'iPad mini 6' could sport 8.3-inch display but retain the same footprint

Posted:
in iPad
The display on the rumored "iPad mini 6" will be bumped up to 8.3 inches because of its narrower bezels and lack of Home button, according to a display analyst.

Credit: FrontPageTech
Credit: FrontPageTech

The next-generation iPad mini will have an 8.3-inch display, up from the current 7.9-inch screen, according to Ross Young at Display Supply Chain Consultants. The larger display will likely fit in the same footprint as current models.

As we published earlier today, iPad mini 6 is 8.3".

— Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously forecast that the new iPad mini could have a screen size between 8.5 and 9 inches. The lack of a Home button and a potential launch in the fall was also reported by Bloomberg earlier in July.

The "iPad mini 6," which Bloomberg said could sport the "biggest redesign in the nine-year history" of the model, may also feature a squared design like current iPad Air and iPad Pro devices. It isn't clear if it could feature Face ID or Touch ID in the power button.

Additionally, the new mini-sized tablet could sport an Apple "A15" chipset, a USB-C connector, and mini LED backlighting.

Apple last updated the iPad mini back in 2019 with a speedier A12 Bionic chip, Apple Pencil support, and other incremental improvements. Current reports suggest that Apple could release the "iPad mini 6" in the fall of 2021.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Been waiting on one of these for years now. I'm in on day one.
    harry wildAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    hmlongco said:
    Me too.
    harry wildAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    It’s overdue. Same size as the old Mini, USB-C port, colors and M-chip. It’s pretty much a small iPad Air.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 810member
    I hoping for a mini led screen but if iPad Mini 6 is an A15 SoC with 8GB RAM, I am all in too!
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    fallenjt said:
    It’s overdue. Same size as the old Mini, USB-C port, colors and M-chip. It’s pretty much a small iPad Air.
    No M chip in the iPad Mini. A14 or A15 is expected. 
    edited July 2021 urashidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    twokatmew said:
    fallenjt said:
    No M chip in the iPad Mini. A14 or A15 is expected. 
    A14 SoC will be an one year old in September 2021!  Come only, do you really want it?  Mini 5 has an A12!  
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I'm really tempted to get the iPhone mini this year and use the new iPad mini as my main device. Has anyone tried this before?
    Alex_Vwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    hmlongco said:
    Me too.
    Will update from the current model in a heartbeat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    I'm really tempted to get the iPhone mini this year and use the new iPad mini as my main device. Has anyone tried this before?
    I use the new 12.9 inch iPad Pro for photo and video editing. The Center Stage feature is great for Zoom meetings. The current versiion of the iPad Mininnis my go-to device for everything else. I will even do photo editing and album organizing on the mini it is just a marvelous device and with a larger screen in the same footprint it will even be more of a productive device. I’am in the public beta testing program for iOS 15 using it on the Mini with no problems. iOS 15 has some very useful upgrade features, One of the best iOS upgrades in years.
    Alex_Vpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Since I take/make relatively few voice calls, I've ALWAYS used an iPad Mini with cellular and buds as my "phone." AT&T offers a LTE deal: 3 months for $30 for 2GB of data and that tends to be plenty for me since I can tap into free wifi in almost every place I go. Annual cell service for me tends to be SOUTH of $100 (I only renew when I need cellular again). 

For my purposes, I don't even need a phone at all. iPad Mini does BOTH jobs well. For occasional calls, I use buds with microphone just like many people do with their phones. Google Voice is a free phone app (and there are several others if you want to dodge Google) and it doubles for texting with the non iOS world (else Messages "just works").

I don't feel a miss a thing this way. But obviously, this is not for everyone.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Thank you for the info! I think that settles it, definitely going to give this a go.
    watto_cobra