AirPods Pro get Conversation Boost in latest beta firmware release

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2021
According to recent reports, Apple's latest AirPods Pro beta firmware release includes support for Conversation Boost, a new technology that makes it easier for people with mild to moderate hearing challenges to engage in conversations.

AirPods Pro

While Apple failed to provide release notes for the second AirPods Pro beta firmware that was issued last week, those brave enough to test out the new software discovered the addition of Conversation Boost and shared their findings on Reddit.

Released on Friday, firmware version 4A362b was previously thought to include minor performance enhancements and tweaks.

Announced at Apple's worldwide Developers Conference in June, Conversation Boost leverages microphone beamforming and machine learning technology to isolate human voices. The feature is tuned to focus on a person speaking directly in front of a user, making it easier for AirPods Pro owners to focus during face-to-face conversations.

Conversation Boost can also filter out distracting ambient noise. The feature is set to debut with iOS 15 this fall and will at launch be limited to AirPods Pro hardware.

Last week's AirPods Pro beta was the second for Apple after the company said it would open testing to developers in June. An initial release in July delivered FaceTime Spatial Audio and Ambient Noise Reduction.

Developers can download the latest beta with Conversation Boost directly from Apple's developer website. The download requires an iPhone running iOS 15, a Mac with Xcode 13 and a pair of fully charged AirPods Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    At least there is no auto play video in this article.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Maybe my Wife will benefit from this feature when watching TV...nothing to my knowledge has mentioned this capability. We'll find out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mobird said:
    Maybe my Wife will benefit from this feature when watching TV...nothing to my knowledge has mentioned this capability. We'll find out.
    The share function might be what you and your wife could use? Both APPs can connect to AppleTV or Airplay through the iPhone. Each set of APPs get the same audio but there is individual volume control. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    entropys said:
    How are you accessing the site? Web? I use the AI app on iPhone or iPad and I’ve never had auto play videos. I would definitely find them annoying if I did though. 
    ArchStantonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Japhey said:
    entropys said:
    How are you accessing the site? Web? I use the AI app on iPhone or iPad and I’ve never had auto play videos. I would definitely find them annoying if I did though. 
    It is. AI and other sites have to pay for the site so it is understandable some ads must be run. But some sites fill every corner with ads and videos and makes the site not very usable. I don't think that's AI but its web access usually does have a video playing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Japhey said:
    entropys said:
    It is. AI and other sites have to pay for the site so it is understandable some ads must be run. But some sites fill every corner with ads and videos and makes the site not very usable. I don't think that's AI but its web access usually does have a video playing. 
    These are AI’s videos. Usually nothing to do with the story. Once you scroll past them they pop up in a bar at the bottom and continue to play. Incredibly annoying. 
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacdope_ahminewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    entropys said:
    Oh there is for me. Why AI feels it’s a good idea to burn my battery and data and screen estate with these videos is a fucking mystery. 
    edited August 2021 dope_ahminewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 15
    entropys said:
    There was one for me.  In Safari on a MacBook Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    JBSlough said:
    Japhey said:
    entropys said:
    These are AI’s videos. Usually nothing to do with the story. Once you scroll past them they pop up in a bar at the bottom and continue to play. Incredibly annoying. 

Yes....
    And I wonder what the purpose is?   Who benefits from it?   Typically the videos have little or nothing to do with the story you clicked on. 
    dope_ahminejony0
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Boy did this thread get distracted!

Back to the story:
    This feature will help to undermine what I consider to be the highly corrupt, monopolistic hearing aid industry that has been ripping off Americans (mostly seniors who often can least afford it) for decades.   They had total control over hearing aids and the message was:  "If you want to hear, you have to pay us whatever we demand (which will be in the thousands)".
    ...  It had many of the hallmarks of the mafia protection & extortion racket.
    MacProjony0
  • Reply 11 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
     I assume the iPhone isn't used as a microphone? That's amazing.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 15
    MacPro said:
    I've told that there are third party apps that have been doing that.

watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 15
    MacPro said:
    I've told that there are third party apps that have been doing that.

Right, that's why I had always assumed that was necessary.  The article here doesn't really state how this works which is a shame.  I would assume the setup is done with an app though.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 15
    What just dawned on me is:   How are firmware updates made on Airpods?   Are the Airpods updated automatically?  I've never seen any notifications or controls on updates to my Airpods.   Nor have I seen any indication that my Airpods have ever been updated.

Perhaps Apple should think about having a settings for the iPods?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    What just dawned on me is:   How are firmware updates made on Airpods?   Are the Airpods updated automatically?  I've never seen any notifications or controls on updates to my Airpods.   Nor have I seen any indication that my Airpods have ever been updated.

Perhaps Apple should think about having a settings for the iPods?
    It escapes me for the moment, I had to research this a while back and there was a way!
    edited August 2021 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra