M1 16-inch MacBook Pro mistakenly listed by Apple Germany

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2021
Apple Germany's online description for the current 16-inch MacBook Pro describes it as having an Apple Silicon M1 processor.

MacBook Pro
MacBook Pro

In a very specific set of circumstances, Apple can now be seen to be referring to an M1 version of the 16-inch MacBook Pro. It's describing the currently-available Intel-based model, so it is a labelling error rather than a reveal of a new product.

According to Flo's Weblog, a reader in Germany was using the Apple Store app and looking for the 16-inch MacBook Pro. Having found it, and chosen a configuration, he then used the app's share extension to send the link as a message to a friend.

Apple Messages resolves links so that recipients can see a preview of what is being sent to them. And in this case, the preview included the words, in German, "Now with the new Apple M1 chip...".

The same text does not appear when attempting to share MacBook Pro configurations from the Apple Store app in other territories.

It translates as
It translates as "Now with the new Apple M1 chip." Source: Flo's Blog

Apple has not indicated when the 16-inch MacBook Pro will be updated. However, Apple is into the second year of its two-year transition from Intel to Apple Silicon, and there are persistent rumors about when the 16-inch model will move to M1.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    So we aren't getting an "M1X"? 
    ubernautdarkvader
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ubernautubernaut Posts: 27member
    dk49 said:
    doesn't mean it won't be a beefier version.
    eriamjhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Just a coding error/issue relating to the 13” MBP is my educated guess. 

I do think Apple might call the new beefier chip M1 though, just an M1 with different core counts. 

Or they might just go to M2. These are all marketing labels and make no difference to performance of course.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple techies, being what they are, will have an absolute hissy fit if the next Mac uses an M1. The M1 is already yesterday’s news, obsolete, deficient, underpowered and overpriced... and it only been around less than a year. 
    digitolStrangeDaysscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple techies, being what they are, will have an absolute hissy fit if the next Mac uses an M1. The M1 is already yesterday’s news, obsolete, deficient, underpowered and overpriced... and it only been around less than a year. 
    We’ll, yes and no. The biggest drawbacks are memory and graphics. It’s perfect for a MacBook Air, imac or lower level MacBook Pro, but for people who want more power it does have legitimate limitations. 

Seeing how Apple said they would replace the entire Mac lineup in 2 years it’s not unreasonable to expect a more powerful version sometime soon. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdarkvaderneo-techkurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    lkrupp said:
    Apple techies, being what they are, will have an absolute hissy fit if the next Mac uses an M1.
    If they make a cheaper entry model with M1, that would be great.

$1799, M1, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4x TB4 ports.

That would make a great software development machine, which is Apple's biggest pro customer base. The more expensive models can have the extra GPU cores and RAM options, M1x or M1 Pro.

This website error pulling info from the wrong product doesn't indicate that they'll use M1 on the 16" though.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    dk49 said:
    So you didn’t read the article?
    digitolmuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 8 of 27
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    We’ll, yes and no. The biggest drawbacks are memory and graphics. It’s perfect for a MacBook Air, imac or lower level MacBook Pro, but for people who want more power it does have legitimate limitations. 

Seeing how Apple said they would replace the entire Mac lineup in 2 years it’s not unreasonable to expect a more powerful version sometime soon. 

Except they're going to hit the same wall everybody else will. 

The reality is that the M1 is fine for a toy like an iPad, but it's too limited for anything more than a low-end general purpose computer.  16GB RAM in 2021 is a sad joke.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    darkvader said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

The reality is that the M1 is fine for a toy like an iPad, but it's too limited for anything more than a low-end general purpose computer.  16GB RAM in 2021 is a sad joke.

Keep your day job genius. What you know about the M series chips are about as much as your knowledge to post thoughtfully. 
    The M series upside is unknown. It may already be near its ceiling but that is extremely unlikely for a large successful company to put big money into development of tech that has near future limitation. In the near future the M series and ARM may be what most personal computing is based off of, or something else may come along to trump it.. But you already know that, right? being the top level thinker your post reveals.
    rotateleftbyteStrangeDaysqwerty52baconstangscstrrfwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 10 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    darkvader said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

From what I’ve read, the M1 outperforms what you would expect for 16GB RAM, but I agree with your larger point - for true ‘pro’’ level work, they need more RAM capacity and video capabilities, which is exactly why I’m an ‘M2’ in the near future. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    This leak may be Margarethe Vestager’s only way of getting Tim Apple’s attention.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    darkvader said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

Errrnnnt. The M1 outperforms every single MacBook prior. They weren’t toys, and neither is the iPad. Read the many reviews. Here’s one to start (and finish) with:

https://daringfireball.net/2020/11/the_m1_macs

“Apple’s new Macs based on the M1 system on a chip, the first Macs based on Apple Silicon, are that sort of mind-bending better. To acknowledge how good they are — and I am here to tell you they are astonishingly good — you must acknowledge that certain longstanding assumptions about how computers should be designed, about what makes a better computer better, about what good computers need, are wrong.

Some people will remain in denial about what Apple has accomplished here for years. That’s how it goes.”

