Apple's wearables revenue surpasses Mac and iPad in Q3

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2021
After trailing behind both the Mac and iPad sales in Apple's last quarter, revenue from wearables including Apple Watch have now exceeded both.

Apple Watch Series 6 in red
Apple Watch Series 6 in red

During Apple's latest earnings call, the company's figures showed a dramatic rise in the revenue from sales of what are officially classed as Wearables, Home and Accessories. At $8.8 billion, the 2021 quarter easily beat last year's $6.5 billion and last quarter's $7.8 billion.

"It was another very strong quarter for wearables home and accessories, which set a new quarter record by helping people find fun ways to stay entertained and connected at home and on the go," Apple CEO Tim Cook said on the call.

"Apple Watch remains a go to choice for users to stay on top of their health," he continued, "and reach their fitness goals. and our newest accessory AirTag is [getting] an enthusiastic response from customers, making the Find My network more useful than ever, while protecting user privacy."

Apple CFO Luca Maestri noted 75% of Apple Watch buyers in quarter three were new to the platform.

In the second quarter, wearables were slightly behind the iPad's $7.8 billion, but considerably lower than the Mac's $9.1 billion. The latest quarter's figures show a very different picture, however, with the iPad coming in at $7.4 billion and the Mac at $8.2 billion.

Wearables growth
Wearables growth

More than a turnaround from the last quarter, it suggests that previous reports of wearable sales slowing were premature. In Q2, it had gained 24.7% over the same time in 2020, but that was lower than previous quarter growth.

In comparison, for Q3 2021, the category grew 36%.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
     Apple Watch has to be one of the easiest go to presents for getting a wow response. Graduations, birthdays, Christmas, etc, etc.  It's got a price point that makes it not too expensive, but high enough to make it special enough.  So much growth left for Apple Watch.

edited July 2021 pulseimagesAlex_VBeatspatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'd add those categories aren't nearly as saturated as the Mac and iPad. I wonder how the growth will hold as more and more get wearables over time.
    BombdoeAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    But there’s a subset who are not watch people. Make sure if it’s a gift that the recipient is a watch person who will appreciate it. If they’re not, they’ll think Apple Watch is junk and never learn to wear and use it. That would be a bummer.

I bought Series 6 after only one year with Series 5 because of the BLUE color I had to have. Turns out it looks like BLACK most of the time. But then I was pleasantly surprised to get 40-48 hours of use between 100 minute charges with the series 6. So I’m not sure what Apple can do to get me to move up to a series 7 watch. But I gotta say there is a huge difference between Series 5 and 6 with both charging time and longevity of the charge. Can anyone else confirm my experience with Series 6 or not?

I don’t use notifications at all. I’m always ON Do Not Disturb and Silent modes. But I do leave the X-Large display Always ON with the Juice Watch complication to monitor both my iPhone and Apple Watch battery levels. Keep Wake Screen settings ALL OFF.

My favorite watch complications are Juice Watch, Weather, Timer, Voice In A Can (Alexa for Apple Watch), Parcel, Overcast (podcast player), Workout, and Our Groceries. Still getting roughly 2 days between charges including one 20 mile Outdoor Cycle workout during that 2 days.
    edited July 2021 Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Yup.

”Fire cook! Innovation died with Steve Jobs!”

Since 2018, whenever someone said these words I mentioned that under Cook, Apple released the 2nd and 4th most successful products in Apple history. I usually let them guess because I don’t like making things easy for people who post easy replies.

THIS report is concrete proof that these products sure are as massively successful as I said.

#3 is iPad but I’m starting to think #4 may surpass it soon, you just watch!
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    But there’s a subset who are not watch people. Make sure if it’s a gift that the recipient is a watch person who will appreciate it. If they’re not, they’ll think Apple Watch is junk and never learn to wear and use it. That would be a bummer.

I bought Series 6 after only one year with Series 5 because of the BLUE color I had to have. Turns out it looks like BLACK most of the time. But then I was pleasantly surprised to get 40-48 hours of use between 100 minute charges with the series 6. So I’m not sure what Apple can do to get me to move up to a series 7 watch. But I gotta say there is a huge difference between Series 5 and 6 with both charging time and longevity of the charge. Can anyone else confirm my experience with Series 6 or not?

I don’t use notifications at all. I’m always ON Do Not Disturb and Silent modes. But I do leave the X-Large display Always ON with the Juice Watch complication to monitor both my iPhone and Apple Watch battery levels. Keep Wake Screen settings ALL OFF.

My favorite watch complications are Juice Watch, Weather, Timer, Voice In A Can (Alexa for Apple Watch), Parcel, Overcast (podcast player), Workout, and Our Groceries. Still getting roughly 2 days between charges including one 20 mile Outdoor Cycle workout during that 2 days.
    " a subset who are not watch people. "  - that's true.  But a big selling point of Apple Watch is as a fitness device, and it then becomes more than a watch but a health/fitness monitor. Plus communication/notification gizmo.  

I'm curious what the experience is of their friends/colleagues etc who have just tossed their Apple Watch in a drawer versus those who 
    always wear it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 839member
    Beats said:
    Yup.

”Fire cook! Innovation died with Steve Jobs!”

Since 2018, whenever someone said these words I mentioned that under Cook, Apple released the 2nd and 4th most successful products in Apple history. I usually let them guess because I don’t like making things easy for people who post easy replies.

THIS report is concrete proof that these products sure are as massively successful as I said.

#3 is iPad but I’m starting to think #4 may surpass it soon, you just watch!
    BUT... BUT... Jobs was probably thinking about the Watch and AirPods before he died, SO NO CREDIT FOR COOK! Nevermind that neither product came out until years after Jobs's death, Cook has done nothing, he's driving Apple off a cliff and we must stick to the story! ;)

Seriously, though, if there's ever a CEO Hall of Fame, Cook deserves to be a founding inductee. Could there ever have been a tougher and more "impossible" CEO act to follow than Steve Jobs? You're not only measured against his actual accomplishments but his myth and legend, too. I honestly don't think Steve could have made Apple products as ubiquitous as they've become under Cook, all without ever losing their cachet. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra