Apple employees pen second letter asking for work-from-home options

Posted:
in General Discussion
Some Apple staffers are continuing to push for more flexible work arrangements and remote options by sending a new internal letter to company executives.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The letter, which was signed by hundreds of employees and obtained by Vox, urges Apple's leadership to rethink the decision to have corporate employee work from offices for at least three days a week. It was addressed to Apple CEO Tim Cook, Apple's human resources chief Deidre O'Brien, and related team members.

As an alternative to the current hybrid work model proposed by Apple, the letter suggests that Apple conduct "pilot agreements" that would allow employees to work from home full time with specific restrictions.

"With COVID-19 numbers rising again around the world, vaccines proving less effective against the Delta variant, and the long-term effects of infection not well understood, it is too early to force those with concerns to come back to the office," the letter reportedly says.

According to Vox, the letter was posted to an internal Apple Slack channel dedicated to discussing remote work. The channel has about 6,000 members.

This is the second letter this summer that Apple employees have sent to executives asking for more flexible work options. Despite employee pleas, Apple has taken a hardline stance on in-office work -- leading some staffers to threaten quitting their jobs.

In addition to the internal letters, Apple employees also sent out an informal survey asking other staff members about their work preferences. About 90% of respondents to the survey said they want more flexible remote work options.

Apple is set to begin holding in-person work hours starting in September, with employees required to work in an office on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Per that schedule, Wednesday and Friday can be work-from-home days.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Work In Office days is at full pay… work from home days is at half pay .. I don’t see why Apple should pay them full rate to work from home ( as a choice ) lots of benefits to an employee working from home.
    DnykjpRfC6fnBs
  • Reply 2 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    An internal letter promptly circulated. 

If I was Apple Management I would want to keep a closer eye on the work performance of this mob.
    lkruppDnykjpRfC6fnBs
  • Reply 3 of 22
    delslowdelslow Posts: 4member
    Those jobs they are threatening to quit?  There is a line of hungry kids ready to take those positions from you. I’m not sure if they think they have some sort of leverage other than “we’lol whine to VoX and give you bad publicity.”  Fuck em. 
    lkruppjrcopperzeus423
  • Reply 4 of 22
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    entropys said:

If I was Apple Management I would want to keep a closer eye on the work performance of this mob.
    Plus it cuts down on the leaks 
  • Reply 5 of 22
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    delslow said:
    Those jobs they are threatening to quit?  There is a line of hungry kids ready to take those positions from you. I’m not sure if they think they have some sort of leverage other than “we’lol whine to VoX and give you bad publicity.”  Fuck em. 
    I don't know about you but I don't want a bunch of "hungry kids" taking over things at Apple. Apple quality has been suffering for long enough. It takes more than someone that knows how to program and design to deliver quality software and hardware. 
  • Reply 6 of 22
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    emig647 said:
    It takes more than someone that knows how to program and design to deliver quality software and hardware. 
    Yeah, something like that requires the skill to stay at the office, no matter what. Quality is built by proper use of the punch clock.

/s

emig647
  • Reply 7 of 22

Apple employees pen second letter asking for work-from-home options

What has happened to Apple?  Steve Jobs would have made sure there wasn’t a first letter.  He would have had their stuff thrown out of the office and job terminated on just a rumor.
    JWSC
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Apple is set to begin holding in-person work hours starting in September, with employees required to work in an office on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Per that schedule, Wednesday and Friday can be work-from-home days.
    For staff that was previously required to be in the office 5 days/week, WFH 2 days a week seems pretty fair. Hopefully by September the rate of new Covid infections has dropped back down significantly.

