Apple TV+ lands star-studded spy thriller 'Argylle' from Matthew Vaughn

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ is nearing completion of a deal for "Argylle," an upcoming spy thriller from Matthew Vaughn whose star-studded cast will include Henry Cavill and Dua Lipa.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Based on an upcoming spy novel of the same name by author Ellie Conway, "Argylle" follows the world's greatest spy "as he is caught up in a globe-trotting adventure," according to Deadline. Both Apple and Vaughn confirmed the news to deadline, though didn't mention price. The publication reports that the asking price was about $200 million.

"I'm thrilled to team with Apple and bring the most compelling spy thriller I've ever read to the only streaming service that can create a franchise of this scale and quality for global audiences to experience," Vaughn told Deadline

Cavill is set to star in the film. Notably, it will also mark Dua Lipa's first debut on the screen. Additionally, John Cena, Bryce Dallas Howard, Samuel L. Jackson, Sam Rockwell, Catherine O'Hara, and Bryan Cranston have also signed onto the project.

Vaughn is known for films like "Kingsman" and "Stardusts." He and Apple also have a current relationship, since the Cupertino tech giant landed the rights to "Tetris: The Movie" in 2020.

The script was penned by Jason Fuchs, who is also producing along with regular Vaughn collaborators Adam Bohling and David Reid. Zygi Kamasa, Carlos Peres, Claudia Vaughn, and Adam Fishbach are also set to executive produce.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    "Stardusts"?  :D

I assume with that cast it'll be at least partly campy and comedic.  I don't think a straight spy thriller suits Matthew Vaughn's style.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 2 of 7
    AppleTV+ is really trying. They have got a lot in the pipeline too. Someone at Apple must see some big potential.

Succeeding? That's a different discussion. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This has a lot of potential, lots of talented actors and some more cinema quality production. This is the kind of content that will set Apple TV+ service apart. They won't all be hits but it's a good direction to go in. The problem with TV series is they draw out the story too much and it waters down the entertainment. It offers more runtime but it's usually weaker overall unless it's top-end production like Game of Thrones. Movies are more concise and this encourages leaving the weaker parts on the cutting room floor.

Even though top productions like The Madalorian are good for a TV series, the Star Wars movies are still far above it in terms of quality and mindshare.

The following says this movie will be the first of three:

https://www.slashfilm.com/argylle-movie/

That describes it like an alternative James Bond series:

"When I read this early draft manuscript I felt it was the most incredible and original spy franchise since Ian Fleming’s books of the ’50s,” Vaughn said in a statement. “This is going to reinvent the spy genre.”"

The movie The Man from Uncle with Cavill wasn't very good but he was ok in Mission Impossible. That site also suggests they may be hiding some details in that it could be Bryce Dallas Howard that's the novelist-turned-spy and not Cavill.

Matthew Vaughn:

Bryce Dallas Howard:

Cavill:

Samuel L. Jackson:

• Reply 4 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Marvin said:
    This has a lot of potential, lots of talented actors and some more cinema quality production. This is the kind of content that will set Apple TV+ service apart. They won't all be hits but it's a good direction to go in. The problem with TV series is they draw out the story too much and it waters down the entertainment. It offers more runtime but it's usually weaker overall unless it's top-end production like Game of Thrones. Movies are more concise and this encourages leaving the weaker parts on the cutting room floor.

Even though top productions like The Madalorian are good for a TV series, the Star Wars movies are still far above it in terms of quality and mindshare.

The following says this movie will be the first of three:

https://www.slashfilm.com/argylle-movie/

That describes it like an alternative James Bond series:

"When I read this early draft manuscript I felt it was the most incredible and original spy franchise since Ian Fleming’s books of the ’50s,” Vaughn said in a statement. “This is going to reinvent the spy genre.”"

The movie The Man from Uncle with Cavill wasn't very good but he was ok in Mission Impossible. That site also suggests they may be hiding some details in that it could be Bryce Dallas Howard that's the novelist-turned-spy and not Cavill.

Matthew Vaughn:

[snip]

Bryce Dallas Howard:

[snip]

Cavill:

[snip]

Samuel L. Jackson:

[snip]
    Why have you posted the trailers for a load of different films?  I think everyone understands that actors are in other things.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Oh, so *that’s* what Samuel L Jackson looks like. I always wondered. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pairof9pairof9 Posts: 74member
    AppleTV+ is really trying. They have got a lot in the pipeline too. Someone at Apple must see some big potential.

What was AMC before they landed Mad Men, which beget Breaking Bad, which beget Walking Dead. It just takes that one hit to get people going more often, and perhaps Ted Lasso is that show (at least for 3 seasons). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

Seriously. A LOT in the pipeline. Wasn’t there supposed to be a show or movie about a spy or gangster that went to India to hide out? Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, it’s been so long. AI needs to do an article about all these new projects that are coming, instead of the usual ones that only talk about shows already out.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra