Intel have had to pay just about everyone for their shady behaviour. Nothing to do with the 'Limeys.' who by the way pay more than anyone else for apple products.

I do think the UK should only be pursuint of damages incurred in UK markets for patent infringement. But yes they clearly have not said they did not do it!

Anyway I am very sure you are too busy to reply to this working two jobs living the American dream so you can afford your medical bills! Only a matter of time before a big one drops on the matt!

Just also thought I'd mention as a dual US/UK citizen born if FL that you speak 'ENGLISH' and the Limeys beat the Vietnamesse in 1945-46 before handing it back to the French where as the US lost, so please climb down off the horsey :) Google is your friend my friend. 

To any nice US people reading this (I do love the US) and I am glad USA is running the world and not China!

Have a blessed Day :) x
  • Reply 92 of 108

Oh Dear George!!,

Let me remind you that. Its a US CORP suing another US CORP in UK courts as they did in Texas! So no need for all the UK bashing :) Please ask apple why they chose to infringe in the first place? How many times have apple sued samsung and the reverse? This stuff is happening all the time in the tech world. Intel have had to pay just about everyone for their shady behaviour. Nothing to do with the 'Limeys.' who by the way pay more than anyone else for apple products.

I do think the UK should only be pursuint of damages incurred in UK markets for patent infringement. But yes they clearly have not said they did not do it!

Anyway I am very sure you are too busy to reply to this working two jobs living the American dream so you can afford your medical bills! Only a matter of time before a big one drops on the matt!

Just also thought I'd mention as a dual US/UK citizen born if FL that you speak 'ENGLISH' and the Limeys beat the Vietnamesse in 1945-46 before handing it back to the French where as the US lost, so please climb down off the horsey :) Google is your friend my friend. 

To any nice US people reading this (I do love the US) and I am glad USA is running the world and not China!

First, it was a UK court.
    Second, the question was about whether Apple should leave the UK rather than suffer the onorous penalties being imposed by that court..

Pointing out that Apple would not be the first to leave is not UK bashing (although they deserve it for being so foolish) but the reality brought on by their foolish Brexit.

• Reply 93 of 108
    n2itivguy said:
    Beats said:
    mcdave said:

I don’t know. Everyone on forums seem to agree that Apple should leave every country that attacks them. Seems like a good plan!
    /s

The cost of not leaving? Not sure what you mean but leaving means it leaves the market open for knockoffs and patent thieves like Huawei and Samsung to take over the market Apple spend decades and billions of dollars inventing.
    Samsung and Huawei are knockoffs and patent thieves? The case clearly proves who the patent thief is. Are you being sarcastic? Apple is literally being tried for infringing on patents, and that too not cosmetic patents like rounded edges. Would definitely like to see Apple pull out of UK. 
    The case hasn’t proven anything, making everything else you’ve stated worthless not even consider. How hard is it to see that Apple isn’t the infringer if the products that infringed _weren’t even made by them and are products used in many, many, MANY other products? I mean, should a patent troll sue _you_ for using an iPhone or Android device that has the same technology in it because you’re now somehow infringing on the patent?! 🙄 Stinkin’ use your head here. A child could, should and would see how stupid this patent troll garbage is. 
    Maybe you should learn to read articles before commenting? "In June, a High Court judge ruled that Apple had infringed two of the patents, and therefore Apple should pay fees." The issue is not about whether Apple is a patent thief. It has been proven. The issue is about how much it should be fined. If Apple wanted $40 from Samsung for trivial patents, then it should not be a big problem for it accepting less than $5 for technical patents without which some functions are hampered? A thief cannot threaten the courts. If it says I will not sell in UK, I do not think the issue will be resolved. It will be made to pay through its nose. The courts could care less if Apple closes its business world wide to escape the penalties. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 94 of 108
    n2itivguy said:
    Marvin said:
    crowley said:
    Marvin said:

If the courts allowed every patent owner to do the same, the costs would eventually amount to far more than the cost of the entire product, which makes no sense.
    Why not?  IP certainly has value, I don't see why it makes no sense for it to have more value than the assembly cost of the physical product.  For a technology product that's a composite of so many hardware and software elements and operating in an integrated network of assorted standards, the iPhone is very exposed to patents.  They'll just have to raise the price to accommodate the licensing.
    Going forward they can raise the prices but not in retrospect. To allow a single company with a couple of patents to wipe out nearly all of a company's net profit in a region for a decade is crazy. There should be a time limit applied at least in retrospect such as no royalties 5 years or more back, 20% royalties 4 years back, 40% 3, 60% 2, 80% 1 and 100% going forward and they can decide if they agree to the terms.

Making a company pay full royalty rates they didn't agree to and didn't apply to their products at the time of sale is not a fair policy. An established business could operate for decades and some random patent troll emerges and bankrupts the company overnight over some trivial patents. One of their patents is for switching between 3G/4G and the slow 2G network and covers some basic algorithm to determine when to switch. That's not worth $7b and no company would agree to pay those rates, which is why Intel and Qualcomm didn't. Apple shouldn't then have to cover this when they only used chips made by those other companies.

