'Ted Lasso' season premiere breaks Apple TV+ viewing record

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2021
The season two premiere of breakout hit "Ted Lasso" managed to bring in the most viewers of any Apple TV+ series or movie debut to date, the company said Monday.

Lasso

While Apple is not offering specific figures, the tech giant said more Apple TV+ subscribers watched the season premiere in its opening weekend than any prior launch, reports Variety. The viewing window ran from Friday, July 23, to Sunday, July 25.

Apple boasts the show "increased its viewership by 6x over season one," though again the company is not revealing exact viewer numbers. "Ted Lasso" is also driving adoption, with Apple TV+ growing its user base by a 50% week over week during the premiere weekend, the report said. The series premiere also lifted numbers for Apple TV+ comedies including the new musical series "Schmigadoon," "Physical" and "Mythic Quest," Apple said.

Starring Jason Sudeikis as the titular Ted Lasso, the show tells the unlikely underdog story of an American football coach who is brought on to lead a soccer club in England. Preaching optimism, respect and positivity in a time of struggle, the show became a critical hit for Apple's fledgling TV service.

Apple aggressively promoted last Friday's season premiere, using a variety of outlets from YouTube to traditional media interviews and an Apple.com takeover to advertise the show's sophomore season.

Along with a growing fanbase, "Ted Lasso" has enjoyed critical praise for its witty writing and optimistic message. Sudeikis won a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild best actor awards for his turn as Lasso. The show is up for 20 Emmy Awards including nominations for Sudeikis and co-stars Juno Temple, Hannah Waddingham, Brett Goldstein, Brendan Hunt, Nathan Shelley, and Jeremy Swift.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    DovalDoval Posts: 40member
    Awesome show! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Great show. And to a similar extent the new show, Schmigadoon!, copies the overall attitude. I hope Apple maintains this direction.
    pichaelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    IMO, it lived up to the hype. The episode was funny and they didn't undermine the psychiatrist, which shows that there is more than one way to deal with issues. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Doval said:
    Awesome show! 
    It is. I only started it like last week. I was a little disappointed with the premier. It wasn’t bad but didn’t seem to hold up to the first season.  I’m sure if will pick up….
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    IMO, it lived up to the hype. The episode was funny and they didn't undermine the psychiatrist, which shows that there is more than one way to deal with issues. 
    Fantastic start to the show. The way he handled the dog issue right off the bat was pretty incredible; weaponizing niceness lol.

I actually thought the psychologist part was a bit contrived and preachy, too overtly 'tackling' mental health stigma (which I'm all for, just please do it effectively).

Also, I loved the joke about wearing the red hat at the _____ fundraiser lol
    watto_cobra