Australia delivers Apple Wallet support for COVID-19 vaccine certificates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2021
Australians who received a COVID-19 vaccination can now carry around digital proof of inoculation in Apple Wallet thanks to new integration with the country's Express Plus Medicare app.

Australia's COVID-19 Digital Certificate

The Australian government this week rolled out a "COVID-19 digital certificate" that supports digital wallets like Apple Wallet and Google Pay, reports Tap Down Under. Having a copy of the certificate handy at all times will be beneficial if and when businesses and other entities begin to require vaccination status information.

According to a newly updated government webpage detailing the feature, Australians can access their digital certificate through the Express Plus Medicare app or online via my.gov.au.

Those using the Express Plus Medicare app for iOS are already logged in to the country's Medicare services and can simply select "Immunisation history" from the Services menu and tap on their name. A COVID-19 digital certificate will be displayed with options to add the document to Apple Wallet or Google Pay.

Accessing the digital certificate online requires that a user sign in with a myGov account, enter the Medicare section and select "View statement" on the "Immunisation history" tile. A PDF version of the certificate can be generated for storage in Wallet.

Like other passes, tickets and coupons stored in Wallet, Australia's COVID-19 digital certificate can be uploaded to iCloud and synced across all devices linked to a user's Apple ID.

Australia's digital certificate arrives days after the UK introduced its own "vaccination passport" with Wallet support. That document, called the NHS COVID Pass, is available to vaccinated individuals and can be downloaded from the NHS app for iOS.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    This may actually be the only thing they have gotten right given they ballsed up....

... literately everything else...

I can only assume this pass was slipped in someone in the team not telling anyone. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    This is all a dangerous precedent.  Authoritarian "Papers please".  

It is not ANYONE's business if you did or did not.  
    edited August 2021 mike54TheObannonFile
  • Reply 3 of 10

Unfortunately too many people don't think past tomorrow. Always an emotional knee jerk reaction to day's headline -- never a thought to what today's decision will mean in 2 months or 2 years later. 
    Imagine what today's "health" card might include in a year or two or three?  Virtually anything can be labeled as 'for the public health' when this is decided by scary headline!! and emotional knee jerk people. 
    No power given or right given away to the powerful is every given back. 
    mike54TheObannonFile
  • Reply 4 of 10
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Well…..most of our personal info are in public now a days. So why so afraid?? At least the wallet is somewhat secured
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Vaccine passports, and anyone who pushes them, can go to hell.
    It’s more likely the unvaccinated will be the first people in hell given they’re the ones who are making up the majority of hospital cases due to their stupidity. Darwinism in action.

As for vaccine passports, it’s a good temporary measure until the pandemic is over. Those of us who have travelled internationally in the past are familiar with the paper versions required for some countries. It’s no big deal unless you’re paranoid.
    elijahgronnStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 6 of 10
    seanj said:
    Vaccine passports, and anyone who pushes them, can go to hell.
    It’s more likely the unvaccinated will be the first people in hell given they’re the ones who are making up the majority of hospital cases due to their stupidity. Darwinism in action.

As for vaccine passports, it’s a good temporary measure until the pandemic is over. Those of us who have travelled internationally in the past are familiar with the paper versions required for some countries. It’s no big deal unless you’re paranoid.
    Who is making up anything is your belief learned from Where? Politicians? TV? A highly controlled, mass propagated and manipulated video medium, called TV,  is no doubt the home of higher evolutionary evolvement and thinking. Certainly politicians would be among you higher involved. 

It’s a good “temporary” measure? So again this is temporary because they said it on TV? Political leaders? Have they said anything before on TV about something being temporary and that wasn’t the case? I assume you must believe, as one of higher evolvement, that TV doesn’t make claims that are exaggerated or untrue. 

”Traveled international” (which I have), so international travel now includes the corner market, local post office, outdoors in a park, etc etc? 

Thank you for rising up to save us with your highly evolved critical thinking. No, Really, thanks but….I’ll pass. 
    mike54TheObannonFile
  • Reply 7 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Nonsense. As a society we have vaccine requirements for communal activities such as school, university, and international travel. 

Want to live in a cabin in the woods by yourself? Sure, do what ya wanna. Want to use public-facing services & accommodations? Be prepared to show you're not a lethal disease vector.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Vaccine passports or not, this global pandemic has been really useful in identifying idiots and sociopaths. 
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 10
    HedwareHedware Posts: 87member
    I am an Australian and fully vaccinated. I now have my vaccination passport in my Apple Wallet. Thanks Apple. 

I regard myself as an active member of my Australian society and getting vaccinated was good for me and is good for my fellow Australians. 

The various comments going on here about infringement of rights, not science, and so forth are just a load of codswallop, crap and anything else that fits, The people who have and are getting vaccinated have rights not to be infected by idiots and dickheads, and be allowed to get on with life as soon as possible. 
    watto_cobrajony0