Apple will fix Touch ID failing to unlock Apple Watch in a future iOS 14.7 update

Posted:
in Apple Watch
If you've discovered that you can't unlock your Apple Watch with the connected iPhone's Touch ID after the update to iOS 14.7, you're not alone -- and Apple is working on a fix.

In a new support document, Apple has noted that some customers can't unlock their Apple Watch with a Touch ID-equipped phone, like the new iPhone SE. The company doesn't give a solution to the problem in the support document, but it does provide a work-around.

The document says that a passcode entry will still work to unlock the iPhone. Apple also says that, like always, "this is required only one time, as long as you keep your Apple Watch on your wrist. If you forgot your passcode, you need to reset your Apple Watch."

This is a little more complicated and requires more drastic action if the Apple Watch has been provisioned with a Mobile Device Management profile that requires an alphanumeric password. Apparently, the iOS 14.7 update removes the ability to enter those on managed devices.

What to do if you can't enter a passcode on an Apple Watch with a MDM profile

1. Have the administrator remove the password requirement

2. Unpair and erase the Apple Watch

3. Re-sync the Apple Watch
The support document also recommends that MDM administrators defer updating supervised iPhones until the release of the software patch that will fix the issues.

It isn't yet clear when Apple will roll out the fix for the problem. It also isn't clear what percentage of users are impacted by the related bugs.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yep, iPhone 8 iOS 14.7, series 4 Watch watchOS 7.6 a no go for unlocking with Touch ID. I’m really glad I didn’t start exploratory surgery trying to resolve this, like unpairing, resetting, etc. It’s a real PITA to put everything back together after doing that.

Waiting patiently for the fix.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    The watch is also slow to unlock with a FaceID phone, and usually takes two or three tries before it unlocks. 
    ricm916leonid491caladanian
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bonobob said:
    The watch is also slow to unlock with a FaceID phone, and usually takes two or three tries before it unlocks. 
    You’re lucky! My watch unlocks after 7-8 tries (iPhone 11pro max) 
  • Reply 4 of 4
    This is not even in the top 10 reasons I don't use Touch ID or Face ID, but it's one of the reasons I'm glad I don't.

I'll have 14.7 installed in a little while, so I guess I'll find out whether this affects unlocking my watch using a passcode on my phone as well.
    edited July 2021