Apple's record $81.4 billion Q3 obliterates Street expectations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 262member
    fallenjt said:
    And AAPL after hour trading drops over 1%. What kind of WS bullshit is that?
    Please. Apple has been on a tear the last few trading days, presumably because most investors figured they'd see another band-up quarter — and they did. Then some of them decided to "profit take," and cash in. It's all part of the capitalist game.
    Japhey
  • Reply 22 of 79
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    sunman42 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Please. Apple has been on a tear the last few trading days, presumably because most investors figured they'd see another band-up quarter — and they did. Then some of them decided to "profit take," and cash in. It's all part of the capitalist game.
    You mean traders. Otherwise, spot on. 
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 23 of 79
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Japhey said:
    sunman42 said:
    fallenjt said:
    How about speculators?
  • Reply 24 of 79
    DAalseth said:
    Japhey said:
    sunman42 said:
    fallenjt said:
    How about speculators?
    How about them? Investors and traders are both speculators. One is concerned with long term profit, and the other with profit through short term price fluctuations. I don’t understand the question…
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 79
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    As always, Wall Street doesn’t care about what you did today, it’s about what it thinks you will do in the future. And the Covid-19 delta variant has thrown a monkey wrench into the financial crystal ball, all because 50% of the population are dumb, ignorant morons. There’s also a study out that reveals 1-in-5 believe the vaccines contain microchips. That means 20% of the population are certified idiots.
    Hey hotshot,  you do know that these “vaccines” are experimental and rushed out to the public with no data on long term side effects.   Do you think 50% of the population are morons because they are concerned about such things?  They dare to question about rushing to use such things instead of not even thinking about it?  That makes them morons??  2 of these so called vaccines are not even real vaccines.  There are a number of doctors who have gone public about their concerns and what they have seen going on.  I guess they are morons too?   Sadly,  there is however data on bad reactions and lingering problems after getting these vaccines.

There's a shit ton of data about the short and long term effects of COVID-19, and now today, data showing erectile disfunction and reduced sperm production.

https://theconversation.com/covid-19-could-cause-male-infertility-and-sexual-dysfunction-but-vaccines-do-not-164139

I went with the "experimental vaccine Moderna" as soon as it was available, thanks very much, and thanks to the "dumb, ignorant morons", for lack of a more appropriate moniker, there is going to be a primordial soup of virus variants returning over and over again to the U.S., and the rest of the world.

I don't particularly care if you stake your life on remaining vax free, but us vaccinated, and the medical community, are getting pretty fucking tired of having to watch the rest of you fuckers shit the bed, and expecting us to clean up after you.

I'm now solidly behind vaccine passports, and shipping all of our excess vaccines to places around the world that will make good use of it before it expires.

Have a nice day!
    XedDoctorQwilliamlondonmobirdmwhiteRayz2016robabalkruppmontrosemacsddawson100
  • Reply 26 of 79
    one9deuce said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    As always, Wall Street doesn’t care about what you did today, it’s about what it thinks you will do in the future. And the Covid-19 delta variant has thrown a monkey wrench into the financial crystal ball, all because 50% of the population are dumb, ignorant morons. There’s also a study out that reveals 1-in-5 believe the vaccines contain microchips. That means 20% of the population are certified idiots.
    Well, that 50% clearly just needs to be educated. Such as providing links to actual studies on the long term effects of an mRNA vaccine on people. I think if you were to post some of those it would be very illuminating. 

And you’re spot on, just like previous quarters when Apple crushed earnings, it’s only what Wall St. thinks will happen going forward that matters. 
    Well, if you go to the VAERS website* right now and compare vaccine deaths, most vaccine deaths range from a handful, to a dozen, to a couple hundred at most. Covid comes in over 6,000. Of course, not all of these are verified, but evidence suggests that most of the VAERS inputs are from medical providers. Keep in mind, vaccine programs have been halted before for as little as 25 deaths. We have >6,000 reported deaths now. And yet people see fit to continue this, even giving it to children, who have virtually no risk from covid. Incredibly cowardly, especially when you consider that over %90 of elderly (in the US at least) have already been vaccinated.

Yes, that’s great info. Thank you. My original intent was that there IS no long term studies on the effects of the vaccine on humans, but the short term effects are slowly starting to be more widely known thankfully. 

How will all of this affect Apple? Who knows? Should be an interesting quarter.  
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 79
    DoctorQDoctorQ Posts: 50member
    lmntary said:
    Buying stock in "stupid" would seem to be the long play these days.  Anyone have the ticker for that??
    STU?
  • Reply 28 of 79
    tmay said:
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    Hey hotshot,  you do know that these “vaccines” are experimental and rushed out to the public with no data on long term side effects.   Do you think 50% of the population are morons because they are concerned about such things?  They dare to question about rushing to use such things instead of not even thinking about it?  That makes them morons??  2 of these so called vaccines are not even real vaccines.  There are a number of doctors who have gone public about their concerns and what they have seen going on.  I guess they are morons too?   Sadly,  there is however data on bad reactions and lingering problems after getting these vaccines.

