HBO officially kills Apple TV Channels integration

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2021
HBO is officially ending its Apple TV Channel on July 22, prompting users to create an HBO Max account to continue using the service.

Credit: HBO
Credit: HBO

The AT&T-owned company first pulled streaming integration with Apple TV channels back in May, but it let existing users retain access to HBO content through the Apple TV app. Now, that grandfathered support appears to be ending.

According to a Reddit user, the HBO channel in the Apple TV app says that full integration for existing users will end on Thursday, July 22. "HBO is ending its channel service on July 22. After that, get HBO Max to continue watching," the message reads.

As of writing, at least one AppleInsider staff member still had access to HBO Channels, so the support revocation is likely server-side and will happen gradually.

The company was one of the first major cable networks to offer integration with Apple TV Channels. However, after the launch of its HBO Max app for Apple TV, iOS, and other platforms, HBO decided to end support.

Apple TV Channels was introduced in 2019 as a single sign-on system for watching content from third-party providers.

Although the HBO Max service is more expensive than subscribing to the network through Apple TV Channels, customers of AT&T may want to check whether they're taking advantage of the free HBO Max offer on certain plans.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    Heyyy thanks for the Reddit shoutout lol. As of right now I still have the subscription running, and it recently renewed on the 20th. Checking my subscription settings, my HBO channel sub does day it'll run until Aug. 20th. So hopefully it'll stay until then. Otherwise, I hope Apple is ready to refund me if it doesn't...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    jgreg728 said:
    Heyyy thanks for the Reddit shoutout lol. As of right now I still have the subscription running, and it recently renewed on the 20th. Checking my subscription settings, my HBO channel sub does day it'll run until Aug. 20th. So hopefully it'll stay until then. Otherwise, I hope Apple is ready to refund me if it doesn't...
    You just need to download the HBO Max  app to access your subscription. The only thing to change is HBO is removing their integration with the Apple’s TV Ap.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I am not am HBO subscriber and don't plan on it.  So humor me. Is there really anything compelling enough to stay on HBO if they want to make you run their app vs the customer friendly Apple TV integration?

Since HBO is basically giving the finger to customers who want the integrated experience instead of each separate app (I assume this breaks the Siri search integration in the Apple TV all in one solution), should customers give the finger back and just drop them?
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    (boy I hate those auto loading video popups on stories. Big time)

Bummer about channels. I liked them because they shared with my family members. HBO Max app doesn’t, you have to give them your credentials. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    chadbag said:
    I am not am HBO subscriber and don't plan on it.  So humor me. Is there really anything compelling enough to stay on HBO if they want to make you run their app vs the customer friendly Apple TV integration?

Since HBO is basically giving the finger to customers who want the integrated experience instead of each separate app (I assume this breaks the Siri search integration in the Apple TV all in one solution), should customers give the finger back and just drop them?
    This is all on Apple, for their crappy Apple TV app implementation that makes watching series shows a pain (doesn't keep track of where you left off right, doesn't automatically restart the next video right, etc). I don't understand why Apple can't get something so relatively simple right. I doubt it'd break siri search.

FWIW, I'm really like HBO. It's worth subscribing just for the show Raised by Wolves (amazing sci fi), and of course game of thrones, westworld, true detective, good movie selection, etc.
    williamlondonlkruppapplguygatorguy
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chadbag said:

If I had to cancel all of my streaming services but one, I would keep HBO max. HBO has offered some of the most compelling television ever made, long before streaming even existed. 

I don't find the Apple TV app to be customer friendly at all. In fact, I don't use it for anything other than Apple TV+.
    applguygatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    chadbag said:

This is all on Apple, for their crappy Apple TV app implementation that makes watching series shows a pain (doesn't keep track of where you left off right, doesn't automatically restart the next video right, etc). I don't understand why Apple can't get something so relatively simple right. I doubt it'd break siri search.

FWIW, I'm really like HBO. It's worth subscribing just for the show Raised by Wolves (amazing sci fi), and of course game of thrones, westworld, true detective, good movie selection, etc.
    No idea what you’re on about - the Apple TV app certainly does maintain viewing state, both in-show and in-season. HBO Channel worked flawlessly, used them for years. 

Inversely, the HBO Max app sucks eggs. The UX sucks, the promoted content mechanism sucks (hate how it plays the audio constantly despite having moved elsewhere on the screen so you can’t even see the promo but still have to listen to it), and HBO infamously broke simple scrub and rewind functionality with their non-native viewer a couple weeks ago and had to revert after the public outcry. 

This is all on HBO, who left the channels system to push their crappy app. 
    edited July 2021 lkruppanantksundaramdavenwilliamlondondysamoriaigorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Idiots. 

I don't bother to watch HBO's utterly mediocre programming anymore (despite it being free with my Comcast plan). I might have, if I was allowed to browse on AppleTV. 

(Spare me, browsing using Comcast's interface is a royal pain). 
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    chadbag said:

This is on Apple? HBO cancels it and it’s on Apple? JHFC what rock do these low IQ mopes come out from under? But great plug for the expensive HBO max — because If one with your non-think is endorsing it? I’d suspect stay away from HBO Max as a general rule. 

Channels is decent. I use a third party integrated menu but that’s not for the average user. 
    And likely what this is about is HBO looking for greater control of user and probably user data. This is a game to make money. HBO is just doing what they think will help that. No shame in that. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    chadbag said:

No idea what you’re on about - the Apple TV app certainly does maintain viewing state, both in-show and in-season. HBO Channel worked flawlessly, used them for years. 

Inversely, the HBO Max app sucks eggs. The UX sucks, the promoted content mechanism sucks (hate how it plays the audio constantly despite having moved elsewhere on the screen so you can’t even see the promo but still have to listen to it), and HBO infamously broke simple scrub and rewind functionality with their non-native viewer a couple weeks ago and had to revert after the public outcry. 

This is all on HBO, who left the channels system to push their crappy app. 
    Well, my experience is that it doesn't do a great job keeping track of things. Maybe it's from me going back and forth between the app and the Apple TV app? I think I'm also annoyed that it doesn't automatically play the next episode in the series in the Apple TV app. Not a deal breaker though by any means. Cant wait for Ted Lasso and Foundation to start.

I definitely agree about the HBO UX sucking.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    chadbag said:

This is on Apple? HBO cancels it and it’s on Apple? JHFC what rock do these low IQ mopes come out from under? But great plug for the expensive HBO max — because If one with your non-think is endorsing it? I’d suspect stay away from HBO Max as a general rule. 

Channels is decent. I use a third party integrated menu but that’s not for the average user. 
    And likely what this is about is HBO looking for greater control of user and probably user data. This is a game to make money. HBO is just doing what they think will help that. No shame in that. 
    AI forums never fail to be entertaining lol. But to your point, this being 'on Apple' probably wasn't fair.
    williamlondonArchStantonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    chadbag said:

Couldn't disagree more about the Apple TV implementation. It's much better than HBO's native app, which I rarely open.  Also...Raised By Wolves?  Really?  That show blows, which is why it got cancelled.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    igorsky said:
    chadbag said:

Couldn't disagree more about the Apple TV implementation. It's much better than HBO's native app, which I rarely open.  Also...Raised By Wolves?  Really?  That show blows, which is why it got cancelled.
    To be clear, I wasn't really comparing UIs; I much prefer Apple TVs UI to HBO, but it seems like the integration of watching HBO shows via Apple TV isn't great.

Also.. raised by wolves blows?? I'm pretty sure it's not even legal to say that publicly. And it's not cancelled, buddy. They've already started shooting season 2.

(Edited)
    2nd edit: On review, I see where I poorly communicated here; I can see why so many people thought I was talking about the implementation of Apple TV app as a whole, when my intention was to comment only on the implementation of merging content from other streaming apps. Lesson learned!
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra