(Mostly economical) car recs for tall guys/gals with stuff

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I thought I'd give this a try here since most everybody here is of above-average intelligence and sensibility: what in the heck is there out there in terms of automobile selection for A) a tall person with both long legs and upper torso (6'5"), B) this said person desiring commuting-worthy fuel economy and C) room in the back/trunk to carry a large musical instrument ('cello to be specific -- see my AI group pic). Right now I drive a '98 Tahoe, which does the job wonderfully except for the economical aspect; and this summer I may be commuting an hour to and from work daily.

I've looked hard for some time now, trying to find a balance between all those requirements, and just can't really lock onto anything (at least anything that's not completely boring and feminine -- no offense to anyone).

Help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Have you looked at the VW Jetta? Two friends have them and one does indeed tote quite a lot of stuff in her trunk (it's gigantic). 4-door also (for easily getting stuff in and out of the backseat area) and they're both pleased with the gas mileage. I've heard no complaints. One has a 97 model (the older, squared-off style) and the other has a newer one.

What about some of the smaller SUVs? The Saturn VUE is quite nice, gets pretty good gas mileage for an SUV and starts under $20,000. I've owned two Saturns and have been EXTREMELY pleased with everything about them: quality, appearance, customer service, dependability, the sales staff, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'm that tall (I found out last week) but I can't help you, really. Well, I know Mercedes is quite good (you know, Mercedes over here is probably like Ford in the US, everybody has one or two , but other than that. I don't even know half of the cars that are popular in the US. Did you know I was just stunned by the huge amount of cars from a brand called "Lincoln" when I was in New York? (of course I knew what Lincoln was, but still, I don't think it's even possible to get one here if you tried).

Reading your title and your first two requirements, I thought I'd recommend you my current transport solution: motorcycle. Wonderful. I have no beef with the weather whatsoever, and it does rain here once in a while. But hey, I don't see myself transporting a cello on my lovely Honda Transalp.

Ah well. I guess that didn't help, but still,
  • Reply 3 of 36
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    just upping the ole post count

actually, I mishit the reply for the edit button. meee stooopid
  • Reply 4 of 36
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    hmm, my sister plays the cello. . .

The VW bug actually accomodates tall people extremely well. My friends father is over 6 ft, bought one, the roof archs right over the front seets. If it fits a cello, i would be pretty good, despite being sorta weird.

What about the new Honda CRV, I rode in one a few days ago, its a really nice car, and their was a TON of headroom. It would definatly fit a cello, dunno about its mileage however.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    For some reason, every guy I know has an aversion to owning/driving the new VW Beetle.

I think they look pretty cool! Especially that cool metallic pea green color they have AND the new burnt orange color that just came out!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'd reccomend a Vespa because I love them, but I don't think it would do you much good.

Does anyone have any experience with the Honda Civic?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well I'm recommending what I always recommend darn it.

Get yourself a used Jeep Cherokee. The 4 liter engine gets about 18-21 with not to heavy a foot. You can probably get a really nice used one for under $5-6000. My brother drove one for years to Arizona and back. He is 6'3" tall and didn't mind it a bit. Also it is an SUV and will fit a cello in the back.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 36
    ariari Posts: 126member
    A 1998-2002 Saab 9-3.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the new Ford Escape is coming out with a hybrid engine. all the leg room and capacity of an SUV, with 40Mpg
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Get a used Audi sedan. Decent gas mileage. Back seat folds down allowing you to combine trunk and backseat into a large space. And you can just stick your dome out the opened sunroof.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    it depends what you want to spend here are some awesome choices in increasing price order.

-Suziki Aero SX big cargo for small car strong value

-Suburu Impreza wagon (WRX variant extra nice)- true wagon cargo hold, slightly unrefined drivetrain.

- Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe- consider this over the Suburu if you need an electrical outlet in your car, or desire a strong cool factor, otherwise Suburu.

-Honda Element- cool factor, value, cargo, econemy all through the roof a good choice.

-Mazda MPV- a small minivan, tons of cargo space, fold flat 3rd row seat good economy, but it is a minivan.

-Volvo V40- a good ol' volvo wagon thistime with style!

IF you realy want an suv or crossover Nissan Murano is a shure bet, good econmy because of the cvt, sport value murano has it all.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Honda element

base chrysler/dodge minivan (which I have and like)
  • Reply 13 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    If you do highway driving, get a GM car with a 3800 or 3400 series engine. Tey do preety well in town, but great on the highway in terms of mileage. American cars get far better mileage than japanese and german cars with the sme power (and they have more torque as a added bonus.) Plus, they're intended for big americans.

The trucks and SUVs are made to entirely different standards. The Pntiac Grand Prix / Buick Regal / Oldsmobile Intrigue (if it's still around) will get you 30mpg on the highway, they have a generally good ride, and they can fit your 6'5" frame easily. Anyways' I recommend that you look at GM cars. They are insanely reliable (The 3800 engine is a ****ing rock. 150k miles is no prob), bargain priced, and quite comfortable.

Consider that this advice is coming to you from someone who owns a thoroughbread imported sportscar: For value, reliability, and comfort, nobody on Earth beats GM.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Wow -- I'm so happy with all the responses! (Sorry -- 've been out; haven't had a chance to interject yet) I tried a 9-3 the other day -- I liked it a lot, but I'm guessing the steering wheel's tilt mechanism was shot (could barely get in, let alone drive at the level it was stuck at). I guess if I were to come across one with a working tilt wheel, I might consider that. Heh.

I've heard good and bad things about the Saturn Vue; I was really considering it for a while but have read some negative comments about its mechanical reliability (see carsurvey.org -- great customer review site).

And the Civic --- I saw one of the new model hatchbacks today driving home. They don't look half bad -- wonder how the room is inside? If Honda made a 4-door hatchback I'd leap on that (been looking at the Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback, too).

Wish I could wait for the hybrids! (But I don't know if I could actually afford one anyway - maybe in 10 years when money is actually coming TO me! ) The Escape is very, very nice, especially with the 6-cyl. engine -- but I would have to limit my color choices on that number (can look quite the girl-car quickly).

I'd be curious to hear from anybody that's had either the Vue or ANY Subaru vehicle. My dad's always cautioned me about all-wheel-drive cars and their tendencies to fail rather readily. How have Subarus worked out for anybody here (esp. the Forester if anybody's had one)?

Oh, and the GMs --- can't agree with you more. I test-drove the Impala the other day. LOVED it, but I don't know about ground clearance. Do the other models do any better (supposedly Chevy says that it is within the specs of the Impala's design to bottom out in certain circumstances) in that area?
  • Reply 15 of 36
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Get a VW Bug . . . . didn't Kareem drive one . . . . . in a commercial?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Well I'm recommending what I always recommend darn it.

Get yourself a used Jeep Cherokee. The 4 liter engine gets about 18-21 with not to heavy a foot. You can probably get a really nice used one for under $5-6000. My brother drove one for years to Arizona and back. He is 6'3" tall and didn't mind it a bit. Also it is an SUV and will fit a cello in the back.

Nick

My brother also had a Jeep Cherokee . . .but it was brand new and FELL APART IMMEDIATELY AND CONSTANTLY

But everybody seems to have one . . . .
  • Reply 17 of 36
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    yeah I'm doing car shopping a year ahead of time....gone through a lot of the options mentioned so far. The other day I started noticing the Protegé5 wagon thingy. A wagon's not "cool", but I think that's changing as wagons and SUV's and minvans and cars all blend together.

Take a look at that thing.

Another vote for looking at the Element.

The VW Bug is a great looking car.....if you're gay. (sorry, had to say it)

The Jetta's trunk doesn't actually LOOK all that spacious....I'd need to see one up close.

I don't know if a cello gets stuffed into a gig bag, but it seems to me that you'd want something big enough to accomodate the instrument with a little room to spare.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

My brother also had a Jeep Cherokee . . .but it was brand new and FELL APART IMMEDIATELY AND CONSTANTLY

But everybody seems to have one . . . .

Our number one seller's remorse was our 92 Jeep Cherokee (pretty much base). I wish they still made them. My wife really regrets getting rid of it. It was a very versatile small SUV. And power to spare.

Tough as nails. Only had one problem toward the end, after driving it 100,000 miles in 8 or 9 years. The ball bearings on a pulley siezed up and caused it overheat, which required replacing the radiator. Not really that bad of deal for that many years, IMO.

But, I dare say that I would NOT buy a used one. They could have been abused in SO MANY ways, unless you know the owner/driver.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Oh, and the GMs --- can't agree with you more. I test-drove the Impala the other day. LOVED it, but I don't know about ground clearance. Do the other models do any better (supposedly Chevy says that it is within the specs of the Impala's design to bottom out in certain circumstances) in that area?

Most GM's actually ride a bit higher than competing models from other manufacturers. The other non SUV models you listed have lower ground clearances. Basically, unless you're doing something stupid, you're not going to bottom-out the impala.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have a civic and the rear seat folds down nicely. Plenty of cello room. I doubt you'd fit in it but it may be worth a stop at the dealer. The Accord is much bigger.

My new boss has a Subaru waggon/SUV thing. He likes it and the AWD.