There's a shit ton of data about the short and long term effects of COVID-19, and now today, data showing erectile disfunction and reduced sperm production.

https://theconversation.com/covid-19-could-cause-male-infertility-and-sexual-dysfunction-but-vaccines-do-not-164139

I went with the "experimental vaccine Moderna" as soon as it was available, thanks very much, and thanks to the "dumb, ignorant morons", for lack of a more appropriate moniker, there is going to be a primordial soup of virus variants returning over and over again to the U.S., and the rest of the world.

I don't particularly care if you stake your life on remaining vax free, but us vaccinated, and the medical community, are getting pretty fucking tired of having to watch the rest of you fuckers shit the bed, and expecting us to clean up after you.

I'm now solidly behind vaccine passports, and shipping all of our excess vaccines to places around the world that will make good use of it before it expires.

Have a nice day!
    You don't seem very knowledgeable about the covid vaccines. And you seem a bit angry. I wonder if that's a side effect of the vaccines we should be looking into..

Anyway, I'm a physician, part of this medical community you're speaking of. Are you a part of it? (Since you seem to be speaking for it.) Many of us have a lot of concerns about the vaccines. I related a few of them in previous posts if you care to read them. But, thankfully you can rest a bit more easy. As I mentioned, over %90 of the elderly have been vaccinated, which are overwhelmingly the age group most at risk, and the vaccine (which shows efficacy against variants) is readily available for those that want it. Success!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 79
    polymnia said:
    polymnia said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    I'm long into AAPL since 2011. This dip happens more often than not after earnings. I'm happy to see the earning reaction dip is smaller than it usually is.

I see nothing in this report to make me reconsider my long position in AAPL. Except that my Financial Advisor tells me I own too much AAPL. It's not my fault it has 20x-ed while the rest of my portfolio has plodded along at more or less average returns. Probably should rebalance my holdings one day, but my Spidey sense says today is not that day.
    Some of us since 1998 :D
    Or at least early 2009, only 50.5x here.
    Out of curiosity, what does that do to your portfolio? Do you sell periodically to keep your speculative AAPL holdings within a particular % of your portfolio? I haven’t sold yet, but my advisor has brought it up. 
    AAPL makes up more than 40% of all liquid assets.  The other 60% is very well diversified.  I make my own investment decisions, so no one is pressuring me to sell.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    ArszyArszy Posts: 13member
    DoctorQ said:
    lmntary said:
    Buying stock in "stupid" would seem to be the long play these days.  Anyone have the ticker for that??
    STU?
    TSLA
  • Reply 31 of 79
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Not paying much attention to the content of the vaccine discussion, but trying to reel this discussion back on topic:

lately my most successful  individual stock purchases have been BNTX & MRNA (BioNTech & Moderna). MRNA technology has been in development for a long time and COVID has been it’s coming out party. For a version 1.0 product (or as discussed above, maybe a Beta product) it has been quite successful. These companies are delivering their first high-profile products based on this tech. The scientists think this tech has many other health applications that are not well served by traditional med tech. 

Reminds me of a certain fruit company and it’s disruption of the PC industry. 
    dewme
  • Reply 32 of 79
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    one9deuce said:
    one9deuce said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:
    Well, that 50% clearly just needs to be educated. Such as providing links to actual studies on the long term effects of an mRNA vaccine on people. I think if you were to post some of those it would be very illuminating. 

And you’re spot on, just like previous quarters when Apple crushed earnings, it’s only what Wall St. thinks will happen going forward that matters. 
    Well, if you go to the VAERS website* right now and compare vaccine deaths, most vaccine deaths range from a handful, to a dozen, to a couple hundred at most. Covid comes in over 6,000. Of course, not all of these are verified, but evidence suggests that most of the VAERS inputs are from medical providers. Keep in mind, vaccine programs have been halted before for as little as 25 deaths. We have >6,000 reported deaths now. And yet people see fit to continue this, even giving it to children, who have virtually no risk from covid. Incredibly cowardly, especially when you consider that over %90 of elderly (in the US at least) have already been vaccinated.

Yes, that’s great info. Thank you. My original intent was that there IS no long term studies on the effects of the vaccine on humans, but the short term effects are slowly starting to be more widely known thankfully. 

I'll play.

627,000 people have officially died from COVID19 to date in the U.S., and you are "concerned" about a very small number who have had fatal reactions to the vaccines, and another some 6000 who have been vaccinated but died from COVID19 anyway.

Seems like a vaccination give you 100x better chance of life, and then of course, there are all of those nasty short and longterm effects of COVID19 that a significant portion of those with symptomatic COVID19 will experience over their lifetime.

I say, knock yourself out!
    robabalkrupp
  • Reply 33 of 79
    tmay said:
    one9deuce said:
    one9deuce said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:

I'll play.

627,000 people have officially died from COVID19 to date in the U.S., and you are "concerned" about a very small number who have had fatal reactions to the vaccines, and another some 6000 who have been vaccinated but died from COVID19 anyway.

Seems like a vaccination give you 100x better chance of life, and then of course, there are all of those nasty short and longterm effects of COVID19 that a significant portion of those with symptomatic COVID19 will experience over their lifetime.

I say, knock yourself out!
    I’m absolutely concerned about what might happen if I get Covid 19 both in the short term and the long term. What can happen from contracting it is very known and not something I would ever take lightly. But I’m also quite concerned about what the long term effects of an mRNA vaccine are, and since that is not known by anybody I also don’t take that lightly either. Hopefully there are no long term side effects from an mRNA vaccine since hundreds of millions of people have gotten it. 

I’m also concerned I’m contributing to derailing this thread, so this post will be my last post on the vaccine.

One of my favorite subjects is Apple’s stock, so I look forward to more posts about their quarterly earnings report. Quarter 2 of 2020 to quarter 2 of 2021 was about a 50% increase, which is mind-boggling for a company with a market cap in the trillions. And I think they’re going to keep growing at an astounding rate. 

equality72521Alex_V
  • Reply 34 of 79
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    The stock run, culling of value added vs cash flow products and monetization has seemed remarkable...
    That said I ask myself if I really want to pay for anything on the shelf at the moment, vs icloud data orientation & feeling pressure because of support sunsets & hardware lockdowns by design...
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 35 of 79
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member

Apple stock in a nutshell. 
    Beats
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 212member
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:

Nah. It’s all down to talking heads on Faux News recklessly playing the ratings game and spewing nonsense to protect their partisan political interests since the early days of the pandemic, and to people like you spreading nonsense crap like this on social media. I’m going to take a wild guess here… you’re not even remotely a physician or a biomedical professional of any sort, are you?
  • Reply 37 of 79
    polymnia said:
    Not paying much attention to the content of the vaccine discussion, but trying to reel this discussion back on topic:

lately my most successful  individual stock purchases have been BNTX & MRNA (BioNTech & Moderna). MRNA technology has been in development for a long time and COVID has been it’s coming out party. For a version 1.0 product (or as discussed above, maybe a Beta product) it has been quite successful. These companies are delivering their first high-profile products based on this tech. The scientists think this tech has many other health applications that are not well served by traditional med tech. 

Reminds me of a certain fruit company and it’s disruption of the PC industry. 
    Haha, it definitely came off the rails quickly on this thread. From quarterly earnings to vaccine passports in the blink of an eye. Anyway, thanks for trying to bring us back on topic. And cheers to you…you’re having a pretty nice month, yes? Those are some good looking ascending triangles you’re holding there. 
    Alex_V
  • Reply 38 of 79
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lmntary said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:

The company that owns Tik Tok is supposed to file an IPO.

Aaaaaand stock tanks. Go figure.
    Of course you already know what I'm about to say. I'm just explaining it for the unwashed masses who don't.

Stock prices have nothing to do with "news". They have to do with "expectations". If stock prices had anything to do with news then everyone could become rich by investing in the stocks that are expected to go up. Before news is delivered, people already have expectations.

If people expected more from Apple than this news delivered, that would explain why it went down.

No. Apple blew everyone’s expectations and the stock still dropped. This happens often. Plus Luca said to expect double digit growth AGAIN. You’d think everyone would be buying AAPL with that expectation alone.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    gbdocgbdoc Posts: 83member
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fallenjt said:

Aside from being clearly OT, your post simply spreads ignorant misinformation, half-truths and untruths. This isn’t the place to go into detail, but it’s worth noting that over 90% of covid patients in the hospital, some of whom die, weren't vaccinated.

tmay
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Huge trading computers controlling huge amounts of money execute the majority of day to day trading. You don’t beat these computers and you shouldn’t even try. The day’s trading is a mish mosh of ups and downs pricing. Forget about that except for noticing it like you’d notice ballgame scores. They’re interesting but aren’t meaningful. What happened to Apple after hours from computer trading, mostly, means nothing unless you are a short term options trader or short swing trader. 
    Stocks like Apple are a longer term purchase. Buy it then don’t worry what happened today. A five minute chart tells you nothing about investing in Apple. You need to look at the daily chart over a year coupled with earnings results and growth. That’s the information you need to know. Then you can try to find an optimal entry point but that can also be difficult. The verified best time to purchase Apple is anytime if you’re going to hold it. 

With that said, Luca stated part shortages may constrain IPhones and IPads sales. Also, the 30%+ growth of the last two quarters won’t be achieved because previous comps were easier. They also didn’t give full guidance except to say they expect to see double digit growth. Not comforting to options traders and swing traders and huge computer trading. Imho this sets up a price dip for potential sweet entry point. 135 is likelier target, maybe dips to bottom of long term channel at 131. That’s a forward PE of 22. For a company seeing double digit growth, revenue diversity and buying 4% shares back annually? That’s a buy (if it gets to these prices). 
    dewmeB-Mc-C