Apple working on new pro-level display with embedded A13 chip, claims report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2021
Apple is reportedly working on another pro-level display that may replace the Pro Display XDR, using an Apple-developed chip at its core.

A new report claims that the Pro Display XDR is just Apple's first entry in its return to the professional display market. A new display is said to be in development, using the codename J327.

The report published on Friday afternoon on 9to5 Mac is light on details, presumably because the display is in early development. However, the report claims that it is presently using the A13 Bionic chip for some reason, with the neural engine in the chip used to accelerate machine learning tasks.

It's not clear what the A13 will be used for beyond the claimed machine learning acceleration. In theory, using the Thunderbolt bus, it could be used as some kind of graphical accelerator, as an eGPU can for Intel. It may also be the source of continuing rumors that suggested prior to the release of the Pro Display XDR, that the display itself would assist in graphically demanding tasks.

This isn't the first report that Apple was working on a new display. In January, alongside rumors of a new Mac Pro in the works, it was rumored that Apple is working on a lower-priced external monitor as part of its new Mac desktop efforts.

Even less was disclosed about it then -- it isn't clear if Friday's report is the same unit discussed in January.

Apple's existing Pro Display XDR is 32 inches diagonal, with a 6015 x 2284 resolution. Every LED in the backlight is calibrated from the factory, with modulation of each LED with an array of custom lenses and reflectors for true HDR.

To manage reflected light, Pro Display XDR has an anti-reflective coating. It also has an optional matte option that the company calls nano-texture, with glass etched at the nanometer level for low reflectivity and less glare. Bezels are 9mm thick.

The Pro Display XDR retails for $4999. The Pro Display with nano-texture glass retails for $5999. The Pro Stand is a separate $999 feature, and the VESA mount adapter is $199. Retailers are currently discounting the Pro Display XDR in the AppleInsider Display Price Guide, with discounts up to $400 off in addition to savings on AppleCare.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Are you saying that the Pro Display XDR doesn't have an Apple developed chip at its core?

Because I find that hard to believe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, we also need a prosumer/consumer level display for middle class computing.
    tenthousandthingsmcdavedewmeentropysopinionqwerty52dysamoriacaladanianmichelb76watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    crowley said:
    Are you saying that the Pro Display XDR doesn't have an Apple developed chip at its core?

Because I find that hard to believe.
    This from Apple’s white paper on the XDR technology. The XDR has an Apple-designed timing controller (TCON) chip engineered to precisely control high-speed modulation of both 20.4 million LCD pixels and 
 576 LEDs in backlight for seamless synchronization. 
    tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    My guess is that they’re using this so that the display can work wirelessly through AirPlay, this might also allow Apple Pencil support which would be huge! Also might be used for Face ID. 
    TheObannonFilejas99ShaolinRockstarpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    My guess is that they’re using this so that the display can work wirelessly through AirPlay, this might also allow Apple Pencil support which would be huge! Also might be used for Face ID. 
    This right here! This is what I want. All three. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    I'd love for Face ID to come to Apple's Macs and displays, but I think there's a hurdle that makes it less harder to complete over Touch ID. When you look at Touch ID you have  up to 5 fingerprints being recorded which Face ID only allows for one, which an alternative face. I think some combination of the speed of the Secure Enclave and the current storage capacity makes it harder to authenticate a large number of faces over fingerprints well. Maybe one day we'll see this increase but we're still at 5 fingerprints being registered for a Mac just like in the latest iPad Air which only has a single user account.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    If that allows long cables to a remote or shared Mac I'd be keen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    AI has joined the legions of “news sites” who now throw unwanted and automatically playing VIDEO POPUPS on pages.

STOP MAKING THE WEB INTOLERABLE!!
    FileMakerFellerMplsP