Apple urging retail staff to wear masks again even if they're vaccinated

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    It is amazing how we just keep repeating the insanity. We know that mask mandates and lockdowns don’t work. This is unequivocal. That is not to say masks don’t work at all, but the way we’re wearing them clearly will not be effective.  We aren’t talking about wearing an N 95 or better mask when entering a high risk environment like a medical facility or a nursing home. We’re talking about wearing a piece of cloth or paper across your face while you shop for your new AirPods. It’s not going to do anything.  
    Sure they do. It's asshole republicans who can't seem to follow simple rules that keep exacerbating this problem.

I now see plenty of businesses saying that if you're vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask, but for unvaccinated people to wear them. Are unvaccinated people going to wear masks? Not the ones that I know.
    It has nothing to do with Republicans. The data on mandated masks and lockdowns is clear.  As for the unvaccinated, who do you care?  They’re taking their own risks.  The vulnerable are largely vaccinated, so it’s not about protecting others.  
    1) It is clear. Masks and distancing work, which is why surgeons wear masks.

2) Assuming you mean "why" do I care, I care because the risk is to society as a whole, not just to people like you. You and your ilk are the reason this was an issue. You and your ilk are the reason we had to endure the lockdowns and drop in commerce for so long. You and your ilk are the reason there is a resurgence. You and your ilk through your spread of lies and spread of viruses have caused the death and destruction of countless lives.
    Surgeons don't wear masks because of airborne illnesses lol. And did you just use the phrase "you and your ilk"? Wow, so very convincing lol. You know that %40 of covid hospitalizations in England are vaccinated people, right? You know the mRNA vaccines promote variants due to narrowly focusing on spike proteins, right? Uh oh, looks like you might be one of those 'ilk' and be causing the 'death and destruction of countless lives'!

It's funny how the most arrogant and condescending people are the ones that have the biggest blind spots.
    Surgeons and nurses performing clean surgery wear disposable face masks. The purpose of face masks is thought to be two-fold: to prevent the passage of germs from the surgeon's nose and mouth into the patient's wound and to protect the surgeon's face from sprays and splashes from the patient.

How do you not know this? Although, I'm guessing you absolutely knew this until early 2020 when Orange Foolius told you masks don't help the spread of germs.
    baconstangdysamoriaronnMplsP
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    tylersdad said:
    lkrupp said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    It is amazing how we just keep repeating the insanity. We know that mask mandates and lockdowns don’t work. This is unequivocal. That is not to say masks don’t work at all, but the way we’re wearing them clearly will not be effective.  We aren’t talking about wearing an N 95 or better mask when entering a high risk environment like a medical facility or a nursing home. We’re talking about wearing a piece of cloth or paper across your face while you shop for your new AirPods. It’s not going to do anything.  
    Sure they do. It's asshole republicans who can't seem to follow simple rules that keep exacerbating this problem.

I now see plenty of businesses saying that if you're vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask, but for unvaccinated people to wear them. Are unvaccinated people going to wear masks? Not the ones that I know.
    Yep, the so-called ‘honor system’ is a joke. Someone who refuses to get vaccinated is also not going to pay attention to the honor system by wearing a mask. They see it as an excuse not to wear a mask and don't give a shit if they spread the virus. Time for vaccination passports and severe consequences if caught using a forged one. 

But on the other hand, the government is so incompetent it would be a complete mess. I got a letter from my county health department saying they had no record of me getting my second Pfizer shot. I got both shots at the same county vaccination center and have my county vaccination card with both stickers showing the dates and time of both shots. See what I mean?
    And it's the unvaccinated who are contracting severe cases, not the vaccinated. If the unvaccinated want to take their chances, let them. 

Actually, in England, vaccinated people make up %40 of covid hospitalizations.

Which is expected when using a weak mRNA vaccine that only covers one aspect of a virus (spike protein), rather than traditional vaccines that use the entire virus particle to elicit a full immune response; it's very strange that mRNA vaccines are being pushed, while natural immunity is being ignored. Is this because natural immunity is so much worse? (Of course not); is this due to desire to control, to push for vaccine passports, etc? (Seems like it).

So the Modern and Pfizer vaccines are weak despite having an efficacy rate considerably higher than the J&J vaccine. Good one.
    What are you talking about? Lol. They're all weak. J&J is not a traditional inactivated vaccine. Like the mRNA vaccines, it too focuses on triggering spike protein creation; not only does this do a poorer job of stopping infection and spread, but it also leaves open more opportunity for mutation and variance. Good one??
    OK, boomer.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison

Stop listening to Fox News and reading Qanon shit on Facebook.
    Lol. You insist on embarrassing yourself again huh? You have zero idea what you're talking about. You just posted a link that confirms exactly what I said about the way the vaccines work.

What does fox news or qanon have to do with any of this?? Are they in the room with us right now?
    Don't worry. There's help out there for you. Everything's going to be ok.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    tylersdad said:
    lkrupp said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:

Yep, the so-called ‘honor system’ is a joke. Someone who refuses to get vaccinated is also not going to pay attention to the honor system by wearing a mask. They see it as an excuse not to wear a mask and don't give a shit if they spread the virus. Time for vaccination passports and severe consequences if caught using a forged one. 

But on the other hand, the government is so incompetent it would be a complete mess. I got a letter from my county health department saying they had no record of me getting my second Pfizer shot. I got both shots at the same county vaccination center and have my county vaccination card with both stickers showing the dates and time of both shots. See what I mean?
    And it's the unvaccinated who are contracting severe cases, not the vaccinated. If the unvaccinated want to take their chances, let them. 

Which is expected when using a weak mRNA vaccine that only covers one aspect of a virus (spike protein), rather than traditional vaccines that use the entire virus particle to elicit a full immune response; it's very strange that mRNA vaccines are being pushed, while natural immunity is being ignored. Is this because natural immunity is so much worse? (Of course not); is this due to desire to control, to push for vaccine passports, etc? (Seems like it).

So the Modern and Pfizer vaccines are weak despite having an efficacy rate considerably higher than the J&J vaccine. Good one.
    What are you talking about? Lol. They're all weak. J&J is not a traditional inactivated vaccine. Like the mRNA vaccines, it too focuses on triggering spike protein creation; not only does this do a poorer job of stopping infection and spread, but it also leaves open more opportunity for mutation and variance. Good one??
    OK, boomer.

Lol. You insist on embarrassing yourself again huh? You have zero idea what you're talking about. You just posted a link that confirms exactly what I said about the way the vaccines work.

What does fox news or qanon have to do with any of this?? Are they in the room with us right now?
    I posted a comprehensive article that shows the efficacy of mRNA vaccines in comparison to the less effective alternatives. Clearly that was too much for you to understand.
    baconstangronn
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:

It has nothing to do with Republicans. The data on mandated masks and lockdowns is clear.  As for the unvaccinated, who do you care?  They’re taking their own risks.  The vulnerable are largely vaccinated, so it’s not about protecting others.  

2) Assuming you mean "why" do I care, I care because the risk is to society as a whole, not just to people like you. You and your ilk are the reason this was an issue. You and your ilk are the reason we had to endure the lockdowns and drop in commerce for so long. You and your ilk are the reason there is a resurgence. You and your ilk through your spread of lies and spread of viruses have caused the death and destruction of countless lives.
    Surgeons don't wear masks because of airborne illnesses lol. And did you just use the phrase "you and your ilk"? Wow, so very convincing lol. You know that %40 of covid hospitalizations in England are vaccinated people, right? You know the mRNA vaccines promote variants due to narrowly focusing on spike proteins, right? Uh oh, looks like you might be one of those 'ilk' and be causing the 'death and destruction of countless lives'!

It's funny how the most arrogant and condescending people are the ones that have the biggest blind spots.
    Surgeons and nurses performing clean surgery wear disposable face masks. The purpose of face masks is thought to be two-fold: to prevent the passage of germs from the surgeon's nose and mouth into the patient's wound and to protect the surgeon's face from sprays and splashes from the patient.

How do you not know this? Although, I'm guessing you absolutely knew this until early 2020 when Orange Foolius told you masks don't help the spread of germs.
    I can't tell if you're just trying to weasel your way out of clearly being wrong, of you're really this slow. Again, they do not wear them due to *airborne* viruses. You do not know what you're talking about. You need to seek help.
    tylersdad
  • Reply 45 of 78
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    tylersdad said:
    lkrupp said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:

OK, boomer.

I posted a comprehensive article that shows the efficacy of mRNA vaccines in comparison to the less effective alternatives. Clearly that was too much for you to understand.
    Not traditional inactivated vaccines. But I'm sure you knew that lol

Just a tip, when you resort to insults after being proven wrong (over and over), it comes off as a bit pathetic.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:

I can't tell if you're just trying to weasel your way out of clearly being wrong, of you're really this slow. Again, they do not wear them due to *airborne* viruses. You do not know what you're talking about. You need to seek help.
    I'll try to use smaller words and simpler sentences this time: They wear them to help prevent the spread of germs, which is why you should wear a mask during a pandemic instead of calling it a fake virus at the top of your lungs. But you and your fellow conspiracy theory spewing brethren fucked that up so now the rest of us have had to endure a solvable problem for a lot longer and with more costly results because of your ignorance and apathy.
    edited July 2021 baconstangronn
  • Reply 47 of 78
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:

I'll try to use smaller words and simpler sentences this time: They wear them to help prevent the spread of germs, which is why you should wear a mask during a pandemic instead of calling it a fake virus at the top of your lungs. But you and your fellow conspiracy theory spurring brethren fucked that up so now the rest of us have had to endure a solvable problem for a lot longer and with more costly results because of your ignorance and apathy.

Here's an upcoming problem, brought to you primarily by vaccine hesitancy, and  anti-vaxxers;

https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/20/states-are-sitting-on-millions-of-surplus-covid-19-vaccine-doses-as-expiration-dates-approach/

States are sitting on millions of surplus Covid-19 vaccine doses as expiration dates approach
    The U.S. needs to figure out how to take that surplus, and deliver it to countries in need, and do so before expiration. 

edited July 2021 Xedbaconstangdysamoriaronn
  • Reply 48 of 78
    tmay said:
    Here's an upcoming problem, brought to you primarily by vaccine hesitancy, and  anti-vaxxers;

https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/20/states-are-sitting-on-millions-of-surplus-covid-19-vaccine-doses-as-expiration-dates-approach/

States are sitting on millions of surplus Covid-19 vaccine doses as expiration dates approach
    The U.S. needs to figure out how to take that surplus, and deliver it to countries in need, and do so before expiration. 
    Telling certain people that the US vaccine supply may go to another, less (um) white country will surely encourage some to get it. LOL
    baconstangRudeBoyRudydysamoriaronn
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Xed said:
    tmay said:

Telling certain people that the US vaccine supply may go to another, less (um) white country will surely encourage some to get it. LOL
    I'm thinking, you might be right...
    Xeddysamoriaronn
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:

I'll try to use smaller words and simpler sentences this time: They wear them to help prevent the spread of germs, which is why you should wear a mask during a pandemic instead of calling it a fake virus at the top of your lungs. But you and your fellow conspiracy theory spurring brethren fucked that up so now the rest of us have had to endure a solvable problem for a lot longer and with more costly results because of your ignorance and apathy.
    Lol. What?? Now you’re saying I said things that I didn’t.. to distract from the actual points, or are you just that confused?
  • Reply 51 of 78
    tmay said:
    Xed said:
    tmay said:

Y’all sound a bit racist.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Good on AppleInsider for allowing this conversation to take place.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 53 of 78
    tmay said:
    Xed said:
    tmay said:

Not just a bit..
  • Reply 54 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tmay said:
    Xed said:
    tmay said:

Not just a bit..
    Recognising racism in others is not racist.
    tmayronn
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Found this picture that made me laugh.

foregoneconclusionXed
    mask.jpg 123.1K
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member
    Numerous studies have shown the effectiveness of masks. There are many demonstrations on YouTube showing how masks of all types dramatically impede spittle and aerosols. Masks are obligatory in many situations industry, medical fields, and laboratories for good reason. 
    https://youtu.be/0Tp0zB904Mc

A recent study in the UK showed that upgrading mask types in hospitals where nurses and doctors come into contact COVID patients had a huge effect. It’s important to note that they upgraded to the ‘correct’ type of masks, which met of a higher standard of protection than the cheaper masks mandated by Boris Johnson’s government.
    https://www.rcn.org.uk/magazines/News/uk-ffp3-masks-study-shows-they-significantly-reduce-the-risk-of-covid-19-infection-290621

Xedronn
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Alex_V said:
    Numerous studies have shown the effectiveness of masks. There are many demonstrations on YouTube showing how masks of all types dramatically impede spittle and aerosols. Masks are obligatory in many situations industry, medical fields, and laboratories for good reason. 
    https://youtu.be/0Tp0zB904Mc

A recent study in the UK showed that upgrading mask types in hospitals where nurses and doctors come into contact COVID patients had a huge effect. It’s important to note that they upgraded to the ‘correct’ type of masks, which met of a higher standard of protection than the cheaper masks mandated by Boris Johnson’s government.
    https://www.rcn.org.uk/magazines/News/uk-ffp3-masks-study-shows-they-significantly-reduce-the-risk-of-covid-19-infection-290621

There were shortages fo N95 masks during the early and middle stages of the pandemic, but they have been readily available for most of this year.

Unknown to most, China and their diaspora living around the world, bought up much of the existing personal protective gear that was available, and shipped it back to China during the initial stages of the pandemic. The U.S. attempted to do the same later, but by then, there weren't enough sources of production.

Reason enough that the rest of the world should not rely primarily on China for personal protective gear, but have multiple supply chains. Countries have also learned that they must have some internal production capability for these, as well as supply caches, all for the next pandemic.

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-ap-top-news-international-news-global-trade-virus-outbreak-bf685dcf52125be54e030834ab7062a8

Not classified but marked “for official use only,” the DHS analysis states that, while downplaying the severity of the coronavirus, China increased imports and decreased exports of medical supplies. It attempted to cover up doing so by “denying there were export restrictions and obfuscating and delaying provision of its trade data,” the analysis states.

...and at the same time, and with the encouragement of U.S. officials, the U.S. shipped PPG to China....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/us-sent-millions-of-face-masks-to-china-early-this-year-ignoring-pandemic-warning-signs/2020/04/18/aaccf54a-7ff5-11ea-8013-1b6da0e4a2b7_story.html

U.S. manufacturers shipped millions of dollars’ worth of face masks and other protective medical equipment to China in January and February with encouragement from the federal government, a Washington Post review of economic data and internal government documents has found. The move underscores the Trump administration’s failure to recognize and prepare for the growing pandemic threat.

In those two months, the value of protective masks and related items exported from the United States to China grew more than 1,000 percent compared with the same time last year — from $1.4 million to about $17.6 million, according to a Post analysis of customs categories which, according to research by Public Citizen, contain key personal protective equipment (PPE). Similarly, shipments of ventilators and protective garments jumped by triple digits.

“Instead of taking steps to prepare, they ignored the advice of one expert after another,” said Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-Tex.). “People right now, as we speak, are dying because there have been inadequate supplies of PPE.”

What were we thinking?

Profits.

