Face ID could reach Mac lineup within a 'couple of years'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2021
Apple could be bringing Face ID over from iPhone to Mac within a few years, according to a report, with the added possibility of using cameras embedded in the display itself.

In terms of security, the Mac and MacBook lineup still largely depend on passwords and, in some cases, Touch ID. While iPhones and iPads currently benefit from using Face ID as a biometric security mechanism, it is proposed that it could make its way to the Mac product lines in the future.

According to Mark Gurman's latest "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, the change to Face ID is anticipated to happen "within a couple of years." The move will apparently be part of a general shift of all applicable products over to Face ID.

Currently, the MacBook Pro lineup, the 24-inch iMac, the iPhone SE, iPad Air, and iPad all use Touch ID for biometric security.

According to Gurman, the changes would include an embedding of a camera into the display, though this may be saved for the more expensive models in respective ranges. Doing so would effectively eliminate the need for a notch at the top of the display.

A move to push Mac towards Face ID is beneficial to Apple beyond providing users an alternative authentication system. Unlike Touch ID, Face ID's hardware also enables depth mapping, and in turn augmented reality applications.

The concept of Face ID on MacBooks have been circulating for a while, with Apple demonstrating in patent applications that it was considering the addition for some time. However, such a change would require major alterations to the design of the MacBook, due to the incredibly thin lids, though such concerns aren't an issue for thicker desktop Macs like the 24-inch iMac.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    There’s really no good reason FaceID couldn’t have been added already to Macs. IT would be an awesome addition to both usability and security.  I’ve seen some postulate that there isn’t the ability to store the information for multiple users, but the vast majority of Macs are personal devices that have a single account.
    byronlneo-tech
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Hmmm I think there are some arguably good reasons. 

As they currently exist, FaceID camera arrays (it’s not just one camera) are much too thick to fit in a MacBook lid. I’m sure Apple is hard at work debiggenning them but we have no idea how far along they are.

also, FaceID hardware is used for more than just FaceID; the invisible infrared dot emitters are used for stuff like Portrait Mode and 3D scanning that just don’t have a lot of utility on the Mac.

it’s sure to come along sooner or later but I don’t blame Apple for considering it a low priority.
    byronldewme
  • Reply 3 of 14
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Apple is still best in many areas, but likewise a little slow, as I feel. 
    byronl
  • Reply 4 of 14
    This could have already been done but knowing Apple they like to roll out the same features to all their products slowly for more profit. 
    byronlAI_liasneo-tech
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Apple could be bringing Face ID...within a few years...it could make its way...in the future

I'm not holding my breath  :/

• Reply 6 of 14
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Hmm. I was thinking it might make its way into the upcoming Apple Silicon MBPs. Now I know what generation I will be waiting for to upgrade my Intel 16-inch MBP. Good to know.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Does anyone know what the process is for replacing a Touch ID keyboard on an M1 Mac? Do I just order a replacement, or do I have to provide Apple with the serial number of my Mac before I can get the replacement? (I.e., is the serial number of the Mac loaded into the Touch ID keyboard before it is delivered to me?) I've googled this question but nobody has talked about it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    In the meantime, just buy an Apple Watch.   It works just as well.  And, if you're wearing a mask, you need it to unlock even your phone.
    neo-techpatchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 14
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    In the meantime, just buy an Apple Watch.   It works just as well.  And, if you're wearing a mask, you need it to unlock even your phone.

Apple Watch unlocking of my Mac works very inconsistently. Can't depend on it. I never know when it will work and when it will not. I'm happy when it does work, and when it doesn't I have no idea why. Meanwhile, for my work computer, I use WIndows Hello which is not perfect but overall works very well. I know there were some cases where security researchers were able to trick it. But if you look at the risk/convenience analysis, its worth it, and it's here and now, not sometime in the future.
    GeorgeBMacneo-techdewme
  • Reply 10 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    AI_lias said:

Apple Watch unlocking of my Mac works very inconsistently. Can't depend on it. I never know when it will work and when it will not. I'm happy when it does work, and when it doesn't I have no idea why. Meanwhile, for my work computer, I use WIndows Hello which is not perfect but overall works very well. I know there were some cases where security researchers were able to trick it. But if you look at the risk/convenience analysis, its worth it, and it's here and now, not sometime in the future.
    This is my experience as well. FaceID just works. Apple Watch unlock is a crap shoot. 

Eric_WVGG said:

As they currently exist, FaceID camera arrays (it’s not just one camera) are much too thick to fit in a MacBook lid. I’m sure Apple is hard at work debiggenning them but we have no idea how far along they are.

also, FaceID hardware is used for more than just FaceID; the invisible infrared dot emitters are used for stuff like Portrait Mode and 3D scanning that just don’t have a lot of utility on the Mac.

Just like the 1080p camera, if Apple wasn’t insistent on having the taper on the lid it would fit fine. It’s a case of function following form rather than form following function. As for the extra uses of the infrared camera, so? Just don’t use them. 
    GeorgeBMacneo-techmichelb76muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 14
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    It’s a glowing omission and a strange one to be so far behind implementing. Odd indeed. It is  super convenient feature but not included. Strange.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Eric_WVGG said:

it’s sure to come along sooner or later but I don’t blame Apple for considering it a low priority.
    I can think of a lot of uses  for an object scanner on a Mac and portrait mode. 

iMac's don't have the same space restrictions can be used by a number of people and I think are more likely to be shared more often now and in the future as peoples personnel devices get better and they just want to be able to pull up to a big screen occasionally. 

I wonder if they can do faceID Relay so if a user has a faceID device with them in their pocket the Mac camera array could securely share a video stream with the device and get credentials that way for multiple users. 

Maybe par of the reason the XDR display is getting a A chip is to do the same RemoteID tricks. 

• Reply 13 of 14
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    As to why iPhones have Face ID, and MacBooks don't, I still don't understand. People's faces are much more likely to be in front of a laptop screen.

I understand the point that the screen portion of the laptop might be too thin, but to be real, we're all used to camera bumps nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if they come to laptops sooner than later.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Does anyone know what the process is for replacing a Touch ID keyboard on an M1 Mac? Do I just order a replacement, or do I have to provide Apple with the serial number of my Mac before I can get the replacement? (I.e., is the serial number of the Mac loaded into the Touch ID keyboard before it is delivered to me?) I've googled this question but nobody has talked about it.
    https://getsupport.apple.com