Female Apple employee put on administrative leave following tweets about sexism in the wor...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2021
Apple senior engineering program manager Ashley Gjovik was placed on indefinite administrative leave this week after she posted a number of tweets chronicling alleged sexism and discrimination in the workplace.

Apple Park

Gjovik, inspired by other public accounts of sexism in Big Tech, began to tweet about her experience at Apple in late July.

Among her claims is an allegation that Apple offered entry into an employee assistance program and suggested she take medical leave as they investigated her reports of sexism, discrimination and a hostile work environment.

The Apple employee detailed her ordeal in an interview with The Verge.

"For months, I have been raising concerns with Apple employee relations about years of experiences with sexism, a hostile work environment, sexual harassment, unsafe working conditions, and retaliation," Gjovik said. "I asked them to mitigate the hostile work environment while they investigate, and they initially offered me EAP therapy and medical leave. I told them that made no sense, and said they should talk to my leadership and set up oversight and boundaries. I added that if there was no other option they could give me paid administrative leave. They apparently made no effort to set boundaries and instead said they were placing me on administrative leave and implied they did not want me on Slack where I had been vocal about my concerns with certain policies at the company. They also implied they didn't want me to meet one-on-one with other women at the company about their concerns with Apple policies, which I had been doing."

Gjovik in a tweet on Aug. 2 shared a screenshot of a Messages conversation that allegedly illustrates the type of sex discrimination she faces. In the discussion, a male higher-up provides feedback on a recent presentation, saying that Gjovik "did great" by refraining from raising her voice at the end of sentences. Managers noted the inflection made statements sound like questions.

The supposed "issue" was included as part of an initial investigation into a number of concerns including sexism, potentially unsafe working conditions and intimidation, according to a tweet. Apple reportedly attempted to quickly quash the matter, but Gjovik more recently provided the company with some 558 pieces of evidence to back up her claims in a second inquiry.

In a separate tweet, Gjovik spoke out about Apple's planned return to office work. She also pushed back against Apple's handling of COVID-19 medical exceptions.

On Wednesday, Gjovik sent out an office message saying she was put on administrative leave as Apple investigates her assertions, the report says. She is also barred from accessing Apple's internal Slack channels.

As noted in the report, Apple has seen an uptick in employee activism over the past few months. In May, workers at the iPhone maker voiced concern over the hiring of former Facebook advertising manager Antonio Garcia Martinez, claiming a passage from his 2016 autobiography "Chaos Monkeys" reflected controversial views on women and people of color. He was fired hours later.

Edited with clarification from Gjovik.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I added that if there was no other option they could give me paid administrative leave.

… and this is where I started to get suspicious. 

patchythepiratered oakFileMakerFellerspock1234pichaelFidonet127watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 52
    iadlibiadlib Posts: 95member
    I had a regional manager, whom I asked to keep my concerns private until we met in person, meet with my direct manager behind my back. Apple doesn’t care to change the secret sauce unless it’s forced to. 
    uraharadysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 52
    It is remarkable how Covid-19 isolation can negatively affect some people who are well off much more than some others who are struggling to survive.
    patchythepiratespock1234BeatsdrdavidJWSCdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 52
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    She sounds like trouble. I had a coworker who was always looking for trouble. She would flirt trying to look for a reaction so she can claim that someone was hitting on her and contact HR. 
    patchythepiratenetroxapplesauce007pulseimagesgenovellespock1234BeatspichaeluraharaOctoMonkey
  • Reply 5 of 52
    I will never understand people who feel the need to bite the hand that feeds. She sounds more like she was pissed about not being able to continue to work remotely, so she trashed her company…which is about as progressive as companies get…for being sexist. 

Unbelievable. She should be grateful she has such an awesome job. There are probably thousands who would gladly take her place. 
    spock1234Beatspichaelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 52
    "Ok, you want me to put my life at risk, decrease my productivity, and you're not giving me any logic on why I actually need to do that?" 

Many companies would fire people for this statement alone.
    Sometimes people need to be reminded that they are not indispensable.

Let's see, I drive to work in my private car, park in my private parking and work in my private air purified office with the option of working from home if I want to.
    Oooh, ain't life a bitch!
    edited August 2021 JFC_PAradarthekatspock1234BeatsikirpichaelOctoMonkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 52
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    She seems more than a little unstable if you look at her Twitter history.  Best if Apple shows her the door 

IMO  

PS -  She has about a zero chance of ever working at a leading tech firm ever again 

radarthekatspock1234ikirpichaelOctoMonkeywatto_cobrajajabento
  • Reply 8 of 52
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Telling someone not to make their statements sound like questions because of the intonation in their voice is sexist? Give me a break.

Also agree with the poster above. This person might as well leave the Bay Area. Their career in big tech is over. 
    radarthekatJapheyspock1234ikirpichaelcoolfactorOctoMonkeyapplguywatto_cobrajajabento
  • Reply 9 of 52
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    I'd guess by her quotes and actions around this she may be off. No stable person publicizes a personal issue prior to an unfavorable outcome. Based on that alone I would fire her. The good thing about the modern world is that now that she has gone public she has ruined her chance of future employment with other companies and will be the hot potato in the office that no one will accept as a team member.
    radarthekatspock1234pichaelcoolfactorapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 52
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Career suicide
    radarthekatspock1234Beatspichaelwatto_cobrajajabento
  • Reply 11 of 52
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    payeco said:
    Telling someone not to make their statements sound like questions because of the intonation in their voice is sexist? Give me a break.