He also talks about why they have less RAM:

“But I think it’s also the case that for most tasks for most people, these M1 Macs need less RAM to perform equivalently to, if not better than, their Intel-based counterparts. This sounds like bullshit but it’s not. It’s the result of a hardware system architecture whose design aligns with Apple’s software architecture. …

“Broadly speaking, this is a significant reason why M1 Macs are more efficient with less RAM than Intel Macs. It’s the combination of software and hardware designed together. You don’t have to take my word for this — this, in a nutshell, helps explain why iPhones run rings around even flagship Android phones, even though iPhones have significantly less RAM. … 

“I was skeptical about “only” having 16 GB of RAM in a new MacBook. But having spent a week deliberately trying to tax this system’s memory limit, I’m a believer. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one of these M1 MacBooks today — at least the 16 GB configuration I’m testing — with the expectation of using it merrily for years to come.”

edited July 2021 qwerty52ArchStantonscstrrfkurai_kagewatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 13 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    MplsP said:
    darkvader said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

From what I’ve read, the M1 outperforms what you would expect for 16GB RAM, but I agree with your larger point - for true ‘pro’’ level work, they need more RAM capacity and video capabilities, which is exactly why I’m an ‘M2’ in the near future. 
    There is no such thing as a definition of what a “true pro” user is and what they need. But per Apple (Craig F), the biggest user base of pro users is software developers. Developers aren’t 4K video editors and aren’t hitting any walls with the M1’s 16GB design.

Do I expect more in the future? Of course. Is there a problem with it? Not at all. Especially for developers. If I needed a new machine today and this is what I got, I wouldn’t be worried about it  
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    lkrupp said:

It was obsolete, deficient, underpowered, and overpriced when it was released. I mean, seriously, a processor released in 2020 that couldn't address more than 16GB RAM?  A processor released in 2020 that could only handle two Thunderbolt/USB ports?  A processor that can't even handle a dedicated GPU so you get nothing but its underpowered integrated graphics?  It's fine for a toy like the iPad, but it doesn't belong in a computer.

Apple shouldn't have used that junk in last year's computers.  It definitely doesn't belong in computers that haven't even been released yet.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    darkvader said:

Keep your day job genius. What you know about the M series chips are about as much as your knowledge to post thoughtfully. 
    The M series upside is unknown. It may already be near its ceiling but that is extremely unlikely for a large successful company to put big money into development of tech that has near future limitation. In the near future the M series and ARM may be what most personal computing is based off of, or something else may come along to trump it.. But you already know that, right? being the top level thinker your post reveals.

I'll definitely keep my day job which I assure you is not being one of those script-following board-swappers Apple likes to call "geniuses".

The M series future is somewhat known.  Apple will hit the same wall everybody else will.  TSMC, who actually make the chips since Apple has zero manufacturing capability, have already announced their plan to make 3nm and 2nm chips in the future.  IBM claims they're already making 2nm, we'll see if they can get any volume.  But 2nm is getting close to the end of the line, and we'll see if even TSMC manages to push below that, 1nm will probably happen but there's a decent chance that sub-nanometer won't even be workable.

I'm skeptical that the Acorn RISC Machine architcture is the future of computing.  Apple's tried chip design and RISC before, then the PowerPC hit a wall.  Could this time be different?  Maybe, but remember ARM is almost as old as the 68k, it's an older architecture than PowerPC.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    kipowskykipowsky Posts: 31member
    Why is this still the headliner on AppleInsider? It’s been days and it was just a typo, a ”labelling error”. There has to other real top news, no?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    darkvader said:
    lkrupp said:

It was obsolete, deficient, underpowered, and overpriced when it was released. I mean, seriously, a processor released in 2020 that couldn't address more than 16GB RAM?  A processor released in 2020 that could only handle two Thunderbolt/USB ports?  A processor that can't even handle a dedicated GPU so you get nothing but its underpowered integrated graphics?  It's fine for a toy like the iPad, but it doesn't belong in a computer.

Apple shouldn't have used that junk in last year's computers.  It definitely doesn't belong in computers that haven't even been released yet.
    What does it matter if the processor can handle a dedicated GPU or more than two Thunderbolt ports when you're only shipping it in computers that don't have a dedicated GPU and only have two Thunderbolt ports?

The RAM argument I have slightly more time for.  But by all accounts the computers Apple are shipping with M1 do not suffer from RAM constraints.

But overpriced?  You're gonna have to let me know how you figure that a processor that doesn't have a price tag is overpriced.
    fastasleepscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    dk49 said:

So now rumors == official product announcements?  

Sure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27

oh, ffs. You could at least found a novel way to say "graphical toy",

Tell us, what exactly does it mean to be able to "handle" a discrete GPU?  And is that different to a "dedicated" one? 

Tell us in terms of, say, mem copies, bus traversals and cycles why a "dedicated" is better.  

Or don't bother, and instead figure out why everyone else is running towards Apple's way of doing things and playing catch-up to Apple's "obsolete" approach.
    fastasleepscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    darkvader said:
    darkvader said:

I'll definitely keep my day job which I assure you is not being one of those script-following board-swappers Apple likes to call "geniuses".

The M series future is somewhat known.  Apple will hit the same wall everybody else will.  TSMC, who actually make the chips since Apple has zero manufacturing capability, have already announced their plan to make 3nm and 2nm chips in the future.  IBM claims they're already making 2nm, we'll see if they can get any volume.  But 2nm is getting close to the end of the line, and we'll see if even TSMC manages to push below that, 1nm will probably happen but there's a decent chance that sub-nanometer won't even be workable.

I'm skeptical that the Acorn RISC Machine architcture is the future of computing.  Apple's tried chip design and RISC before, then the PowerPC hit a wall.  Could this time be different?  Maybe, but remember ARM is almost as old as the 68k, it's an older architecture than PowerPC.

Wherever you work I feel sorry for the outlook of that company.  You obviously like to play EE for Apple or TSMC online yet it is obviously you know less than nothing. Notice how you chage to "somewhat" known now. Fyi, everyone can see that and, while they are already were scoffing, just laugh at your typed non think blathering. And anyone like you (and other screen names you use) who would claim a gen 1 of a chip (now)"has a 'somewhat' known ceiling" is laughable. 
    fastasleepscstrrfh2pwatto_cobra