New AirPods with updated design slated for fall launch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2021
An update to the AirPods line is anticipated to launch this fall, according to a newsletter, with a refreshed model expected to arrive alongside the "iPhone 13."

Apple is expected to launch a number of new products in the fall, including revisions to its AirPods family of devices. In a report, it will feature an updated design that will overhaul the appearance of the earwear.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Apple's redesign will be the biggest change to how the earbuds appear since their original launch. It is thought that the design changes will largely consist of making them more like the AirPods Pro.

While they will look more like the premium counterpart, Apple probably won't include high-end features like active noise cancellation in the AirPods 3.

An AirPods release has been on the cards for quite some time, with numerous reports claiming they are on the way. A June rumor had component suppliers preparing for orders from Apple in late 2021, while in July, a report claimed Apple's supply chain was preparing to start production of the new model in August.

Bloomberg itself reported on a potential redesign to the AirPods for 2021 in May, along with a refresh to the AirPods Pro in 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Definitely need some new AirPods soon.  I've had the current pair for two years and the batteries are starting to showing some issues.  Apple are going to be getting a ton of money from me in the next 5 months.  Two 16" MBP, AirPods, 2 iPhones and maybe a new Apple Watch.  Oh boy.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I hope they change the squeeze method of interacting with them, and keep the tapping or something else. So cumbersome to squeeze without them coming out or moving their position in your ear. So in other words, I hope they don't borrow that "feature" from the Pros.
    edited August 2021 Ot51
  • Reply 3 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    AI_lias said:
    I hope they change the squeeze method of interacting with them, and keep the tapping or something else. So cumbersome to squeeze without them coming out or moving their position in your ear. So in other words, I hope they don't borrow that "feature" from the Pros.
    Couldn't disagree more, tapping is uncomfortable, and squeezing is fine.  Tbh I'd rather just use my phone or watch anyway, I think the AirPods are small enough that on-device controls are a bit dumb.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Ot51Ot51 Posts: 2member
    AI_lias said:
    Couldn't agree more. The squeeze causes the pod to move which took ten minutes to get placed in the ear. The quick Tap is great.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    What would be really nice is to be able to change the volume by sliding your finger up or down the shaft/tail of the AirPod. . 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    When is Fall exactly?

Could you not use say the month?
    So what are we talking Octoberish. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Ot51 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Couldn't agree more. The squeeze causes the pod to move which took ten minutes to get placed in the ear. The quick Tap is great.
    I'm not too keen on the squeezing either. Tapping makes much more sense.