Also agree with the poster above. This person might as well leave the Bay Area. Their career in big tech is over. 
    That intonation quirk is confusing and almost painful to listen to for me. I’ve sat through a few presentations that I was so distracted from wanting to get out of the room I didn't hear half of what she said. 
    radarthekatpichaelOctoMonkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 52
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I added that if there was no other option they could give me paid administrative leave.

… and this is where I started to get suspicious. 

Same here….   this situation has to be handled with “kid gloves”
    spock1234pichaelpembrokeBeats
  • Reply 13 of 52
    FC49erFC49er Posts: 19member
    There is more to this story. Not saying it didn't happen, but her story seems a little off.
    spock1234pichaelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 52
    snowflake   
    spock1234pichaelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Anyone with a brain doesn't take the route this woman has taken unless they know it is already over.

radarthekatspock1234pichaelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 52
    tylersdad said:
    I will never understand people who feel the need to bite the hand that feeds. She sounds more like she was pissed about not being able to continue to work remotely, so she trashed her company…which is about as progressive as companies get…for being sexist. 

Unbelievable. She should be grateful she has such an awesome job. There are probably thousands who would gladly take her place. 
    You think that a hostile work environment is "such an awesome job"?

You're not in her place.  You have ZERO insight into this.  You're a male, at that.  Apple or any corp isn't "the hand that feeds".  Getting paid is *compensation* for work done.  It's not a gift. It's not a hand out.  It's a contracted agreement.

If someone's dad who knows sh*t about what's really going on with her situation feels free to be sexist and assuming and thinks he knows what's right for her and have nothing to gain or lose, what do you think the possibilities are for others at the Apple who equally do not know her specific circumstance but may have their job performance judged on how their handling of this affects the company?

Have a bit of empathy.  Or of you can't or won't muster that much, try some sympathy.  Still lacking that and feeling a bit sociopathic here?  Silence works.

drdavidmuthuk_vanalingammangakattenblastdoorBeatsuraharaStrangeDaysbonobobchemengin1mariowinco
  • Reply 17 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tylersdad said:

You're not in her place.  You have ZERO insight into this.  You're a male, at that.  Apple or any corp isn't "the hand that feeds".  Getting paid is *compensation* for work done.  It's not a gift. It's not a hand out.  It's a contracted agreement.

If someone's dad who knows sh*t about what's really going on with her situation feels free to be sexist and assuming and thinks he knows what's right for her and have nothing to gain or lose, what do you think the possibilities are for others at the Apple who equally do not know her specific circumstance but may have their job performance judged on how their handling of this affects the company?

Have a bit of empathy.  Or of you can't or won't muster that much, try some sympathy.  Still lacking that and feeling a bit sociopathic here?  Silence works.

I have worked with many women. 
    The best didn’t get involved in male / female issues - or any such issues.   Instead they put all that they had into doing the best job that they could serving the company.   As a result, they weren’t harassed.  They were valued and respected. 

Admittedly, I was fortunate to work for some great companies with great management - where people like this were simply not tolerated by staff or by management. 
    coolfactorBeatsuraharamariowinco
  • Reply 18 of 52
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    tylersdad said:

I think neither you nor her would know an actual hostile work environment if it bit you both in be ass. 

Apple owes her nothing. There are thousands of engineers ready to take her place. 

Good riddance. 
    ikirpichaelBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 52
    If you look on Glassdoor at the reviews employees leave about working for Apple, a lot of them mention that Apple has hired many asshole managers from other companies, specifically mentioned was Electronic Arts.  In turn, those managers hired other peers away from EA and made the environment pretty bad and a lot of good talent was leaving or left Apple. This was years ago. 

From what I have been reading on her Twitter feed from replies from other Apple employees is, the treatment that she has received from her managers was not sexist, just rude. Many have received the same feedback and some have received the same feedback by female managers. So she has a bunch of assholes for managers which is unfortunate, but not illegal. 
    This could be the reason why she does not want to go back because it limits her exposure to them. While that is understandable, it isn’t something Apple will do because it’s a slippery slope when you start making accommodations for not getting along with leaders. This also could explain why they wanted her to seek therapy to undercover what is the root of this issue. 

Ultimately it looks like there will be some sort of quiet settlement because Apple doesn’t want the publicity, plus it adds ammo to the other employees who don’t want to go back to work at Apple Park. 

watto_cobrajajabento
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Speaking from experience, if there is a official investigation taking place and this employee is violating a order to stay off Slack and refrain from meeting w/other female employees to discuss anything related to her concerns, those actions will be viewed as tampering w/the investigation. That kind of strike against her just makes it easier for the lawyers to begin the process of showing her the door.
    edited August 2021 ikirpichaelcoolfactordewmeDovalwatto_cobrajajabento