Earliest (first) memory?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What's yours?

Was talking to someone the other day about this. I'm not sure how far back you can go, or how the brain/memory works, but I think it's very interesting.

Mine? My Dad was a Marine and stationed in Scotland in 1970-71. I lived their during most of that time and I remember falling down some outside wooden stairs at a house of some friends of my parents.

I took a tumble and I remember the dirt ground rushing up to meet me. I recently asked my Mom about this and she just had this look on her face like "you've got to be kidding me!". She said it was the late spring of 1970. I was born in January 1969, so I must've been around 16 months old, give or take.

Are you able to remember infancy? Anything in that first year? How does that work? From then on, I can remember just about everything: smells trigger certain houses, McCartney's "My Love" pegs an exact car trip we took to Northern Scotland and I remember my dad having a Kodak camera that came stored in a pretty yellow box that I ALWAYS got into and played with (the color, I guess).

What about you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I remember spinning around in one of my mother's barber chairs (she ran a little haircutting place a few blocks from our house in Garland). I was quite young, still in diapers but definitely walking. The awful brown/orange colors of the 70s keep that memory alive.

I also remember my brother pushing me straight into some thick dark brown shag carpet while I was on my knees playing with a Tonka truck.

Two earliest, barber shop one earlier I think.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Okay, we've got injuries in three of three now...

About 20 months old, breaking my nose by tripping and falling face first into a doorjamb. *snap* Popped the cartilage right off, my Dad pushed it back into place before the feeling came back.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    YEOOWWWCH!

Yeah, I think those early injuries/accidents must stick with us the most.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    It's hard to tell if it was a dream or not, but I remember when I was 2-3 there was this one weird day... I was running around the place I was living in at the time and by some freak chance, it was raining on half of the place and not the other. I remember stepping in and out of the rain quite clearly and running around through it, but I really wonder if this is even physically possible (I would imagine a rain gradient instead of the discrete change).

Also remember watching spiderman when I was that young and some other faint insignificant memories.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    my first memory was a pair of 4Mb chips that i paid over $80 (each!) for. what a rip off by today's terms.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    My absolute earliest memory is a pretty good one. It is so foggy that for a number of years I actually doubted whether it could have happened.

When I was about 2-2.5 my mom married my stepfather and we moved to Indiana. We lived in a trailer park for a short time until they bought a house. I had a "friend" there though at that age just about any kid you can find is your "friend." Well I had this tricycle that I was riding and he had one of those push pedal cars. I thought his car was really fast because...well it had stickers of flames on it.

He ripped off part of one of the stickers and gave it to me. I stuck it on the seat of my tricycle and by two year old reasoning we were now both really fast.

We moved from that trailer park to a house a few months later. I think during the move the tricycler was stored at my grandmother's house and I just forgot about it. We moved back to California when I was 7. Well when I was 20, I got to go back and visit the family in Indiana. I went to a shed at my grandmother's house and there was the trike with the flames on the seat.

On a side note... I still miss fireflys.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 41
    My first memory is actually kind of wierd. I remember seeing blackness and then light; there is no images or anything. It is just blackness that lasts for a long time, but not that long and then seeing light. I have told this memory to a lot of people and they think that that memory might actually be that of being being born.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    HEY!!! . . . . . all you!! Those aren't your memories . . . those are mine
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

My first memory is actually kind of wierd. I remember seeing blackness and then light; there is no images or anything. It is just blackness that lasts for a long time, but not that long and then seeing light. I have told this memory to a lot of people and they think that that memory might actually be that of being being born.

Except you were a Ceasarian
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Besides, faetoses can see light in the belly . . . suppsedly

anyway, that's a really good question to meditate on.

Right now, in a distracted state, I'd probably say:

my French Aunt asking my if I wanted more bread and jam in paris

Or in france, swimming in a large public pool and my godmother, who I had a crush on (displaced infantile preOedipal eroticism) swimming and catching me
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

It's hard to tell if it was a dream or not, but I remember when I was 2-3 there was this one weird day... I was running around the place I was living in at the time and by some freak chance, it was raining on half of the place and not the other. I remember stepping in and out of the rain quite clearly and running around through it, but I really wonder if this is even physically possible (I would imagine a rain gradient instead of the discrete change).

Isn't that from an episode of the FLinstones? when they go from Oregon to California . . .

I wonder how many of you have first memories about television?

anybody?
  • Reply 12 of 41
    ooops . . . I seem to remember having allready posted this
  • Reply 13 of 41
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Being on the playground when I was about 4 with my "girlfriend" before we moved. It maybe that I think I remember it because there's a picture of it I've seen in an old photo album. Memories are funny and we have a tendency to fill in the blanks with things that make sense. (Have you seen Memento? Good movie and really messes with what you think you know)
  • Reply 14 of 41
    I found it!!!

my first memory:

Some blurry colors and movement !!!
  • Reply 15 of 41
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Climbing up a mountain with my brother and Dad when I was 3. This was a few years after Ash Wednesday, so the trees were all black, and there was snow on the ground. If anyone here has seen Picnic at Hanging Rock, that's the mountain. Evidently I wasn't abducted by aliens and never seen again.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

my first memory was a pair of 4Mb chips that i paid over $80 (each!) for. what a rip off by today's terms.

My first memory was a 4 KO memory that my father bought for a little sharp pocket computer in the early eighteens for approximatively 500 $

More seriously, my first memory was the vision of a surgical blade, while was practiced a caesirian. This memory was so cute that it changed my life
  • Reply 17 of 41
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    A flood of memories from age 4-5 - no one memory before another - from an USAF base in Big Spring, Texas.

My dad's old car (a Volvo) and his new car (a AMC Ambassador); eating at the Burger Train (where we kids spilled food all over my dad's new car); hearing that some other kid's dad's was in Thailand (this was during the Vietnam war) and thinking how lucky he was because I didn't understand the difference between Thailand and Disneyland; dust storms; going for great walks with my Dad along a railway track that seemed to go straight into the Texas 'desert'; the searing hot dry summers (no air conditioning in our air base housing) and the red, peeling sunburn that always seemed to cover the whole of my friend's back.

Endless days of fun without any real worries.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    i remember a very large bird with very colourful plumage flying over my head.

(and yes i have read communion by whitley strieber.)
  • Reply 19 of 41
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My first official memory was on my 4th birthday. I was wearing a brand new outfit and these cute little sandals. I remember standing at the bottom of our porch steps and having my picture taken. We have that picture somewhere.

My first unofficial memory (because I'm not positive that it's genuine) is from when I was an infant. I think I remember laying face down in my crib (I know, but it was before SIDS was such a big deal) with my head turned out toward the room. I think I remember having my picture taken, or people looking at me, or something. Who knows. \
  • Reply 20 of 41
    i read somewhere that first memories involving photographs are quite common. perhaps the memory is reinforced by a photo that you see over and over keeping the original memory alive.

that happens to me with music. i hear a tune that i associate with another person from long ago, and i can get a ton of memory flash.