Apple ships 12.9M iPads in Q2, maintains dominant lead in tablet market

Posted:
in iPad
Apple is maintaining its dominance in the tablet market, shipping more iPad models in the June quarter than both Amazon and Samsung tablets combined, according to new research.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The Cupertino tech giant shipped an estimated 12.9 million iPads in the second quarter of 2021, which corresponds to Apple's third fiscal quarter, according to research firm IDC. For comparison, IDC says that Amazon and Samsung together shipped 12.3 million tablets during the period.

According to IDC, the entire global tablet market grew 4.2% year-over-year in Q2 2021. It hit a total of 40.5 million units.

Apple's 12.9 million units accounted for 31.9% of the total market. The next in line was Samsung, with 19.6% and 8 million units shipped. Lenovo ranked third with 4.7 million units and an 11.6% market share, while Amazon came in fourth with 4.3 million units and a 10.7% share.

The Cupertino tech giant did not have the highest rate of year-over-year growth, however. Apple grew 3.5% between Q2 2020 and Q2 2021. Lenovo had the highest growth with 64.5% growth year-over-year, while Amazon grew 20.3% year-over-year.

IDC also indicates that, while the tablet market is still booming, it is experiencing a slowdown from the surge in growth seen in preceding quarters. In addition, the research firm claims there are concerns that consumer tablet demand could slow much faster than related markets like Chromebooks or PCs.

Apple no longer reports individual unit sales, so IDC's data is based solely on estimates. However, in its last earnings report, Apple said the iPad brought in $7.37 billion in revenue in the June quarter. That marks an 11.9% year-over-year improvement and the iPad's best quarter in nearly a decade.

The California company is reportedly working on new tablet models for launch in 2021, including a redesigned "iPad mini 6," a refreshed iPad Air, and a new entry-level iPad.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This is the first I’m hearing of a new Air model in 2021. When did that happen? All the previous rumors pointed to ‘22 for the mini-LED treatment. 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Tablets have a more specific consumer circle than PCs. I'd expect Tablets would slow down after this previous big of a YoY jump. PCs will slow down too but maybe unlikely as much.

With a slowdown it is a game of each manufacturer trying to capture an outsized portion of the existing slowing sales number in order to keep revenue on a YoY growth pace.
    Apple is always poised to do well in the Tablet market but there is less to grab. But that doesn't guarantee it for Apple.

PCs? No chance of Apple grabbing an outsized portion of the slowing market sales total without introducing bigger screen Pro level laptops using M1 that has benchmarks that are commensurate with impressive benchmarks of the 13" MBA and MBP.  
    Chromebooks? Shouldn't even counted as PCs. Chromebooks are a limited PC like device that makes virtually no profit for manufacturers. Provided there are value adds and accessory sales to these manufacturers, yes they can make some profit. But IMHO Chromebook is a different category. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Japhey said:
    This is the first I’m hearing of a new Air model in 2021. When did that happen? All the previous rumors pointed to ‘22 for the mini-LED treatment. 
    There can be a new Air without mini LED. Mini LED is just a rumor so far.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    Good point. But it’s still the first time I’m hearing of this 2021 model. 
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    It’s been mentioned by several people.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    Respectfully, no. 
    I just went back through the last 9 months of rumors for the next Air. First, they were rumored to adapt OLED, then mini-LED, but both rumors have always pointed to ’22. If you could provide evidence for ’21, I will retract. But until then, I stand by what I’ve said…this is the first time anyone has suggested fall ’21. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    My Wife just opened up her new iPad Pro 11 (2021), upgraded from her iPad Pro 10.5.
    It's her b'day today!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    Respectfully, no. 
    I just went back through the last 9 months of rumors for the next Air. First, they were rumored to adapt OLED, then mini-LED, but both rumors have always pointed to ’22. If you could provide evidence for ’21, I will retract. But until then, I stand by what I’ve said…this is the first time anyone has suggested fall ’21. 
    I’m not going to spend time searching for older articles everywhere. But until the idea of Apple going OLED with the air, it was thought that it would be late this year.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    Respectfully, no. 
    I think you are correct on this. Also, Apple has refreshed the previous iPad Air model after 18 months interval. I expect the same would happen for the next generation iPad Air as well, i.e. Mar-2022 launch for the iPad Air 5.
    Japhey
  • Reply 10 of 11
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    Respectfully, no. 
    I’m not going to spend time searching for older articles everywhere. But until the idea of Apple going OLED with the air, it was thought that it would be late this year.
    Well, I did. I spent 45 minutes researching the last 9 months of rumors because I like to actually know what I’m talking about before posting my opinion on something. I don’t just talk out of my ass and make guesses, like you insist on doing here. I really don’t know what happened with the world that makes it so difficult for people to admit when they are wrong. But, by all means, double down on your vague generalities and faulty memory by citing your “it’s been said”, and “it was thought” arguments without providing any proof. 

Read Muthuk_vanalingam’s post above. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    Respectfully, no. 
    Well, I did. I spent 45 minutes researching the last 9 months of rumors because I like to actually know what I’m talking about before posting my opinion on something. I don’t just talk out of my ass and make guesses, like you insist on doing here. I really don’t know what happened with the world that makes it so difficult for people to admit when they are wrong. But, by all means, double down on your vague generalities and faulty memory by citing your “it’s been said”, and “it was thought” arguments without providing any proof. 

Read Muthuk_vanalingam’s post above. 
    Ok then. This one says it could come in October, or later this year, but maybe in 2022.

https://www.techradar.com/news/ipad-air-5

here’s another.

https://www.gottabemobile.com/4-reasons-to-wait-for-the-ipad-air-5-5-reasons-not-to/

‘’there were others I read further back.

im not saying I think these are correct, but we’re out there, like it or not.