PPC 970 date?

Comments

• Reply 201 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Apple can put the 970's out with 10.2.6 with a fix for the OS (allowing 32-bit OS to run on PPC970) and then be able to charge big for 10.3 (full 64-bit) in September.

They wouldn't do that would they?

Actually, I don't think they would. They'll probably also announce another Mac OS Up-To-Date program at WWDC, where people who buy 10.2 or a new computer with 10.2 on it after that date will get 10.3 for a "nominal charge", i.e. $20 s/h. That's how they keep sales up between when they announce all these killer features and when they ship.
  • Reply 202 of 344
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

I would think a MP G4+ 7457 (or the RM) on a 130nm process would be a pretty nice laptop machine.

Everyone would agree with this. The question is when these would be available. If the IBM 970 has been out for a while or even has migrated to a 0.09µm process by the time Motorola's MPC7457 or MPC7457-RM, which would you choose? And if Apple goes with IBM's 970 and Motorola's MPC 7457-RM wouldn't they have to support 2 significantly different motherboards.

Then there's IBM's roadmap with:

-Multicore Superscalar

-Integrated SIMD engine

-Rapid I/O

-n-way Crossbar Coreconnect

options, you know
  • Reply 203 of 344
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The G4+RM GTI what have you might be a nice CPU. But it is still the end of the line and made by a company that is on its way to leave desktop CPUs alltogether. So buying one is an investment in a dead end.

The G4 does not have a future in computers and the G5 is dead so Apple should get the 970 in as many computers as they can. Buying a 970 is an investment in the 980
  • Reply 204 of 344
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Everyone would agree with this. The question is when these would be available. If the IBM 970 has been out for a while or even has migrated to a 0.09µm process by the time Motorola's MPC7457 or MPC7457-RM, which would you choose? And if Apple goes with IBM's 970 and Motorola's MPC 7457-RM wouldn't they have to support 2 significantly different motherboards.

Then there's IBM's roadmap with:

-Multicore Superscalar

-Integrated SIMD engine

-Rapid I/O

-n-way Crossbar Coreconnect

options, you know

I'm just not sure about power usage with the high FSB of the 970, but time wil tell. A 1.5 GHz DP G4 130nm with a 7-10 hour battery life would be a nice PB. But Apple may know something they aren't telling with regards to MB/chip power use given that they came out with the power hungry 17" LCD model.

Of course if the 970 has similar power requirements I'll take it. A MP PB would definitely make it the year of the Laptop.
  • Reply 205 of 344
    I'm certainly glad to hear than the 970 is running ahead of schedule. And while I doubt it will appear in both the PowerMac and PowerBook at the same, I eagerly wait for both.

Has anyone else noticed that Moki has been unusually quiet lately? Any word from him? I value many people's opinion and knowledge on this forum, but his I trust the most as he seems to have friends on the inside.

Someone drop him a line and ask him to stop in here. Please.

TBoxman
  • Reply 206 of 344
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

The chipset in a 970 based machine will run at a higher clock rate than a G4 based machine's chipset runs. That will probably increase power/heat dissapation but no hard info is available on what that really works out to be in practice.

Apple can offset that somewhat by designing their 970 chipset to be fabbed on a better process than the current one(s).
  • Reply 207 of 344
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TBoxman

I'm certainly glad to hear than the 970 is running ahead of schedule. And while I doubt it will appear in both the PowerMac and PowerBook at the same, I eagerly wait for both.

Has anyone else noticed that Moki has been unusually quiet lately? Any word from him? I value many people's opinion and knowledge on this forum, but his I trust the most as he seems to have friends on the inside.

Someone drop him a line and ask him to stop in here. Please.

TBoxman

Apple scooped him up a few weeks ago for hi loose lips. SteveO has him locked up in LoopedDeadEnd North. They are interogating him and promise to have his source's head within the week.

I enoyed his hints too, but it seems to be all but a distant memory.
  • Reply 208 of 344
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    a bit of topic, but does these rumors about apple buying universal

mean that apple has finally gotten their processor roadmap in order? "Apple presents to you its new music service featuring Apple/Universal Records. In conjuction with their new G5(powered by IBM's 970 microprocessor) allows for the easiest and most consumer friendly internet music buying experience.

Use it with your latest 30 gig Ipod now".
  • Reply 209 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

a bit of topic, but does these rumors about apple buying universal

mean that apple has finally gotten their processor roadmap in order?

Um, no? If the music service requires the horsepower of a 970, Apple is just about to shoot themselves in the foot. With an RPG.
  • Reply 210 of 344
    What i meant was that if these rumors turn out to be true,

apple must have their processor roadmap in order,otherwise why spend about 6 billion on a record label,when your major source of revenue (COMPUTERS) is lagging in terms of performance. 970 is ready that we know and apple is gonna use it, if rumors are an indication.
  • Reply 211 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

What i meant was that if these rumors turn out to be true,

apple must have their processor roadmap in order,otherwise why spend about 6 billion on a record label,when your major source of revenue (COMPUTERS) is lagging in terms of performance. 970 is ready that we know and apple is gonna use it, if rumors are an indication.

You know what? This is actually a good point. If there is ANY truth to Apple even considering blowing their entire cash reserve on anything (especially a music label), then Steve must be suprememly confident about hardware sales over the next 12-24 months.
  • Reply 212 of 344
    Well, that and UMG would more than double their gross revenue and add $500 million per quarter in profit...

Apple has been building up to something for quite a while now. More to the point, why on earth would they buy Shake and its ilk if they didn't anticipate something like the 970?

Heh. I saw one of the WWDC sessions from last year, and the guy, who was one of the researchers in the numerics group, was explaining a graph where AltiVec performance just kicked ass until it suddenly got throttled. He explained that the bus was responsible, and said that there was no way around it for now. I get the sense that Apple has been waiting for the 970 rather impatiently.
  • Reply 213 of 344
    true but shake was nowhere the vecinity of 6 Billion! dollars!
  • Reply 214 of 344
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by costique

Quote:

Originally posted by Derrick 61:

<strong>I can tell you EXACTLY when the pMac 970 will be released...

One month after I buy a G4 tower!</strong><hr></blockquote>

So do it now!

Okay...I did it...couldn't wait any longer.

They shipped my G4 today, so

970 to be announced on May 11, but that's a Sunday, so I'll call it May 13 so it can be on a Tuesday (I saw in here somewhere that Apple likes to announce on Tuesdays)

• Reply 215 of 344
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    This is what will be available from the other side at the end of the month. Specs from Intel "Canterwood/SpringDale" mobo

(it looks a lot like nForce 2):

FSB 800 MHz

Dual-DDR 266/333/400 (up to 6 DIMMS !)

AGP 4X/8X

Audio : 5.1 with SPDIF out

2 IDE ATA 66/100

SATA 150 (+ RAID)

Dual-LAN : Fast Ethernet 10/100Mb

8 USB 2.0 ports

1 Firewire 400 port

5 PCI

Hoping we will have this and better with the 970 mobo.

I see something like this:

FSB up to 900 MHz with HyperTransport

Dual DDR 266/333/400

AGP 4x/8x

Digital Audio 5.1

2 IDE ATA 66/100

SATA 150

Gigabit Ethernet

4 USB 2.0

2 FireWire 400 / 1 FireWire 800

4 PCI
  • Reply 216 of 344
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Let's rename this forum. It should be called the "Intel-Apple Hardware Comparison Forum" or "Look How Far Behind We Are Forum" or maybe "Look How Cheap I Can Buy a Wintel Box Forum".

It seem as if almost every topic gets there eventually.

Is it just me or does it bother others too?
  • Reply 217 of 344
    [Edit:] Wrong thread!
  • Reply 218 of 344
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    edit - need more time to put this thought into the correct wording...I'll be back...
  • Reply 219 of 344
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    edit: PC just crashed, need to reboot, defrag, and reinstall. be right back in four hours.
  • Reply 220 of 344
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Damn, got hit by three virii in a row. gotta buy a new PC.