My office is phasing in return to office with 3 days/week WFH for the time being. I'd be happy to get 2 days/week WFH permanently. Heck, I'd even be happy with 1 day/week WFH.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Let the Apple employees who are unhappy find jobs with other companies. They are among the most spoiled people on the planet. Give them a deadline to agree to the current plan or resign. 
    zeus423DnykjpRfC6fnBs
  • Reply 10 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    3 out of 5 days you work in the office. The other two days you can work from home. There’s your pilot program. If you don’t like it, please return your key badges and thank you for your contribution. 
    zeus423
  • Reply 11 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    emig647 said:
    delslow said:
    I don't know about you but I don't want a bunch of "hungry kids" taking over things at Apple. Apple quality has been suffering for long enough. It takes more than someone that knows how to program and design to deliver quality software and hardware. 
    Right, because Apple's leadership will suddenly be panic-hiring shitty programmers and designers who are going to "take over". Get real.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    I'm not too worried for those future ex-employees. Everywhere I look there are help wanted signs.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    delslow said:
    Can you imaging their future interviews… Why did you leave Apple? They wanted me to work in the office. 
    DnykjpRfC6fnBs
  • Reply 14 of 22
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    The way I read the grievance is that Apple employees would prefer to live further from Cupertino in order to keep cost of living in check, which is not adequately covered by their pay.  That makes a lot of sense with California rent being so outrageous.  As such, all the condemnation toward Apple employees in this discussion thread is not only unwarranted, but down right nasty.  I suggest that everyone subjecting Apple employees to a text-based stoning ought to move to Cupertino and pay a years' worth of rent, then tell us your opinion.
    dee_deemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 22
    entropys said:

They don’t watch what they are doing, they will be crying as they are on the outside looking in. Never understand why employees think they know much more than management. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 112member
    applguy said:
    delslow said:
    Can you imaging their future interviews… Why did you leave Apple? They wanted me to work in the office. 
    You (and most of the people posting) are obviously not software developers.  95% of the jobs offered now are remote.  I've only had one company say to me I had to be in the office, and so I declined the interview.  If you're in Hardware or Marketing you're pretty much screwed but for Software Development you can pretty much pick your job these days.  Not only can I make more money than working at Apple, but I don't have to pay the insane price of real-estate in Cupertino.  Apple is not going to win this, and they better figure out something fast.  I've already said this, but Apple Park was a huge mistake and a vanity project, the future for software development is remote, and Apple can get on that train or be left in the dust.
    edited July 2021 IreneWchemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 22
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 112member
    entropys said:

Apple, like any other tech company, already keeps very good track of both team and individual performance.  Personally I only need to do 1 checkin per week, but my employer is well aware of my performance regardless.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple noticed an uptick in performance during the pandemic.  Hardware and Software developers typically lean towards introvert and would likely prosper in a remote setting.  Apple is likely more interested in keeping employees at the office for control reasons.  Security, and being able to light a fire under people for tight deadlines.  If you need an example of this, ya'll should read how things went during development of the first iPhone.  

https://www.wired.com/2008/01/ff-iphone/
    For those working on the iPhone, the next three months would be the most stressful of their careers. Screaming matches broke out routinely in the hallways. Engineers, frazzled from all-night coding sessions, quit, only to rejoin days later after catching up on their sleep. A product manager slammed the door to her office so hard that the handle bent and locked her in; it took colleagues more than an hour and some well-placed whacks with an aluminum bat to free her.

• Reply 18 of 22
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    People in this thread are so ungrateful. These are the people who make the products that you cherish so much. These are the people who make you all that money from your APPL stock.

They have every right to ask for a more modern way of working. Apple has every right to say no but it'll be their loss when they lose experienced people to companies offering better benefits. Apple can either compete with the rest of the market or face a recruitment/retention crisis.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 19 of 22
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Houston, we have a problem.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 79member
    dee_dee said:
    applguy said:
    delslow said:
    You (and most of the people posting) are obviously not software developers.  95% of the jobs offered now are remote.  I've only had one company say to me I had to be in the office, and so I declined the interview.  If you're in Hardware or Marketing you're pretty much screwed but for Software Development you can pretty much pick your job these days.  Not only can I make more money than working at Apple, but I don't have to pay the insane price of real-estate in Cupertino.  Apple is not going to win this, and they better figure out something fast.  I've already said this, but Apple Park was a huge mistake and a vanity project, the future for software development is remote, and Apple can get on that train or be left in the dust.

We'll see. Some if us still believe in the value and importance of face to face encounters in building creative, trusting teams in the long run. If you want to treat developers like commodities and generate commodity products, then go ahead. If you want to  create something special and be part of a team that reflects your values and goals whose work is a rewarding part of who you are, then maybe come to the office more.