Capitalism at its worst.
    edited July 2021 Alex_Vdysamoriaronn
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member
    tmay said:

There were shortages fo N95 masks during the early and middle stages of the pandemic, but they have been readily available for most of this year.

Unknown to most, China and their diaspora living around the world, bought up much of the existing personal protective gear that was available, and shipped it back to China during the initial stages of the pandemic. The U.S. attempted to do the same later, but by then, there weren't enough sources of production.

U.S. manufacturers shipped millions of dollars’ worth of face masks and other protective medical equipment to China in January and February with encouragement from the federal government, a Washington Post review of economic data and internal government documents has found. The move underscores the Trump administration’s failure to recognize and prepare for the growing pandemic threat.

What were we thinking? 
    Profits.
    Capitalism at its worst.

Thank you for your well-reasoned and substantiated comment. 

While it’s likely that China bought PPE on the open market during the early days, a few points:
    * China didn’t need to import PPE for long. They can licence products, and get them into production faster than anyone. 
    * China contained the disease pretty well. So their demand for PPE was limited. 
    * You’re right: it was foolhardy to export PPE to China when everyone could see (from Feb/Mar 2020) that this disease was on its way. 
    * The Taiwanese government did the right thing by sequestering production of PPE early on in the epidemic and banning their export. 
    Note: the masks mentioned in the UK study I posted above are N99 equivalent. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 59 of 78
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    cgWerks said:
    canucklehead said:
    Mask wearing has been proven to help reduce spread and the data can be easily seen when comparing places with and without mask mandates (along with how seriously the people take these rules).
    No, it actually can't, unless you cherry-pick. That's the problem with the science on this one. Both sides have data.

The actual controlled studies (pre-Covid) showed masks were neutral to slightly ineffective, while posing certain health risks, but they were done mostly in medical environments. That's the science. (As with about anything else, observation and theoretical studies get poo-poo'd.)

The observational studies since Covid, seem to show some effectiveness, but of course we could be looking at correlation, not causation. The theoretical studies also seem to show they *should* have an impact, but real-world and theoretical often vary.

It isn't so much that they do nothing (even a 2% improvement for cloth masks is something), but that in the grand scheme, once you factor in everything else (like air circulation, particle densities, what the threshold of infection is, etc.) they end up not mattering too much.

That's aerosol, though. If we're talking droplets, then yes they work (at least to a greater extent). But, hopefully we don't have a bunch of symptomatic people running around coughing on everyone. (I suppose that could be the case, but I've not seen it anywhere. I think even people with coughs are afraid to go out in public, even WITH a mask these days.)
    I see people coughing and sneezing plenty enough. Then there are the plague joggers huffing away on trails an sidewalks (I do not huff like these guys when I jog, so I don’t know WTH that’s about). There’re also people who don’t have “inside voices”; talking like they’re at a crowded concert, blowing enough air at you that you can feel it. These people also tend to stand too closely.

One random strong exhale can blast you with infectious particles. That’s why people are supposed to cover these potential events by wearing masks on their faces. It’s not a magical barrier; it’s just one step of “filtration”; one more step against potential exposure. There are supposed to be many steps but people can’t be bothered to engage with almost any consideration for others.
    ronnAlex_VcgWerks
  • Reply 60 of 78
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

tmay said:
    tylersdad said:
    lkrupp said:
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:

I'm a democrat, and at this stage of vaccination in the U.S., I'm all for Darwin to have his day. The only negative is that the U.S. medical system is getting pretty tired of dealing with these hospitalizations of the unvaccinated. Myself, I'm concerned about the continuing pool of mutations that the world has yet to experience.
    This is a terrible attitude. It shows complete disregard of people with weakened immune systems (like my girlfriend who has cancer). You acknowledge the threat of mutation breeding; why? Because you feel that might effect you?

Throwing our hands up in the air and saying “let people do stupid shit” is just as irresponsible an attitude as the people who can’t be bothered to contribute to the public good because they don’t like inconvenience.