Apple's MagSafe Battery Pack has more capacity than it seems - here's why

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    maltz said:

But seriously, recommending Apple's over the (little bit thicker) Anker seems like a really odd choice.  
    Well, unless you're just deciding on thickness...
    The Anker battery pack is HUGE. More than twice as thick than the iPhone I think. The MagSafe Battery Pack appears to be slightly thicker than a MagSafe wallet, which means it is rather thin overall. For a 2Wh difference between the packs and 15W charging vs 7.5W, the MagSafe Battery Pack is the clear winner, price aside. You get what you pay for.

Not to mention software perks like lock screen widget, battery widget, and pass through charging.

We didn't recommend the Apple product based on the logo. Promise. :wink: 

NO wireless charging battery pack should be recommended.  Wireless charging losses are just too high to be even remotely acceptable given that the entire purpose of an external battery pack is to compensate for an already inherently compromised design that doesn't include a quick-change battery as a part of the design of the phone itself, and would be utterly unnecessary if I could still do what I did back in the flip phone days and have several primary batteries charged and ready to quickly swap.  I virtually never plugged in the phone itself, I just swapped batteries.  Charge time was about 3 seconds from 0-full, with no charging losses.

But with today's idiotic reality of phone batteries that take half an hour and pulling glue tabs to swap, the only sane approach to being away from AC too long is a USB battery pack.  Avoid wireless packs like the insanity they are.  Buying a wireless charging pack that has to have literally double the necessary capacity to compensate for losses is completely nuts.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    IPhone 12 Pro Max + Nomad’s Rugged Case + Apple’s MagSafe Battery Pack = Perfect together.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 23 of 24
    BrandonwBrandonw Posts: 17member
    s.metcalf said:
    But who carries their phone around (outside at least) without a case?  These devices are way too expensive to risk dropping onto pavement without protection.

I suppose if you buy AppleCare+ and you’re rich enough to be able to buy a new phone on the spot or don’t care about the excess, then you mightn’t care.  Booking service at Apple can take a week or two sometimes as well, so there’s a huge inconvenience factor to deal with regardless.  My phone just took a hard drop onto tiling in the bathroom and without a good quality case it would’ve broken.

I’m pretty sure Apple only bothers with these batteries and many of their other accessories because they’re able to manufacture them for peanuts and sell them for huge markups. No
    I don’t use a case and have apple care plus. Dropped my 12 pro max on a concrete pool deck and it bounced 5 or 6 times, dented and scratched the stainless surround but no glass damage. Did a text service through the apple support app that took 5 minutes, express replacement for $99 and had a new phone the following afternoon. 

I like my phone without a case, and am willing to spend the money to replace if something happens. Not everyone is the same but that’s why we have options.