Patent infringement should be applied to the companies who make the infringing components, that's Intel and Qualcomm in this case and patent owners shouldn't be allowed to apply their own made-up royalty rates retroactively that weren't agreed to by the infringing companies. What's to stop them saying $20 per device and then it's over $35b, that's a completely unworkable way to do business.
    They infringed on patents that too not trivial design patents but necessary technological patents, they are paying the price. It is not only Apple that does research, every other company does it too and it costs them money. Using those technologies without paying licensing fees is thievary, whichever way you look at it. It wanted $40 dollars for five frivolous patents. https://www.slashgear.com/apple-demands-sky-high-samsung-patent-licensing-fee-11320242/. The five patents in question concern certain features around how unified search operates, slide-to-unlock, how phone numbers can be dialed by pressing them, auto-complete, and data sync. They got it coming. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and they want to run away. Lol!
    Again: NOT proven, and _Apple didn’t make the technology that’s being stated as being infringing on the said patents_. Just… smh. 

Hey, you — kid using that graphing calculator! Yeah, you owe me xx$₽¥€ because the one diode in there you had absolutely nothing to do with making, manufacturing and such (accusatory and not yet proven) infringes on something I didn’t have anything to do with either, but somehow was able to buy a (possibly generically written) patent we can now claim is ours. And for extra bullying, what you owe is all only calculated in an assumed/made up today’s amounts vs yester-year’s amounts applicable to any fees that may’ve been owed back then and appropriately adjusted through to present. Plus, all your life years are belong to us! Nyah! /s
    Read the article again. "In June, a High Court judge ruled that Apple had infringed two of the patents, and therefore Apple should pay fees."
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 95 of 108

Oh Dear George!!,

First, it was a UK court.
    Second, the question was about whether Apple should leave the UK rather than suffer the onorous penalties being imposed by that court..

Pointing out that Apple would not be the first to leave is not UK bashing (although they deserve it for being so foolish) but the reality brought on by their foolish Brexit.

Firstly George, 

A US company (apple) stole a patent from another US company and sold it's stolen IP to UK markets, so they took them to court. If I did the same to you, you could seek compensation from me in UK courts. This is fair. What perhaps is questionable is whether UK supreme court has the jurisdiction to enforce this patent infringement for worldwide markets. But International law is a bit of a grey area, because we don't have an International court. 

Englsih Common Law is the basis for all (fair and safe) western societies including US Courts, Canada, Australia, NZ. This is not, USA vs UK. The UK Supreme court is seperate from UK Gov and UK people. All the people from the UK did was pay 30% more for apple products than people in the US and now are threatened by apple because they don't want to pay the money they more than likely owe this US company with the patent.

Apple threatened to leave before in Norway and backed down. I love how Americans like yourself are so pro Independence but when we decide to leave the corrupt EU commision we are labelled 'foolish'. Time will ofcourse tell, but so far Brexit is going just fine, we are aove 2.5% inflation atm above the expectactions of the bank of england. 

By the way the EU is currently taking appealing a court decision against apple for 15bn over unpaid taxes. We will have to see the outcome of Apple but I doubt they will leave if they can make 5bn back in 4 years and have been avoiding tax thru ireland for aslong as they have been here. 

It's not the fault of Brexit, UK gov or the  people it's apple stealing end of story. 
  • Reply 96 of 108
    Englsih Common Law is the basis for all (fair and safe) western societies including US Courts, Canada, Australia, NZ. 
    Bit of a kick in the teeth there for non-English speaking western countries that primarily use codified civil law; are they unfair and/or unsafe?   :D
  • Reply 97 of 108
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    dysamoria said:
    killroy said:
    If the UK market becomes too toxic then leaving it may not be a bad thing. Apple is a for profit business and if the market condition isn’t profitable whats the point of been on it? Besides is not like the UK market is as big as the EU market.
    The EU market is also getting toxic.
    Stopping corporations from ruling the world, destroying our environment, and dictating terms to entire nations is “toxic”, by you...?

No body but the EU is doing the dictating.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    killroy said:
    dysamoria said:
    killroy said:
    If the UK market becomes too toxic then leaving it may not be a bad thing. Apple is a for profit business and if the market condition isn’t profitable whats the point of been on it? Besides is not like the UK market is as big as the EU market.
    Stopping corporations from ruling the world, destroying our environment, and dictating terms to entire nations is “toxic”, by you...?

Yes, that's what he meant by dictating terms.  It's precisely why the EU was set up, to integrate Europe under increasingly common policies and principles of citizenship.  And it better enables them to do the other things he mentions, stopping corporations from ruling the world and destroying the environment.

Pretty good, right?
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 99 of 108
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    crowley said:
    killroy said:
    dysamoria said:
    killroy said:

Yes, that's what he meant by dictating terms.  It's precisely why the EU was set up, to integrate Europe under increasingly common policies and principles of citizenship.  And it better enables them to do the other things he mentions, stopping corporations from ruling the world and destroying the environment.

Pretty good, right?

crowley said:
    killroy said:
    dysamoria said:
    killroy said:

Pretty good, right?

Not when it supports one corporation over another using baseless motives.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    killroy said:
    crowley said:
    killroy said:
    dysamoria said:
    killroy said:

Pretty good, right?

crowley said:
    killroy said:
    dysamoria said:
    killroy said:

Pretty good, right?

Not when it supports one corporation over another using baseless motives.
    You realise this thread is about a patent dispute in a UK court, right?  What support are you referring to?