Apple ceases iOS 14.6 code signing, blocks downgrades from iOS 14.7 and above

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2021
Apple on Monday stopped signing code for iOS 14.6 following the release of iOS 14.7 last week and iOS 14.7.1 today, meaning users are now unable to downgrade to the previous operating system version.

iOS 14

Apple issued iOS 14.7 a week ago with support for the new MagSafe Battery Pack and improvements to Apple Card Family. General performance enhancements and security fixes were also included.

Earlier today, iOS 14.7.1 was released to remedy an issue that prevented Apple Watch from unlocking iPhones with Touch ID. The update also closed a potentially serious security hole that was exploited in the wild.

Users who updated to iOS 14.7 or iOS 14.7.1 can no longer download or install the now out-of-date iOS 14.6 operating system.

Apple routinely stops signing legacy code after the release of a new iOS build in part to protect customers from nefarious actors attempting to take advantage of newly discovered vulnerabilities. In addition to security, preventing users from downloading older code allows Apple to keep more iOS devices on the latest, feature-rich software.

The company has not yet released an iOS 14.8 beta, but work on the upcoming iOS 15 milestone release set to debut this fall is ongoing. That update will bring a slew of new system tools and enhancements to first party apps like FaceTime, Maps, Messages, Safari and more.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Small bugs always get by, occasionally a big one. That’s a tough one for Touch ID IPhones who use Watch. Watch doing my unlocks is my go to. 

Pulling OS releases happens. Old ones and ones that are discovered with an inherent flaw. 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    We regularly get outraged posts from users who demand their right to have any version of iOS, for any reason, installed on their iOS device. My device, my decision goes the argument. Apple’s policy, in my opinion, is the right thing to do to ensure homogeneity and prevent fragmentation on as many iOS devices as possible. The policy increases security, privacy, performance, etc. The outrage of a few outliers is not enough reason for Apple to change this policy. For those who insist there are places they can go to get older versions, hopefully not, but probably infested with malware. Just not from Apple.
    caladanian
  • Reply 3 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'll give it a couple more weeks before I upgrade then.  Don't trust Apple's software quality control that much.
    darkvader
  • Reply 4 of 5
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    And Apple's absolutely abhorrent behavior continues.  It's MY iPhone, not Apple's iPhone.

Hopefully some of the antitrust lawsuits will eventually end this insane control freak behavior on Apple's part.  I should have the choice to run any OS that my hardware is capable of running, without this interference from Apple.

elijahg
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    darkvader said:
    And Apple's absolutely abhorrent behavior continues.  It's MY iPhone, not Apple's iPhone.

Hopefully some of the antitrust lawsuits will eventually end this insane control freak behavior on Apple's part.  I should have the choice to run any OS that my hardware is capable of running, without this interference from Apple.

You have a choice. Why aren’t you exercising that choice? Why are you continuing to use a platform you consider to be ‘abhorrent’? Are you addicted to Apple and can’t let go? Does Android not let you install whatever flavor you want? 
    edited July 2021